HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 12:26 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah, they just squat it up a bit - it happens. But, also, each window spans two floors to make it look shorter. And the glass on top is two additional floors.
I saw that, it looked ridiculous, perhaps they were trying to downplay the height by about 50% ?

Nice work with the TV spots guys, maybe we'll see more in future.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 7:12 PM

Does anyone know when the decision for this proposal will be announced?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Does anyone know when the decision for this proposal will be announced?
Here's the answer to my question:
http:// http://www.vocm.com/newsarti...31316&latest=1

I posted this using my phone and for some reason the link won't work. I'll try reposting on my computer.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Here's the answer to my question:
http:// http://www.vocm.com/newsarti...31316&latest=1

I posted this using my phone and for some reason the link won't work. I'll try reposting on my computer.
here ya go

Revised Hotel Plan to be Tabled

Quote:
A revised application for a major hotel development in the west end of the capital city's downtown will be tabled at council tonight. Mississauga-based Manga Hotels is proposing to build a 12-storey 115-unit Hilton Garden Hotel at the corner of Springdale and New Gower Streets. The city's Department of Planning is recommending a number of ammendments to the proposal which, if accepted by council tonight, will be brought back to the developer. Local residents, particularly at the bottom of Pleasant Street, expressed a number of concerns about the initial proposal, including privacy issues which ward 2 councillor Frank Galgay feels have been addressed.

Once the developer passes the latest hurdle, council is expected to go ahead with a vote on rezoning the main hotel area from residential to a commerical central office zone.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...31316&latest=1

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:48 AM

^^^^ Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:51 AM

So I guess we'll find out today

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:16 PM

Council voted to rezone the land for the Hotel this evening! A big step in the right direction

Although, I have to say, I cringed when Shannie Duff said the proposal should have been 6 stories with a larger foorprint so as to not hinder it's heritage surroundings. WHAT HERITAGE SURROUNDINGS?!?.. That's the spirit Shannie, Waste what little land we have left..

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:20 PM

mmmmm you're right Shannie, I sure love me some short, blocky buildings that stretch along full city blocks. Lets build a few more Atlantic Places while we're at it

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I love Shannie to death but, yes, on that one item, I disagree with her.

But, WOOHOO, it passed. We did our part!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I love Shannie to death but, yes, on that one item, I disagree with her.

But, WOOHOO, it passed. We did our part!
You guys sure did, great job!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Council voted to rezone the land for the Hotel this evening! A big step in the right direction

Although, I have to say, I cringed when Shannie Duff said the proposal should have been 6 stories with a larger foorprint so as to not hinder it's heritage surroundings. WHAT HERITAGE SURROUNDINGS?!?.. That's the spirit Shannie, Waste what little land we have left..
I was very disappointed to see Dep Mayor Duff's reaction. She wanted larger footprint rather than higher because the Riverhead Towers is only 6 stories, meanwhile within 100 meters of the new hotel is the Delta, Fortis and Deacon sites all higher than 6 stories.

I though that this area was a fringe-heritage area, there's certainly no heritage there, never was. When I was a kid, that whole area was low-end housing with mixed commercial (candy store, dry cleaner, diner) and nobody shed any tears when the slums were torn down.

Seems to me that the Dep mayor is pandering to a few residents of Pleasant Street, in an election year. Some of these residents have expressed that they'll be in constant shadow from the hotel, which of course is impossible - how can you get much shadow from the overhead sun in summer ?

The Dep Mayor's attitude is exactly what's hampering development.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:37 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I was very disappointed to see Dep Mayor Duff's reaction. She wanted larger footprint rather than higher because the Riverhead Towers is only 6 stories, meanwhile within 100 meters of the new hotel is the Delta, Fortis and Deacon sites all higher than 6 stories.

I though that this area was a fringe-heritage area, there's certainly no heritage there, never was. When I was a kid, that whole area was low-end housing with mixed commercial (candy store, dry cleaner, diner) and nobody shed any tears when the slums were torn down.

Seems to me that the Dep mayor is pandering to a few residents of Pleasant Street, in an election year. Some of these residents have expressed that they'll be in constant shadow from the hotel, which of course is impossible - how can you get much shadow from the overhead sun in summer ?

I'm disappointed to hear that reaction from Shannie as well, but not overly surprised. Atlantic Place is the first thing that came to mind with her comments. She hates that building, so I'm not sure where her head is at.

Good to hear its been rezoned though. That is certainly great news, and a strong step forward.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post

I agree 2000% with everything you've said! She has run her course in this city, I believe it's due time to step aside and let somebody else tackle that job. Ellsworth 2013!!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post

^ my frustration with Shannie is beyond repair. I honestly don't know what to say about her (well, I kinda do..). IMO she's gotta go. I don't think she adds anything other than frustration to most reasonable people. I have ZERO time for her crap, neither did/does my cousin Andy (Wells). It runs in the family.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo minor View Post

^ my frustration with Shannie is beyond repair. I honestly don't know what to say about her (well, I kinda do..). IMO she's gotta go. I don't think she adds anything other than frustration to most reasonable people. I have ZERO time for her crap, neither did/does my cousin Andy (Wells). It runs in the family.
Ah man, Andy Wells is my municipal politics hero. A true man he was. O'Keefe is quite boring in comparison aha

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 12:44 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I miss the openness and excitement of Andy Wells as well.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 10:39 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Andy Wells goes to my gym. Great guy. I chat with him every now and again. He's got some wild opinions, but I respect that he's not afraid to speak his mind. I've always wanted to grab a beer with him after a lift. When me and my buddy realized we were talking to Andy (it wasn't until he introduced himself about half an hour into our debate that we clued in) we both became a bit star struck.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 11:53 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

On another note, K-Rock has been talking about downtown development this morning. I already called in and got a comment on, but if the conversation continues (sparked by the Hilton) I suggest everyone call in and leave a message on the rock-line about the benefits of downtown development.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 2:51 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

It's a good thing that the hotel got approved, although I really hope they can make it look better, much better. A six storey building instead? ... oh my, think of what it could have turned in to!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 2:53 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Andy Wells goes to my gym. Great guy. I chat with him every now and again. He's got some wild opinions, but I respect that he's not afraid to speak his mind. I've always wanted to grab a beer with him after a lift. When me and my buddy realized we were talking to Andy (it wasn't until he introduced himself about half an hour into our debate that we clued in) we both became a bit star struck.
That must be interesting, to hear what he has to say, I guess you can't share any of it here though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's