HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
If you have a medical condition where you benefit from smoking weed then it definitely matters. If you just want to smoke, which I feel is most people, then it could matter. I visited Houston and a friend of mine was buying some weed. He drove up to the dealer, driver window to driver window. The dealer threw the weed into my friend's car and my friend threw the money at the dealer. After going into basically a pharmacy for a few years since living in LA to buy weed, traveling back in time like this was very weird and sketchy. Imagine having to do that with alcohol. People would for sure avoid living in those cities.
Medical is one thing. California has had 'medical' since the mid 1990s -- which was basically recreational legal, it just excluding non-residents compared to now, which is open to anybody over the age of 21.

The medical argument is even more diluted because now there are numerous states all over the country that have medical laws.

Medical marijuana in Calif. is similar to therapy dog laws. Any dog can qualify and it is illegal to ask anybody nor discriminate against anybody with a dog. You will see chihuahuas in restaurants because you can't question that person without risking a law suit.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I mean you just said it and we all know that's how you really feel.
Example #2 lol

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

Yeah, maybe it was out of left field. I've never been so fortunate to have a friend be accepted [!] by the academy, so I guess I really wouldn't know. I've just heard that when Air Force pilots conduct missions, they like to visualize their missiles being shot straight out of the awesome asshole of the Lord.

Better weed?
You obviously think becoming an officer and attending an academy is a joke? The Naval Academy is one of the highest ranking colleges in the country. I feel like a lot of civilians have zero clue about anything military related... You guys think its all tanks and grunts.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No it does not. Racism is prejudice plus power, there is no group in the western world that has the power to be racist towards white people, white people do not experience racism in America, they never have and never will. You can call it prejudice but not racism.
Here are the actual definitions:

Racism:
Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Racist:
A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

Make note that nowhere in it does it mention "power" in reference to your post.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I can't speak for pj3000, but it's obvious to me that what he said is a little more nuanced than what you're giving him credit for.

Replace "white" with "white bread" and what he's saying becomes more clear.

I can relate; I'm Asian and my partner is white---and even my partner makes fun of white people, at least certain kinds of them. I mean come on, who WOULDN'T say that Jello is old white people food? Pj3000 used Patagonia to convey what he was saying; I would've used North Face or New Balance... doesn't that say it all?

This is why my partner and I have yet to visit Oregon/Portland; it's low on our list of places to visit. But from everyone we've heard from who has been there or who lives there, it all seems so "Stuff White People Like."

When you're used to being from and living in an ethnically and racially diverse place like the Los Angeles area, you can take that diversity for granted sometimes, and then you notice it when you go to a place that's less diverse. I also think that's what pj3000 was getting at. Again, I can relate. When I first visited suburban Wisconsin, I was surprised at how white it is. Being from LA, I wasn't used to seeing white people working at fast-food restaurants, or white people working housekeeping at hotels.

Just like when I first visited Hawaii... I wasn't used to seeing Asian car mechanics, or Asian electricians, or Asians stocking food at a regular supermarket, vs. an Asian market. :-P
I see where youre coming from but adding in 'annoyingly' kind of adds a very negative tent to his response. I personally don't care if he uses the sentence, or hates white people, or just prefers a more mixed area(I do too) but I just wanted to point out hypocrisy in places like this.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Here are the actual definitions:

Racism:
Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Racist:
A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

Make note that nowhere in it does it mention "power" in reference to your post.
Adding "power" is what all the kids started doing about a decade ago when their narrative started drying up a bit.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I don't think you understand, Nevada is like 95% federal land. Most of it is BLM land that the feds should not be holding, if you all remember the famous Bundy Ranch Standoff from a few years back.

People back east tend to think the feds only own National parks and military basses but they own huge swaths of land out west that isn't special, protected, sacred or anything else, they just own it arbitrarily.
um, just because a bunch of idiots staged an armed takeover of government managed land dosent somehow validate their actions or their claims

having spent extensive time camping and hiking in the Southwest (Utah, New Mexico, southern border of Texas, Nevada), im glad that the government has preserved this land from development, and remains as a birthright to all Americans. its one of our national treasures.

when you say "they own huge swaths of land out west that isn't special, protected, sacred or anything else", youre speaking for yourself. that land being managed by BLM means it is by default protected, thats the whole point. theyre some of the few remaining true wildernesses in this country..why would you want it to be turned over to mining interests? if you dont see value in an massive rugged landscape filled with wildlife untouched by development thats your own problem.

this:

is so much better when its turned into this:

amirite?

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jul 20, 2018 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:17 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
We've talked about this at length, and it's simply not true. What's the standard in Phoenix is the exception in Philadelphia.
...because Philly was already an established major city when Phoenix was still a one horse town. As were most of its surrounding towns. Unless they demolished half of Center City to build surface lots and Sam's Clubs everywhere, there's no way Philly could resemble anything built a century later. Now, had Phoenix been discovered and developed a century earlier, it would look VERY different. My own city, Houston is evident of that. The few areas that were around 100+ years ago look like Philly (denser) while the rest of it looks more like Phoenix and no one builds like the 18th century anymore due to costs, land use restrictions, ADA and so on.

Quote:
No it does not. Racism is prejudice plus power, there is no group in the western world that has the power to be racist towards white people, white people do not experience racism in America, they never have and never will. You can call it prejudice but not racism.
What? Racism is most certainly targeted at whites. Perhaps the term you are looking for is "institutionalized racism"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
im glad that the government has preserved this land from development, and remains as a birthright to all Americans. its one of our national treasures.
This x1000

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
having spent extensive time camping and hiking in the Southwest (Utah, New Mexico, southern border of Texas, Nevada), im glad that the government has preserved this land from development, and remains as a birthright to all Americans. its one of our national treasures.
Me too. Nevada will never be able to develop those lands anyways because of water rights or rather lack of water.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:34 PM

mining and oil extraction is the bigger concern (see: scott pruitt)

this is a good read on uranium mining in the Southwest

https://harpers.org/archive/2017/10/states-of-decay/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
mining and oil extraction is the bigger concern (see: scott pruitt)
You can mine on Federal lands, you can cut timber in national forests.

We've detonated nuclear bombs on federal lands.

The Barry Goldwater bombing range takes up a huge wilderness area of southern Arizona.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:45 PM

thats all true. still, a lot of BLM land has strong restrictions precisely because they had been so badly degraded and exploited in the past (or more of it certainly would have been were it in public hands).

while there are active bombing ranges in certain places, thats the exception rather than the rule

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
thats all true. still, a lot of BLM land has strong restrictions precisely because they had been so badly degraded and exploited in the past.
And I would rather preserve these precious lands. There aren't too many places left on the planet, especially in the U.S. They are definitely a national treasure.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
We've talked about this at length, and it's simply not true. What's the standard in Phoenix is the exception in Philadelphia.
I really think you guys don't know what Phoenix actually looks like

1920's neighborbhood:
https://goo.gl/maps/cBpvL67321C2

Post ww2 :

https://goo.gl/maps/Rwcg5BFvrnm

1950's-1960's:

https://goo.gl/maps/EkxP9CypgA52

1970's-1980's

https://goo.gl/maps/fXWiqx3P5f62

90's-early 00's

https://goo.gl/maps/T4uztNx4Mv72

Contemporary Suburb:

https://goo.gl/maps/4snjGcrjsnr

Mid Century multi family:

https://goo.gl/maps/Pi93otcz3m82

Suburban multi-family:

https://goo.gl/maps/5aXUTdHCh9J2

Modern multi-family

https://goo.gl/maps/sPfp47UdxgP2

Do we have pre WW2 row-housing and tenement apartment buildings now turned loft? No because the city didn't exist then. But I guarantee you the types of housing built around Phoenix in the last 60 years is the same as every other metro area contemporarily.

It isn't some magical place where tastes in homes is magically different.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
um, just because a bunch of idiots staged an armed takeover of government managed land dosent somehow validate their actions or their claims

amirite?

Once a again you are confusing preserves, reservations, State and National parks with PLM land.

That is not BLM land and the oil lands you show below never looked like the desert above.

BLM land is not for preservation and it wasn't taken into trust to avoid exploitation it was taken when the states joined the union to, as it says, be managed. NOT PRESERVED. It isn't public parkland for people to enjoy.

And in a somewhat separate note, most of what the BLM land has isn't oil producing, it would be ranch land, it would never look like what you posted, and furthermore still. Its nice for somebody who isn't reliant on the income from those lands to say form on high that "its better that this land is kept as a preserve" maybe you would have another opinion if your family and community relied on that land.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
thats all true. still, a lot of BLM land has strong restrictions precisely because they had been so badly degraded and exploited in the past (or more of it certainly would have been were it in public hands).
That is not true.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
And I would rather preserve these precious lands. There aren't too many places left on the planet, especially in the U.S. They are definitely a national treasure.
Half of the USA is completely empty: https://i.imgur.com/8o21VP3.png

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
None of the U.S. is "empty". Just because an area isn't plowed over with endless concrete doesn't mean it doesn't have worth.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 8:12 PM
Never Dell

Yes, preserve.

I didn't appreciate the desert until I lived there. My dad worked for the BLM and showed me some of it...sagebrush is full of living things, and there's a lot of more photogentic stuff out there too.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 8:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That all has to do with access to water and I agree with what you're saying in your other posts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions