HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 9:45 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Alright guys. You have to make a good enough case for the cities you picked. Preferably post pictures or Google maps links and think a lot about what the cities share. Like I said, the cities are still unique but they should share some characteristics. Look much deeper than the skylines or the region itself.

I wasn't able to find some analogous characteristics between Brooklyn and Montreal that weren't shared with other cities. However, I saw that Montreal shared some characteristics with Philadelphia.

Both cities are large and historic for their nations. They are both still influential but have been overshadowed by other peer cities somewhat (Montreal by Toronto and Vancouver, Philly by NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, and some others I have forgotten about).

There are some major differences. Montreal has a strong French-Canadien culture while Philadelphia has been said to be one of the most American cities.

River Setting

Montreal (St. Lawrence):

Montréal City by Benjamin Ballande, on Flickr

Philadelphia (Delaware):

Philadelphia by yamchild, on Flickr

Skyline (Both have a skyline a bit inland from the river like most other river cities. Philly currently has a taller skyline, but Montreal has Mont Royal as a component.)

Montreal:

Montreal by dan ye, on Flickr

Philadelphia:

Skyline of Center City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by Bill Cobb, on Flickr

Historical/colonial centers

Old Montreal:

Old Montreal by BestCityscape, on Flickr

Old City, Philadelphia

Old city Philadelphia! by SK Photography, on Flickr

City Halls (Both were designed in the Second Empire style in the late 19th century)

Montreal:

Hotel Ville (City Hall), Montreal.JPG by Sherry Rinaldi, on Flickr

Philadelphia:

2012_Galblauskas_Philadelphia_City Hall_7 by Jared625, on Flickr

Apartments/Rowhomes (characteristics shared with other Northeastern and Eastern Canadian cities. I noticed Montreal rowhomes have metal stairways, which I haven't seen in U.S. cities)

Montreal:

Montreal apartments by mplstodd, on Flickr

Montreal by Alizarin10, on Flickr

Philadelphia:

*** by Justin Wolfe, on Flickr

South Philly Rowhomes by Melody Joy Kramer, on Flickr

Famous Street Foods:

Montreal Hot Dog:

montreal pool room by eva blue 02 by Montréal, on Flickr

Philly Cheesesteak:

Cheese steak by slowpoke_taiwan, on Flickr

Last edited by jd3189; Dec 22, 2017 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 11:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

good comparisons of philly and my hometown.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 12:30 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

yes, although I think you could find about a million better pictures of philadelphia's eclectic and beautiful rowhouse architecture than that 1990s-vintage scene.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 12:54 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Anchorage and Juneau in Alaska?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 12:56 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

but what city has (had) this.

Actually the more I think about it Philadelphia is unique, with no analogue.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 1:38 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
good comparisons of philly and my hometown.
No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
yes, although I think you could find about a million better pictures of philadelphia's eclectic and beautiful rowhouse architecture than that 1990s-vintage scene.
I tried to find some good ones on Flickr. A lot of the best ones were off limits for posting.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Anchorage and Juneau in Alaska?
You mean Los Anchorage?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 2:21 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I thought this would be comparing neighborhoods, which is really impossible, but kind of a favorite game of mine. And impossible to avoid for anyone who's moved from one major city to another, particularly as an expat.

For instance, one could say that Shoreditch (London) is kinda-sorta TriBeCa meets Lower East Side meets Williamsburg (NYC). The first bit due to proximity to the financial center (and the luxury apartments this brings), the last due to hipsterdom, but the density of the built environment and the level of grime well exceeds the 'Burg, so it's not just that; there's a dose of LES.
Interesting. If you have been to Paris, what neighborhoods there would you say are analogous with both London and NYC?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Yes...
that's what i thought.

Weird, because i never said comparisons have to be "exact" and i certainly didn't try to make an exact comparison (is that even possible?)...so i'm not sure why you accused me of doing that?

lol good ol' internet, bringing me my daily overdose of people getting upset about imaginary shit.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:24 AM

Oh relax, you're not the only one I've said something like that to in this thread.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Why did you post two pictures of Jacksonville?
LOL, I get your post now. Come on guys, Jacksonville is huge, look at that tall skyline:

Jacksonville, Metroscenes.com, by Matt Robinson

But seriously, it doesn't have to be huge for me to lIke it better than bigger skylines.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:39 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

modis

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Interesting. If you have been to Paris, what neighborhoods there would you say are analogous with both London and NYC?
I probably don't know all of Paris well enough to do this. We have our parts of it that we like and go back to (mostly eastern central Paris), unless we're there for longer.

With that said I don't think anyone would be shocked by the comparison of the Le Marais to NYC's West Village or London's Chelsea and Notting Hill. That one is the most obvious to me.

Pigalle in Paris is sort of like Soho in London, which is a bit tougher to compare to NYC. Maybe Meatpacking mixed with Chelsea and a bit of Lower East Side. Or maybe these days NoMad is a comparison, with it becoming newly trendy and full of restaurants. But you need the clubs, sex shops and burlesque as well (there's a reason the Box, the trendy burlesque from London's Soho, opened their NYC locale on Chrystie St and the Paris one in Pigalle).

Eastern Paris like eastern London like eastern central NYC (i.e., Brooklyn) is the more hipster part, so you could definitely compare the upper part of the 11th (around Avenue Parmentier) and the 19th with Williamsburg and Hoxton.

The 2nd as Midtown or the City (but the bit around St Paul's, not the eastern part), and the 1st is also part of Midtown for NYC, but more like Mayfair/St James in London. The 8th is perhaps the Upper East Side equivalent; in London that's Belgravia and part of Knightsbridge (unofficially Hans Town), down to Sloane Square.

I'd like to say Montmartre is a bit like Hampstead, but although they're both on a hill and have literary traditions, the former is much more central and feels different. Hampstead has a lot of open space (something which Paris lacks in general) and feels quieter and more residential. Part of that may be the crush of tourists that Montmartre constantly faces.

The Left Bank as the Upper West Side? Historically less prestigious (vs the Right Bank or Upper East Side), but more academic, artistic and literary.

This is a fun game, but like I said, very difficult. Kind of useful when looking for a place to stay, too. To be clear though, to do this one needs to focus mostly on the types of activity that goes on and the types of people who live/work/play in an area for comparisons. If one starts looking at the built environment instead, you could never compare most places to NYC, or anywhere in the US to Paris, etc.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Dec 23, 2017 at 10:05 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 10:17 AM

For NYC/London:

One of the things that's interesting recently is that as the "center of gravity" in NYC is shifting to Brooklyn, so it is to East London. NYC, if it doesn't already, will begin to resemble London as a fully "bi-polar" city. I don't mean mental health issues; I mean the fact that West and East form two nodes, which each offer everything, so a person doesn't need to go from one to the other.

Here in London you've long had Soho in the West and Shoreditch in the East as the 24hr shopping/playing/eating/drinking meccas (and then obviously more around both). Brooklyn was not at level a decade ago (Brooklynites will claim otherwise, but New York really was Manhattan through the early 00's), but it probably is now. The best indicator, IMO, is when restaurants in Manhattan regularly open a Brooklyn location, and vice versa (in fact, the other way around becomes more common). That's a longstanding thing here - a place can open in like, Hoxton Square, but it's just not practical for West Londoners to go that far east, so they open one in Soho as well.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 12:13 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

I regret not having visited Shoreditch, sounds like an interesting area.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 1:00 PM
BANNED

Phila. + Montreal -- good comparison, which had never come to mind before.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 2:00 PM

^ agreed. Almost inevitable though, will all the history yet having been usurped by other cities in their respective countries. And all those rowhouses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I regret not having visited Shoreditch, sounds like an interesting area.
Yes, just avoid it on weekends or Friday night. There's a lot of what New Yorkers would call the bridge & tunnel crowd. Bethnal Green east of Shoreditch has a lot of good restaurants and bars. That's full on Williamsburg.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 2:07 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Philadelphia is much more multinodal. Many towns and small cities spread along the rail lines. Montreal lacks this, and is more centralized.

Maybe the main line could be compared to the wealthy western Anglo sections of Montreal, though.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 7:45 PM
if I sang out of tune

San Francisco and Istanbul - hilly, Mediterranean, coastal, clapperboard, big bridges, trams, history of protest, leftfield, left wing, outdoorsy, hippies, beaches, rising star,
animal lovers, corporate, diverse, Oriental - Occidental. (But watch this space - under Erdogan Istanbul is under attack - Pride was banned this year ).

All pics of Istanbul:

www.wikimedia.org

http://angelshomehotel.com

http://tourist2townie.com

http://photographersdirect.com/pdwm....88&s=12941&p=8

www.krampfgallery.com, www.theguideistanbul.com

www.turkeyhomes.com, https://images.istanbulday.com

www.arabianbusiness.com

www.antalyahomes.com, https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...-Istanbul.html

http://www.artfridge.de/2016/07/inte...ollective.html

www.whatthesaintsdidnext.com
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by muppet; Dec 24, 2017 at 11:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 6:21 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ Man, Istanbul is basically San Francisco's older European/Asian brother by the looks of these pics. And since Istanbul is situated on both peninsulas, it's essentially what SF would have developed into if the city annexed Marin County back in the day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions