HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

181 Fremont in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Please, Mr. Manass (oops, I mean Manus), please no more sea green glass! Infinity is a great building, the color is a little overwhelming, though, and I think that it should be the only one downtown with that distinctive color. The green glass in the rendering kind of scares me, because the glass on Infinity looked like it was going to be very translucent and subtle, much like this one, and instead turned into the kryptonite castle.

This building gives me hope to some of the models I saw while doing a building inspection for the architects of the Millennium tower. They had a whole bunch of amazing, really cool high rise models that I've never seen before anywhere, so I guess that perhaps those are some proposals? They may not be for SF, but I'm hoping some of them are, because I saw some of the coolest shapes and styles and colors- black with a red and silver exterior skeleton/ frame, as one example. Of course, they would not let me take pics of those

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I think people are comparing the "legs" to those on the Pyramid and they are somewhat similar.
Can anyone tell if this new building is square or triangular in floor shape?

I like this design and glad to see another tall proposal! It also reminds me both of the building in HK and the TAP. Here are two photos (taken by me) which show why.. on the TAP, look at the triangles on the very bottom at the base.

Last edited by GlobeTrekker; Sep 2, 2007 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 1:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrekker View Post

I like this design and glad to see another tall proposal! It also reminds me both of the building in HK and the TAP. Here are two photos (taken by me) which show why.. on the TAP, look at the triangles very bottom at the base.

Sorry, I tried to link to my Flickr photos but it's not working... I'll try to fix it later.
It looks square. If you look at the midsection, you can see the ceiling, and it looks like there are two 90(ish) degree angles, but it does look like it is more of an irregular rectangle shape, with some of the sides caving in toward each other (what do they call those shapes? oblong rectangle or trapezoid.. or something). Should be interesting

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
It looks square. If you look at the midsection, you can see the ceiling, and it looks like there are two 90(ish) degree angles, but it does look like it is more of an irregular rectangle shape, with some of the sides caving in toward each other (what do they call those shapes? oblong rectangle or trapezoid.. or something). Should be interesting
I noticed the "caving in" too which made me think it might not be square. But either way it looks good. I agree regarding the glass... sea green would look very different.

Does anyone know more about the "sawtooth" glazing system they mention? Is that used on other buildings?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 2:12 AM
BANNED

This building is very iconic (John King leave the room), and would be recognized all over the world. This proposal gets me so excited to see the rest of them, we could have around 10 different towers of this height and personality, all taller than the tallest building in SF. When the Transbay board talked about enhancing and redefining the skyline, I never realized it would be taken to this kind of (good good good) extreme!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 3:09 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I think people are comparing the "legs" to those on the Pyramid and they are somewhat similar.

I like the exposed structure about two-thirds of the way up, where it most likely transitions to the condos from the office plates. Everybody keeps complaining about our boxes here and then a number of them complain about this feature too.
I see a resemblance to Transamerica due to the base, as said by some of my fellow forumers. Also, the diagonal steel supporting structures on the lower deck of the Bay Bridge come to mind. I see the dividing segment in the tower as the housing for wind turbines as I dont really see where else they could go. One thing that makes me somewhat happy is the fact that it wont have a flat roof. The roof appears to take a lesson from nearby Millenium Tower, with a spire added as a bonus.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 3:16 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Please, Mr. Manass (oops, I mean Manus), please no more sea green glass! Infinity is a great building, the color is a little overwhelming, though, and I think that it should be the only one downtown with that distinctive color. The green glass in the rendering kind of scares me, because the glass on Infinity looked like it was going to be very translucent and subtle, much like this one, and instead turned into the kryptonite castle.
I think the green glass must be this company's signature for moderate to tall buildings. While seeing more buildings with glass curtainwalls in San Francisco is good news, there is a such thing as too much of a good thing. Perhaps this is why Millenium appeals to me so much, not just the design of the building but the glass color as well. Hopefully some of the proposed buildings have different color glass such as silver transparent, or maybe even gold tinted (a la Glass Tower).

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 3:17 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Thumbs up

It's nice to finally start seeing renders for one of the satellite towers. It makes it seem more like the whole transbay redevelopment will actually happen.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 3:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Eeeewe! Wait until you see 10th & Market (another H-M wonder). If it turns out anything like the rendering, you'll be begging for more like the Infinity. I'm telling you now, I thought the only place you could get that color was from wherever the Army bought the paint for the interior of WW II barracks.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 3:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The lot, as shown in the map I posted, is L-shaped and not very big so I've got to think the building uses as much of the available space as possible and a triangle wouldn't no matter where you put the apex. That makes it very probable it's rectangular.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 3:56 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Somebody needs to post the resemblance:

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 4:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Eeeewe! Wait until you see 10th & Market (another H-M wonder). If it turns out anything like the rendering, you'll be begging for more like the Infinity. I'm telling you now, I thought the only place you could get that color was from wherever the Army bought the paint for the interior of WW II barracks.
I think the 10th Market proposal looks pretty good actually. Are you talking about its color or shape? I haven't seen too many renderings of the color.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 4:02 AM
BANNED

^^^Did you do that? Very nice, but, er, I think you put the Fremont building on the wrong side of Mission. It's about midblock between Mission and Howard, not Mission and Market.

Sorry for mentioning it, but maybe you can do a little fix?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 4:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I think the 10th Market proposal looks pretty good actually. Are you talking about its color or shape? I haven't seen too many renderings of the color.
The color: I call it "Barf green". The more generous might call it "sea foam". Or "hospital green" (but these days, only very old military hospitals) works too. I think there's a connection between its use in hospitals and "barf". If it's well camoflaged, you don't have to clean up those "accidents" quite so promptly.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^Did you do that? Very nice, but, er, I think you put the Fremont building on the wrong side of Mission. It's about midblock between Mission and Howard, not Mission and Market.
Isn't that a scene from Towering Inferno? They saw pretty well into the future!

I agree with the person who posted regarding the silver transparent glass. The way it reflects the sky is one of the things I like about the building in Hong Kong. In my photo I tried to capture it with the other silvery buildings nearby and a silvery sky to match.

And I also agree that this building will be iconic!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 4:22 AM
The True Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Somebody needs to post the resemblance:

I did think of that too.
It also resembles a building in the same vicinity from the Star Trek TV shows.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 4:23 AM
BANNED

^^^Oh, silly me, but in many ways it does look like the new TransBay Tower and the Fremont building except what I thought was the Fremont Building is on the wrong side of Mission.

One the other hand, there's supposedly an 850 ft proposal coming for a building pretty much just where that picture would seem to show it: 350 Mission.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 5:13 AM
Green Berniecrat

The "smaller" building next to the Glass Tower, if my memory serves me right, is the Peerless building. Looks like it stands at about 1100', plus or minus 50 feet. While we dont have that scenario exactly, together with Transbay, it could serve as a model of whats to come (Peerless just needs to be moved to the right of the Glass Tower )

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 5:20 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Isn't that a scene from Towering Inferno? They saw pretty well into the future!

I agree with the person who posted regarding the silver transparent glass. The way it reflects the sky is one of the things I like about the building in Hong Kong. In my photo I tried to capture it with the other silvery buildings nearby and a silvery sky to match.

And I also agree that this building will be iconic!
Indeed. That is a nice picture with a good vantage point. The silver transparent glass that I was refering to would be like the type that Trump Tower Chicago has going on. The building itself is not breathtaking, but the glass makes up for that. Depending on the color of the sky, the building can be said to have a "mood".

This building should be iconic as it will stand out from the rest around it (for a couple of years perhaps). Of course, thats not King would have you believe. I can already see him ranting on this building. I'm guessing the only reason he has not said anything already is because he has yet to find out about it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 5:26 AM

The green glass look seems to have evolved from HM's 10th and Market design. I hope there are not too many more look alike colors and textures in towers in San Francisco. Skylines look much more interesting and dynamic with greater varieties of height, color, materials, shapes and design. It is great that San Francisco is finally getting away from the light colored pastel, non-glass look that has typified the city for most of the 20th century, but too much similar green glass is not so good either.

For those of us Trekkers, Trekkies and SF skyscraper fans out there, look here:
http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWcities-sanfran.html

The Towering Inferno movie was written and filmed in the early 1970's, when many thought San Francisco was heading towards being one of the greatest skylines in the world. This was about the same time protests against tall buildings in San Francisco was also at its most active. It is interesting that the gap between fantasy and approximate reality is taking about 40 years (1974-2014), or about the same time it is taking for many of those former protesters to reach retirement age.

Last edited by SFView; Sep 2, 2007 at 5:44 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive