HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionlml View Post
Dubai, another great example of why just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.
Agreed

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:02 PM

So true.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire state of mind View Post
Agreed
Dubai has turned out nothing short of extraordinary. to say that is anything less than beautiful and awesome is just living in la la land. they have done so much for the art of skyscraper building and advanced city design. they have brought architecture into the 21st century. i applaud what they have done and are doing. with that said, they have also built their fair share of pure crap. also some of the towers are an exercise in what not to ever do but that can be said for any city in the entire world. the fact is Dubai has trounced the rest of the worlds cities big time and they deserve a big bow and thumbs up from all of us who love architecture and engineering in general. at least they have the balls to make a full-out effort toward building a true skyscraper city. after all, is that not the very thing that we who lurk these forms love. i know i do and so i take my hat off to them. bravo.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
Dubai has turned out nothing short of extraordinary. to say that is anything less than beautiful and awesome is just living in la la land. they have done so much for the art of skyscraper building and advanced city design. they have brought architecture into the 21st century. i applaud what they have done and are doing. with that said, they have also built their fair share of pure crap. also some of the towers are an exercise in what not to ever do but that can be said for any city in the entire world. the fact is Dubai has trounced the rest of the worlds cities big time and they deserve a big bow and thumbs up from all of us who love architecture and engineering in general. at least they have the balls to make a full-out effort toward building a true skyscraper city. after all, is that not the very thing that we who lurk these forms love. i know i do and so i take my hat off to them. bravo.
-
I think Dubai looks amazing from afar. Up close, the textures look pretty tacky. They would have been much wiser to be less ambitious in terms of the number of projects. Right now their occupancy rates are simply crippling. They went way too far, and sacrificed quality in the mean time. They also sacrificed safety. Google: dubai aluminum fire

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 10:32 PM

how many buildings in Dubai are just sitting there? There can't be a lot of fully occupied buildings with supertalls galore.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 12:47 AM

The UAE is cutting down on natural resources, so I've heard, so they're trying to make tourism compensate. But to turn the entire city of Dubai into a megalopolis that only 1/4th currently uses is beyond phenomenal. It will take years, maybe even decades for them to achieve the amount of income that they currently do.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
The UAE is cutting down on natural resources, so I've heard, so they're trying to make tourism compensate.
I was under the impression they were trying to attract more multinational companies to have their headquarters there . . . no idea where it came from tho . . .

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
The UAE is cutting down on natural resources, so I've heard, so they're trying to make tourism compensate. But to turn the entire city of Dubai into a megalopolis that only 1/4th currently uses is beyond phenomenal. It will take years, maybe even decades for them to achieve the amount of income that they currently do.
-
By that time, the buildings will look dated.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 6:52 PM

Great news !

Revived at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...03-16-1.541834

"Dubai developer to restart work on world’s tallest residential tower
Trident working with DLD on The Pentominium; Work to restart in third quarter

By Parag Deulgaonkar
Published Monday, March 17, 2014

Trident International Holdings, a Dubai-based developer, will be restarting work on 516-metre The Pentominium, billed as the world’s tallest residential tower, by third quarter, Emirates 24|7 can reveal.

“In conjunction with the Dubai Land Department, Trident is actively working on several advanced options towards restarting the construction of this project,” a person aware of the project status, told this website.

“Considering the iconic size and nature of the project, we anticipate resumption by the third quarter of 2014,” he added.

The tower, located in Dubai Marina, was scheduled for completion in 2013, but work was suspended in August 2011 following the global financial crisis and customer default.

When completed, the residential tower will have 122 floors above ground and house 172 luxury penthouses designed by Italian fashion designer Salvatore Ferragamo.

In 2009, Arabian Construction Company was awarded a Dh1.46 billion contract for construction of the tower.

Construction commenced on July 26, 2009, and, before construction stopped, at least 30 floors had been completed.

When completed, Pentominium will become the second tallest building in Dubai after 828-metre Burj Khalifa, the tallest tower in the world.

(...)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
Dude relax, Dubai hasn't trounced anything. Any place with a king irresponsibly blowing endless oil money on speculative bubble development could do this. Dubai is on the brink of a recession and has seen nothing but stagnation the past 5 years because it builds these empty, hopelessly ugly and gaudy towers that are ruining architecture as we know it. Tell me how that is something to be proud of.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 12:21 PM
Find yourself and be that

Diagram!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 7:47 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
Dude relax, Dubai hasn't trounced anything. Any place with a king irresponsibly blowing endless oil money on speculative bubble development could do this. Dubai is on the brink of a recession and has seen nothing but stagnation the past 5 years because it builds these empty, hopelessly ugly and gaudy towers that are ruining architecture as we know it. Tell me how that is something to be proud of.
it is "ruining architecture" for you maybe. not for me or many, many others. i think they have built things that needed to be attempted. you dont get it but that does not mean its not good. it just means you don't get it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:12 AM

I don't think Dubai's building are so spectacular that that it has becomes inaccessible and people who dislike the building simply don't understand the masterpiece. Actually, it is quite the opposite. It attracts people who do not understand architecture, because all the criteria is to built the tallest, the largest, the fanciest.

To me, when I think of Dubai, I think of nouveau riche and showy architecture and that is not a compliment.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 2:53 AM

Dubai is widely critiqued in the architecture, engineering, and urban planning community.

It was a nice experiment, but it's much closer to Vegas than New York, London, or Hong Kong.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 10:29 PM

I know the architecture in Dubai is hit and miss, but I do give the UAE credit for pushing the engineering envelope with buildings of incredible height, and basically transforming itself from a little-known mid-size city into one of the World's most high-profile cities in the space of a decade, with the World's tallest building, biggest mall, largest airport terminal, and so on. And the marina district, in my opinion, is one of the most insanely dense clusters of skyscrapers anywhere in the World. Certainly I prefer it to the sea of monotone 20, 30 and 40-ish storey condo towers that surround the cores of our large cities here in Canada (or for that matter, the dozens of towers of identical design that can be seen in places like Hong Kong or Shanghai). I am visiting Dubai in February, and personally I can't wait to see this area in person.

The "if you build it, they will come" argument isn't fully proven, but one thing is certain - if you don't build it, they won't.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
I know the architecture in Dubai is hit and miss, but I do give the UAE credit for pushing the engineering envelope with buildings of incredible height, and basically transforming itself from a little-known mid-size city into one of the World's most high-profile cities in the space of a decade, with the World's tallest building, biggest mall, largest airport terminal, and so on. And the marina district, in my opinion, is one of the most insanely dense clusters of skyscrapers anywhere in the World. Certainly I prefer it to the sea of monotone 20, 30 and 40-ish storey condo towers that surround the cores of our large cities here in Canada (or for that matter, the dozens of towers of identical design that can be seen in places like Hong Kong or Shanghai). I am visiting Dubai in February, and personally I can't wait to see this area in person.

The "if you build it, they will come" argument isn't fully proven, but one thing is certain - if you don't build it, they won't.
well said

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 7:36 PM

Jesus christ, what happened to this city? I mean we all knew it was a huge gimmick but it's like after the Burj was finally built this city fell off the face of the earth, at least when it comes to this website. There used to be constant discussion and proposals left and right and now it's like the U.S., China and even Europe took back it's place when it comes to skyscraper development.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 6:25 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ With 16 towers over 1,000 ft, (one over 2,000) and 6 under construction, how many supertall towers can a city of 2.5 million support......it is arguable that they can support the ones they have.

There still are lots of proposals.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
how many supertall towers can a city of 2.5 million support
A good question for every second-tier city in China. The 1,000-foot supertall is the equivalent of the Porsche in the garage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive