HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 12:08 AM

Why Seattle Is America's Bus-Lovingest Town

From CITYLAB:

Why Seattle Is America's Bus-Lovingest Town

How did a transit-backward town become a national poster child for ridership success?

LAURA BLISS MAY 11, 2018

SEATTLE, WASHINGTON—David Ibrahim loved his 2005 Toyota Camry. When he moved to Seattle from Northern California last summer, he would have brought it with him, if his sister hadn’t totaled it.

So Ibrahim reluctantly arrived car-free in the booming tech capital. He had no choice: The recent college graduate had accepted a job as an Amazon software engineer. But once he arrived, to Ibrahim’s own surprise, he never felt pressed to buy a new set of wheels. In nearly a year of daily commutes to Amazon’s Bellevue campus, weekly shopping trips, and weekend social calls, he has found that Seattle’s buses serve him well.

“I honestly take them everywhere,” he told me on a clear, spring-like Saturday in March. I’d approached him among a group of riders clustered at a bus stop in Seattle’s International District, where he was standing to catch the 14 to watch a game at a friend’s house. A few minutes later, Ibrahim’s ride pulled up, and he was on his way.

In several respects, this young man is the face of Seattle’s growth. Since 2007, the fastest-growing city in the country has added nearly a quarter million jobs (thanks in considerable part to Amazon), and has grown in population by more than 15 percent since 2010.

Remarkably, though, Seattle has not gained more cars in its most congested areas. The number of commuters driving private vehicles downtown has declined by 10 percent since 2010, even as new residents and workers have spiked. By and large, new arrivals are instead choosing to ride the bus. Seattle’s King County Metro has seen an 8 percent increase in bus riders over the past nine years and gained about 700,000 rides between 2016 and 2017 alone.

Meanwhile, bus popularity is plummeting in most major cities. Some 31 out of 35 high-ridership metros watched annual trips decline last year. Nationwide, ridership on rubber-tired fleets is at its lowest level in 30 years. Dips in the gas prices and new train openings help explain the trend. But the most important factor, analysts have found, is declining bus service—specifically, the mess of route and schedule cuts that started around the Great Recession and were never stitched back. It’s a vicious cycle. Declining bus ridership feeds the narrative that transit is a waste of money; more people take to their cars and Ubers; traffic gets worse and the buses run slower; repeat.

But when transit works well, the cycle turns virtuous. And buses are often the fastest means to equitable and efficient transit for large numbers of people. In that respect, Seattle’s example as an overnight bus haven seems incredibly useful. It demonstrates a simple and powerful truth: Build a system that works, and riders will come.

The story of the Emerald City’s love affair with the bus can be approached from many angles. Road space and funding have been dedicated, frequent bus arrivals and pleasant service have been prioritized, and bridges between agencies and local employers have been built. I’ll go through them all. But perhaps the best place to begin a survey of what’s working in Seattle is by witnessing the sheer volume of coaches running down Third Avenue in the heart of downtown on a Friday afternoon.

Some 250 local, regional, and express buses travel this corridor every hour during the weekday rush hour—more than two buses per minute, the most of any street in North America. They carry 52,000 daily riders. The crisscrossing buses and streaming riders almost feels like a plein-air Penn Station, if the trains in New York ran on time.

[...]

Link: https://www.citylab.com/transportati...he-bus/559697/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 12:14 AM
Never Dell

The article has a lot of good things but they screw up one point: Seattle has ALWAYS been more transit-oriented than most of its peer cities outside the obvious big dense ones. It's not just that buses are done more intensively today, but that they always have been.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Is it partly due to a lack of heavy rail ROW? Or other said lack of commuter rail?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sounder_commuter_rail

Two lines 12 stations [mon-fri only] for a city that large is not a lot IMO.

"Weekday ridership on the North Line was roughly 1,100 in 2010. and was about 1,561 in the first quarter of 2016. Trains on the North Line have been prone to frequent cancellation due to mudslides throughout its history, ..."

Or is the light rail system more convenient for those that do not live in the city.

https://www.soundtransit.org/schedul...light-rail/map

But even that one line looks anemic.

https://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Link-light-rail

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:50 AM
Never Dell

Seattle had almost precisely the same in-city SOV commute rate as Chicago in the 2016 ACS, so don't get too proud. I believe we were 0.1% better at something like 49.9% vs. 50.0%. (Not fair of course, since Chicago is a larger percentage of its metro, but still interesting!) We were lower in transit commute share but higher in walk and bike share as you'd probably expect.

We have almost no rail, but better bus service than most. That's why the article is about bus service, which includes a lot of longer-distance routes on HOV lanes, using a small handful of county-based or regional organizations (Metro, Sound Transit, Community Transit, etc.).

The metro has just about zero rail ROW. Commuter rail uses the only heavy rail line through the city, which is shared with Amtrak and freight, and crosses a number of streets. Only a mile or so is a tunnel through the CBD.

We're building $70 billion in new transit through measures that have been approved by the voters, but it'll take decades. This will include the third major rail tunnel through Downtown.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:07 AM

Champaign-Urbana and Honolulu have better transit ridership per capita than the Seattle urban area. Their transit ridership per capita is better than Chicago and Philadelphia also.

I would define "transit-backwards" as building so many light rail lines but having few bus lines to feed them, as is typical in many US cities. That's why the transit ridership in all those cities pale compared to Seattle. Maybe it's important to have a complete and comprehensive transit system regardless of the technology used.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:21 AM
Never Dell

Champaign-Urbana is a college town.

Honolulu County (I don't see city stats) used transit to commute 8.7% of the time in 2016 per the ACS, vs. 20.8% for residents of the city of Seattle. Since most of that population is close-in, the in-city commute rate wouldn't be great either.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 8:02 AM

This article hardly addresses what is imploding San Francisco's formerly quite good bus system which has, for decades, had a policy that no one should have to walk more than 2 blocks to catch a bus or wait more than about 20 minutes between busses (on busy routes, much less--often just a few minutes). And to go between any 2 points, it's very rare to have to transfer more than once (and common not to have to transfer at all).

The implosion factor is simply safety and quality of the experience. The article does link to https://seattle.curbed.com/2018/4/9/...ement-homeless which describes how unfair it is to make poor people actually pay the fare to ride busses. San Francisco simply doesn't try to make them pay. Fare evasion is becoming the norm in certain neighborhoods--the Tenderloin, Mission, Western Addition--and too often the non-paying riders are also non-bathing, accompanied by poorly controlled animals and don't just ride--they sleep on the bus spread out on seats meant for 2 (as if anyone wanted to sit next to them).

Then there's the juveniles who legally ride free: They have fights on the bus, scream profanity, grafitti up the place and generally make no one older than 17 want to sit anywhere near them.

And the bus drivers stoically drive through all of this, pretending to pay no attention (because they aren't paid enough to make risking their lives worth it).

So given the option of an $8 Uber fare or a $2.50 bus fare (soon to be $2.75), it's hard not to go Uber (especially if there's 2 of you making the calculation $8 vs $5).

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 8:45 AM

Because it doesn’t have trains?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 8:47 AM

@Pedestrian

One of the things that makes the London tube more pleasant than the NYC is that there are no homeless in the stations or on the trains. The fact that it shuts down overnight means that it doesn’t turn into a place to sleep.

Now if only they could introduce air conditioning...
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
This article hardly addresses what is imploding San Francisco's formerly quite good bus system which has, for decades, had a policy that no one should have to walk more than 2 blocks to catch a bus or wait more than about 20 minutes between busses (on busy routes, much less--often just a few minutes). And to go between any 2 points, it's very rare to have to transfer more than once (and common not to have to transfer at all).

The implosion factor is simply safety and quality of the experience. The article does link to https://seattle.curbed.com/2018/4/9/...ement-homeless which describes how unfair it is to make poor people actually pay the fare to ride busses. San Francisco simply doesn't try to make them pay. Fare evasion is becoming the norm in certain neighborhoods--the Tenderloin, Mission, Western Addition--and too often the non-paying riders are also non-bathing, accompanied by poorly controlled animals and don't just ride--they sleep on the bus spread out on seats meant for 2 (as if anyone wanted to sit next to them).

Then there's the juveniles who legally ride free: They have fights on the bus, scream profanity, grafitti up the place and generally make no one older than 17 want to sit anywhere near them.

And the bus drivers stoically drive through all of this, pretending to pay no attention (because they aren't paid enough to make risking their lives worth it).

So given the option of an $8 Uber fare or a $2.50 bus fare (soon to be $2.75), it's hard not to go Uber (especially if there's 2 of you making the calculation $8 vs $5).
I am SO in favor of public transit, but this is exactly why I don't ever use it. Every experience I have ever had on a city bus has had some nasty thing or another be a part of it. Too many people on these who simply have no idea of how to be civil and act right around other people.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:48 PM
Never Dell

When a critical mass of people ride transit (any kind), the experience tends to be pretty civil and normal. Seattle bus riders are demographically much like the city. Rush hours in particular are a sea of office workers and students.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:

You hit it on the nail for San Francisco.

Also, I can't for the life of me understand why MUNI has not updated virtually any of their buses? They are all seemingly straight out of the 1970s. Seattle has far newer fleets for the most part, hence they are cleaner and more comfortable.

As a frequent bus rider in Seattle, I can definitely say they enforce fares WAY more (and definitely so on light rail) and that there's a huge percentage of folks that are white collar professionals/normal people so you don't get the same degree of low lives in the same way like you do in SF.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:13 PM

^^In SF Muni’s defense, they HAVE bought plenty of new busses which are now entering the fleet. The orange relics to which you refer are now pretty much goners. It’s just a long time between when they order new vehicles and when they become available.

PS: They are also replacing the screeching Breda streetcars/LRVs.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:15 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Champaign-Urbana is a college town.

Honolulu County (I don't see city stats) used transit to commute 8.7% of the time in 2016 per the ACS, vs. 20.8% for residents of the city of Seattle. Since most of that population is close-in, the in-city commute rate wouldn't be great either.

It was 11.7% (down slightly) for the city (Urban Honolulu CDP) in 2016. You would think it was like over 50% if you were there though because of the large amount of non-permanent residents that also use the Bus. It's almost always packed. Also, I'm not sure if people are aware of this but Honolulu modeled it's bus system after Seattle's.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
^^In SF Muni’s defense, they HAVE bought plenty of new busses which are now entering the fleet. The orange relics to which you refer are now pretty much goners. It’s just a long time between when they order new vehicles and when they become available.

PS: They are also replacing the screeching Breda streetcars/LRVs.
I see, haven't been back to SF since in 2015 so I'm glad to hear those are gone.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:36 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Are buses in Honolulu still called "The Bus"

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:53 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^It is.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 6:56 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

If it works, see if it can adapted to other places.

We've built enough rail in the last 3 decades- I cant think of any city that doesn't have it but needs it. Now we need to fix our neglected bus lines.

I think with automated cars coming out, we could create "smart" streets where small ultrafrequent buses could prioritize lanes and be fast. Would improve congestion issues in urban centers a lot i think.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:51 PM

The key to mass transit is frequent headways. In some cities, light rail doesn't make sense because it's too expensive to build and operate. Buses are cheap and if the fleet is large enough, you can run buses very frequently. I'd rather have bus service every few minutes than a fancy light rail that comes every 30 min.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I found the quality and quantity of transit in Seattle to be way, way below Vancouver, which in turn is way, way below similarly sized European cities like Vienna.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions