HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 10:42 PM

If the fighting continues and this thread doesnt encorage intellectual discussion and only feeds the trolls im closing this thread for a while...

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Last edited by SkyscrapersOfNewYork; Jul 26, 2015 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 12:35 AM

You guys take this stuff way too personal sometimes. Let's all relax. phew!

In the words of a great NYC comedian and thespian, Mr. Colin Quinn - "IDGAC"

But, in parting, I enjoyed the Foster option much more. The Ingels is square block playtime to me; the base is massive and boring from street level; the quotes .... on the overhangs of building when looking up, shown in the renderings .... it gives me douche chills. I don't like scrolls of text on my supertalls. At certain angles it nearly completely blocks out WTC1--which I think should be the unquestionable centerpiece of the complex. I thought Foster's building was beautiful and dignified by itself, but also a strong and perfect compliment to WTC1. This Ingels building to me looks out of place. If it was planned for Midtown or the Hudson Yards development -- I honestly probably wouldn't care at all.
But this site being ... where we all know what happened - those of us who normally don't spend all that much time thinking about NYC (yes, Ramses .... not everyone is New York gaga all the time), feel wayy more invested and concerned.

Just my opinion guys and gals. I say this with, Peace and Love, Peace and Love!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 2:15 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post

Finally found some love for this new design. In a way, it will bring back the characteristic of the WTC as an area dominated by two huge buildings of similar height like the Twins before and include other large buildings into the mix. It's an amazing thing.

I sure hope this building has an outdoor observation deck that competes with the original 2 WTC's. This design makes it more possible.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 2:22 AM
BANNED

That tower is stunning!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 AM
Ann Arbor, Pale Blue Dot

Everyone can hopefully agree, no matter your taste in this particular and evocative style of 2WTC, that if all goes well the whole WTC will one day be lost in a future cluster of supertalls -- all of varying designs (and chaos).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 5:38 AM
New Yorker for life

It's a good thing that they opened up Greenich Street at the site of tower 2, at least to pedestrian traffic.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 6:02 AM
Mr. Technology

My respectful opinion on the debate of Lord Fosters' design vs the new one is this;

Lord Foster's diamond top showed respect for the memorial park below because no matter where you are in the city, you always knew the exact location of the memorial park by the slope of the diamond top. It was pointing down towards the memorial park.

The new design does not do that.
What it does it celebrates height.
It almost resembles the twin tower design.
Well, almost.

The ticker running under the overhangs are impressive.
They can tell a message, like a holiday greeting or something important.
I honestly like it very much.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:43 AM

As for the building, I've had a few weeks to take it in now. I still have a really hard time liking it from some angles but it's really growing on me from others. Really hoping the good angles outweigh the awkward ones.

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 27, 2015 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
If the fighting continues and this thread doesnt encorage intellectual discussion and only feeds the trolls im closing this thread for a while...
IA, That would likely be for the best.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 12:23 PM

Any idea on when we will hear a final decision from NewsCorp?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 4:00 PM

If "News" Corp finalizes the deal, then the WTC site will finally be completed which would be long overdue.

On the other hand, if the deal doesn't go through, then we're back to square one but at least the Foster design would be revived, and I'd be ok waiting for that.

If Silverstein was given the choice between the current deal with Murdoch/Ingels or financial companies/Foster, I truly believe that he would pick the Foster tower over Ingels without a second thought given his preference for that particular design.

I don't necessarily mind the Ingels tower but, Lord Foster, a much better and a brilliant architect, was robbed of his Magna Opus and the tower that would define his legacy.

Silverstein should have at least insisted to Murdoch to have Foster and Ingels collaborate on the tower together which would be a respectful nod to Foster given how long he's been a part of the project only to get shoved out at the last minute. Not to mention, a joint Foster/Ingels tower would take the best elements from both designs and create a building that would satisfy both parties.

Just my 2 cents

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 4:17 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
If "News" Corp finalizes the deal, then the WTC site will finally be completed which would be long overdue.

On the other hand, if the deal doesn't go through, then we're back to square one but at least the Foster design would be revived, and I'd be ok waiting for that
If Newscorp backs out, it doesn't mean automatically Foster's design would be revived. Silverstein would most likely give both designs for potential tenants to choose from. First one selected, that design is good to go! Silverstein ain't effing around especially at his age.

How long has Foster's design been available and no takers?? A new prospective tenant may find Bjark's tower may fit them better. It's definitely more open and more configurable. A better fit for tech, creative and media firms.

I really hope, News corp moves forward and get this site to near completion. I love Foster's dearly and it's my rated #1 tower if ever built, but I like Bjark's as well.

Let's put it this way, if I were a prospective tenant I prefer Bjarke's better for my employees working environment.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; Jul 30, 2015 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Finally found some love for this new design. In a way, it will bring back the characteristic of the WTC as an area dominated by two huge buildings of similar height like the Twins before and include other large buildings into the mix. It's an amazing thing.

I sure hope this building has an outdoor observation deck that competes with the original 2 WTC's. This design makes it more possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
Well where the PAC would be is where the temporary path station is. So i'm going to assume that when the hub is completed in 2014 they will start getting rid of the Path station.
Not an official rendering.

This is Frank Gehry's design.
This is the only way/thing that would allow the new building to fit into the current structure that exist at the WTC site.
I've tried from every optimistic point I could, and the alphabet blocks just don't seem to fit into the scheme of things

Now if we could get News Corp and the powers-that-be to develop the PAC along side their (BIG's) proposal, I might see this project differently. The box scheme would compliment each other and 2wtc wouldn't look so out-of-place. Cause there's no doubt the building seems OoP no matter how ingenious the building might be.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 8:22 PM

Quote:
They still have to build 5 WTC to fully complete the WTC.
Quote:
On the other hand, if the deal doesn't go through, then we're back to square one but at least the Foster design would be revived, and I'd be ok waiting for that.
There's no indication they would go back to the Foster design. It's already been discarded, and Foster is no longer involved at the WTC.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 9:30 PM
BANNED

I hope that News Corp seals the deal, and based upon his representations about News Corp on his website, I think he will. Larry would not plaster statements about News Corp on his site unless it was basically a done deal.

That being said, if NC does fall through, I think that Larry would let the tenant pick Foster, BIG, or someone entirely new. He wants this done before he dies.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
They still have to build 5 WTC to fully complete the WTC.
Not really. It's an empty lot with potential to become something someday, but the possibility that the PA could add one more building to the WTC address book won't make the part that's currently under construction "incomplete" when it's done..

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post

I really hope they pursue that option. It's possible, because even with One WTC obs deck... a Two WTC with this design could offer a competitive edge with the outdoor views... Make it happen, News Corp or whoever!

Love the intentional resemblance to the Twins from the Brooklyn Bridge (genius architectural move... Until another building blocks the view-- but maybe not?).

Also, the Rockefeller Center-esque reflection off 3 WTC looks pretty cool.

P.S. This new design *DOES* seem to be getting trolled pretty hard right now... Even the "#2wtc" hashtag got me a troll on Instagram. -_-

Last edited by mrjoanofarc; Jul 31, 2015 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoanofarc View Post

Love the intentional resemblance to the Twins from the Brooklyn Bridge (genius architectural move... Until another building blocks the view-- but maybe not?).
Unfortunately as others have pointed out, this view is impossible. 2 WTC will completely block the view of 1 WTC from the Brooklyn Bridge. 1 WTC may peak out behind 2 WTC closer to Manhattan on the bridge but would actually look North of 2 WTC not south as this photo depicts.

Also the gap between 3 and 4 WTC is way too big in that render. The actual buildings are about 60ft apart. From the bridge you may not even be able to see space between them.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 5:14 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Yea, that rendering is absolutely horrible -- 3WTC is much closer to 4WTC, and 2WTC would obscure most of 1WTC.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 5:30 PM
Jeez Louise.

Long time viewer first time post. I think this redesign is the worst and ugliest monstrosity every designed. The original 200 Greenwich was my favorite building of the new complex.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction