HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 1:41 PM
Community Guy

Major Development Permit
Reference Id: Job No 471976665-002
Description: To construct a mixed-Use (main floor General Retail Store Use with 72 Dwellings of Multi-unit Housing on floors 2-5) building with an underground parkade.
Plan 2120299 Blk 7 Lot 3
Applicant: NEXT ARCHITECTURE
Create Date: 2023/05/10
Neighbourhood: BLATCHFORD AREA

-----

Major Development Permit
Reference Id: Job No 475476923-002
Description: To Construct 4 buildings of Multi-unit Housing (Row Housing) for a total of 26 Dwellings and Renewable Energy Systems building (3.2m x 5.3m)
Plan 1822441 Blk 4 Lot 5
Applicant: STREETSIDE DEVELOPMENTS
Create Date: 2023/06/15
Neighbourhood: BLATCHFORD AREA

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 1:30 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 1:46 PM
Community Guy

“If we look at [Blatchford’s rate of development] on that scale, it is actually pretty impressive in my mind. The original business case was extraordinarily aggressive. So, to measure ourselves against that is not constructive.”
Stevenson’s words echo those of an October 2022 report on Blatchford prepared by city administration, which similarly referred to the project’s initial timelines as “aggressive” and not totally “realistic.” The report was in response to a motion asking administration to investigate the project’s costs and the possibility of the City stepping aside as developer in an attempt to speed up progress.'

Interesting set of comments.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 3:02 PM

With no single family home options (due to city ideology vs catering to the market), the potential customer base for Blatchford is severely limited. Why would one buy a super expensive townhome, when the private sector is stepping up offering green options, near net-zero SINGLE-FAMILY homes at a lower cost. Sure, those homes may be in the suburbs, but it's all new and all safe.

And why, for the love of God, did city planners not co-ordinate the first phase of Blatchford development with the development of the LRT???!

If I bought a home in Blatchford today, I could not access the future LRT station because there is NO connection!! And guess what, that means sticking to driving.

I swear, the city has no sense of business understanding; just relying on the taxpayer to continue to prop everything up. So sad.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 3:23 PM
Community Guy

'And why, for the love of God, did city planners not co-ordinate the first phase of Blatchford development with the development of the LRT???!'

This confused/es the hell out of me.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
“If we look at [Blatchford’s rate of development] on that scale, it is actually pretty impressive in my mind. The original business case was extraordinarily aggressive. So, to measure ourselves against that is not constructive.”
Stevenson’s words echo those of an October 2022 report on Blatchford prepared by city administration, which similarly referred to the project’s initial timelines as “aggressive” and not totally “realistic.” The report was in response to a motion asking administration to investigate the project’s costs and the possibility of the City stepping aside as developer in an attempt to speed up progress.'

Interesting set of comments.
Aggressive, hmmm. Hell, here in Vancouver when the "reduce poverty by 75% by 2025" mayor failed, he baldfaced just said it was "aspirational". Can't we just call BS for what it is any more?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 2:49 PM
Community Guy

Sure it is. Rinse, wring, repeat.

A third-party review of Blatchford conducted by Gettel Appraisals found the overall pace of home sales is “reasonable,” with 85.6% of homes constructed being sold. Gettel also concluded that both lot and home pricing are “appropriate” given the context of Blatchford being “a public policy guided development area.” Administration says it is seeing “significant interest” from existing and new homebuilders and it is already planning to address all of Gettel’s recommendations. To help with affordability, administration recommends looking into the opportunity for smaller housing units, reviewing architectural design guidelines to help lower the cost of construction, and investigating bringing larger sections of land to market to attract large homebuilders.
-Taproot

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 4:18 PM

Wholly Geebus...How much garbage can they fill into one statement lol.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Wholly Geebus...How much garbage can they fill into one statement lol.
Well, there's the now very old joke that AACI stands for "appraise as clients instruct".

And frankly, it's less of a joke than one might hope.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Well, there's the now very old joke that AACI stands for "appraise as clients instruct".

And frankly, it's less of a joke than one might hope.
True..also the banks are not stupid. They lend on criteria that determines the property value. Just more fluff from Gettel Appraisals.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 5:39 PM
Community Guy

A neat page on the district energy plans.
https://www.gh3.ca/work/blatchford-district-energy

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Turbulence continues for Edmonton's Blatchford development on former airport site
[...]
"Affordability does not go hand-in-hand with leading-edge green technology," he said.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.7045344

Are there 30,000 people willing to pay a premium for leading-edge green technology? I guess time will tell.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 11:43 PM
Community Guy

Slow as it might be, it is starting to look pretty cool.

https://blatchfordedmonton.ca/commun...summer-update/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 10:13 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 11:29 PM

Surprised how big the driveway pads are.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 3:07 AM
Community Guy

2024 marks Blatchford Renewable Energy’s fifth year of operating in Blatchford. In honour of this milestone, here are five quick facts you might not know about the system that’s heating and cooling this community’s buildings.

Blatchford Renewable Energy operates a District Energy Sharing System (DESS) – a centralized system where thermal energy is distributed from a central location to multiple buildings in a neighbourhood.

Homeowners don’t need a gas furnace or air conditioner – that’s because the system heats AND cools Blatchford’s homes. Bonus: it also heats the water.

It’s a modular and flexible system – it’s being constructed in stages to match the pace of development in the neighbourhood and is able to incorporate the latest innovations in renewable energy.

This first stage of the system uses a geoexchange field – the field harnesses shallow geothermal energy through 570 boreholes (each 150 metres deep) located beneath the community’s stormwater pond.

It’s award-winning! In 2023, the system won two international awards. Blatchford itself won two Best New Community awards from the Canadian Homebuilders Association (regionally and nationally).

Take a walk through this growing community. You’ll discover its street names, pedestrian-only paths, family-friendly parks and other features reflect Edmonton’s legacy of aviation innovators and barrier-breakers. See photos of the seven historical nods listed below.

Entrance feature – “Arrival Gate”. Created as a pedestrian gateway to the community rather than an entrance designed for vehicles, its design incorporates structural supports as a nod to the struts used in biplanes (an early type of aircraft).

Littlewood Park. Named after pilot Margaret Littlewood, who flew and taught flying out of Edmonton’s Blatchford Field. Her impact on aviation includes training WWII pilots and bush pilots who helped explore the north, as well as airline crews.

Former airport control tower. Plans are underway to renovate this distinctive landmark into a welcoming community space.

Recycled/reused runway. Runway materials were crushed on site to be used for future roads. Some of the larger materials were repurposed in the base of Blatchford’s benches.
12-30 Runway. One of the airport’s two main runways,12-30 was named for how it aligned with magnetic north (‘12-30’ is shorthand for the compass point as an aircraft approaches an airfield – 120 degrees from the northwest, 300 from the southeast). Shifts in the Earth’s magnetic field cause magnetic north to change. A centrepiece shows how a compass would’ve aligned with magnetic north in 1942 when the runway was built. It also shows magnetic north in 2013, when the site was closed.

Alpha Boulevard. Aircraft used Taxiway Alpha to access runways, terminals and hangars. Today its namesake features fully separated multi-use paths lined with trees on both sides.

Takeoff. This art piece celebrates the vision needed for humans to achieve flight.

---
COE email update

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 6:09 PM
Community Guy

Timelines, profits for Edmonton's Blatchford project lack evidence: audit

Author of the article: Lauren Boothby
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...evidence-audit

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:57 AM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:09 PM
Community Guy

Absolutely terrible news. I really want to know how this thing started and hope it was not nefarious in nature.

The % of fires in historic/character properties is outrageous.

Awful stuff.

Shovels were to have been in the ground this summer.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:26 PM

^ Seems like the number of fires in general in this city is large. Carelessness, Arson, dry conditions take you pick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton