HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
For one thing, the trolley is laying on its cradle and is not attached to the
powerline.
Well, actually the streetcar is northbound (toward the camera) so this boom would be in it's cradle. Near the rear of the car the other boom is up although pretty hard to see. The error is the presence of that cream colored convertible parked up there on upper Hill Street. It belongs to Steve's ex-wife Anna and as she is going to visit him at the white house later in the film it shouldn't be up there now.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
^^^

And I wouldn't call this an error for the film, per se, but in reality a bus bench wouldn't have been in the middle of the road there.
Hard to believe but I think there was actually a bench on that raised island. The error is the presence of that cream colored convertible parked up there on upper Hill Street. It belongs to Steve's ex-wife Anna and as she is going to visit him at the white house later in the film it shouldn't be up there now.

Here's the bench...

Hill Street Tunnel at Temple, 1945

Small businesses and dilapidated hotels and apartments are in this view looking north from the top of the Hill Street Tunnel which was bored through a part of Bunker Hill in 1909 and connects Hill Street from First to Temple. The tunnel, of course, has two lanes; one for streetcars, left, and one for auto traffic. A northbound Pacific Red Car stops for passengers. It will continue across Temple and then bend slightly left (west) and enter a tunnel which will carry it under Fort Moore Hill and come out on the north side adjacent to the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Hill Street. A billboard for "Rice Krispies" with its "Snap, Crackle, Pop", right, is across the street in front of the 'Temp-Hill' Hotel (get it? Temp-Hill, Temple and Hill?? Yeah corny). Center, a billboard for "GMC Trucks" borders a parking lot. At the back of the lot is a billboard for "Eskimo Pie". A man (not Burt Lancaster, yet) climbs the stairs at the side of the tunnel. The broken balustrade on top is held together by a wooden frame.

LAPL

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Jul 30, 2017 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Typically, they were sprayed on to a nice flat plastered ceiling. If one wanted, it was easy enough, although kinda dirty and time consuming, to scrape the cottage cheese off and, voila', nice flat plastered ceiling. Later they were sprayed on to sheetrock. They were thought to be sound dampening and somewhat fire retardant.
The scrapped off cottage cheese does not leave a nice flat ceiling. It leaves a total mess that's full of scrapes and holes. It needs to be replastered and patched.

This poor guy is full of holes too. Love gone all wrong in LA.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4325/...33f39a_o_d.jpg

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jul 30, 2017 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
The scrapped off cottage cheese does not leave a nice flat ceiling. It leaves a total mess that's full of scrapes and holes. It needs to be replastered and patched.
You needed to be more careful. We did it in two houses. Ceiling 'repair' was minimal.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You needed to be more careful. We did it in two houses. Ceiling 'repair' was minimal.
...... reporting on typical noirish mob results. Have we seen this before on NLA?

The Hollywood mob at work. Noirish LA.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4303/...17d6d2_o_d.jpg

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 7:21 PM

[Sitting at computer, looking up at cottage cheese ceiling, which is omnipresent in house] I think cottage cheese ceilings are groovy! And yes, the supposed sound muffling quality has always been its primary boast. Let's test it! . . . [Shouts "Hurray for Noirish L.A.!" while sitting at computer. Walks to other end of house. Listens for several minutes. Walks back to computer.] . . . Nope! Couldn't hear a thing!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
[Sitting at computer, looking up at cottage cheese ceiling, which is omnipresent in house] I think cottage cheese ceilings are groovy! And yes, the supposed sound muffling quality has always been its primary boast. Let's test it! . . . [Shouts "Hurray for Noirish L.A.!" while sitting at computer. Walks to other end of house. Listens for several minutes. Walks back to computer.] . . . Nope! Couldn't hear a thing!
I didn't hear anything either.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:
...... reporting on typical noirish mob results. Have we seen this before on NLA?

The Hollywood mob at work. Noirish LA.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4303/...17d6d2_o_d.jpg
Well, I don't know if it's been on Noirish before but this is one of the two Tonys (Trombino would be my guess) sitting patiently in their Oldsmobile up on N Ogden waiting for the boys from County. Apparently his chum (the other Tony ((Brancato))) has been removed. The plaid blanket is sort of a giveaway. Negative has been reversed, Oldsmobiles were never right hand drive. Trombino and Blancato, a couple of free-lance jitterbugs from Kansas City, had been blatantly knocking over mob connected operations and finally the bosses had had enough. The murders, which occurred on North Ogden Drive just south of Hollywood Boulevard, remained unsolved for twenty-five years until Jimmy 'The Weasel' Fratianno turned state's evidence (and entered the witness protection program) confessed to punching these two guys out.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 2:00 AM

Here are some priors: post 1664 and 4385

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Typically, they were sprayed on to a nice flat plastered ceiling. If one wanted, it was easy enough, although kinda dirty and time consuming, to scrape the cottage cheese off and, voila', nice flat plastered ceiling. Later they were sprayed on to sheetrock. They were thought to be sound dampening and somewhat fire retardant.
Also to make them extra fire retardant, they'd add asbestos to the mix. Yummy.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Here are some priors: post 1664 and 4385

Another right-hand drive Oldsmobile.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Well, actually the streetcar is northbound (toward the camera) so this boom would be in it's cradle. Near the rear of the car the other boom is up although pretty hard to see. The error is the presence of that cream colored convertible parked up there on upper Hill Street. It belongs to Steve's ex-wife Anna and as she is going to visit him at the white house later in the film it shouldn't be up there now.

I don't profess to know much about cribs, cradles, masts, booms or busts but to my untrained eyes the forward-most boom looks tethered.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/630/2...9fda606b_b.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/...cbd9a4a3_o.jpg

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:27 PM

So...for those of you who slavishly embrace the 77 Sunset Strip reruns on MeTV (there must be at least 7 of you in the country, counting me), there was a corker episode on recently, Leap My Lovely. It was unique for a few reasons. The show was shot entirely on the Warner Bros lot--not just stage sets--but outside in the streets around the studio buildings. Fascinating look at the place in 1962. For the episode, the place was labeled "Paragon Studios"--often used in other episodes when a movie lot was called for.

John Dehner (a perennial character actor in other 77 SS episodes), played himself as a good buddy to Jeff Spenser (Roger Smith) who happened to be on the lot at the time. He was sitting outside his studio bungalow studying a script when pulled into the caper.

Also starred Diane McBain (Daphne Dutton from Surfside 6), who was the unwitting subject of an evil hypnotist.

It also ushered in a new graphic on the show, giant black 77 letters superimposed at the end of each sequence before breaks. Very chic for the time.

All in all, quite an enjoyable episode. Anyone else agree? I love it when the show actually had location scenes outside of the lot sets. A great look at LA in the early 60's. The crappy episodes usually consisted of Jeff or Stu on some assignment in a foreign country (obviously still shot on the WB lot), trying to solve some caper that no Private Investigator would ever be involved in.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
I don't profess to know much about cribs, cradles, masts, booms or busts but to my untrained eyes the forward-most boom looks tethered.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/630/2...9fda606b_b.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/...cbd9a4a3_o.jpg

Indeed. The car is driven by the rear mast, the trailing mast so that it angles away from the direction of travel so as to 'ride' the irregularities in the wires and not get caught up in them. Here the rear mast is hard to make out, little more than a stripe or blur where it passes over the balustrade. In your pic, car 5000 is likewise coming toward the camera.

Here's another shot of a northbound car at Temple and Hill, notice the connected mast is again the rear one...

Looking southwest across Hill and Temple Streets, ca.1948

We're only seeing the west (rail) tunnel of the twin Hill Street tunnels. This northbound car is pulling into the intersection aiming for the south portal of Hill Street tunnel number 2 which is exclusively for rail traffic. Auto traffic makes a short turn to the east at Temple and then a left up the grade at Fort Moore Hill and runs at the surface across to the Sunset grade. Hill Street tunnel number 2 exits at North Hill Street and turns west on Sunset Boulevard. Up on the hill here we can see Burt Lancaster's house from Criss Cross and on the extreme right, above this stylish little building on the corner we can see a snippet of the Majestic Apartments which will last to the absolute bitter end on this side of Bunker Hill.

LAPL

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 10:32 PM
BANNED

1897 LA souvenir....this is one of my family heirlooms.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4301/...2b9dd1_o_d.jpg

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Aug 1, 2017 at 2:24 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:36 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't believe we have visited the Tiffany Club at 3260 W. 8th Street.

http://jazzwestcoastresearch.blogspo...b-james-a.html

This photograph was taken after the Tiffany Club had evolved into a burlesque club, with the booking of major jazz acts a thing of the past.

but earlier....

The club hosted jazz greats Nat King Cole (Dec. 1951-Jan. 1952), Billie Holiday (March 1952), Cab Calloway (May 1952), Charlie Parker (June 1952, June 1953)
among others.

"The interior of the Tiffany Club featured a mirror that was angled behind the piano to allow patrons to observe the keyboard. If the drummer was positioned within the area covered by the mirror patrons could also watch that action. The back wall on each side of the suspended mirror featured a pastiche of musical instruments, piano keyboards, vinyl albums, musical staff paper, and other music related memorabilia in a musical mural." -jwcr

Here's a great image of Dave Brubeck showing both the mirror and musical 'pastiche' wallpaper that is mentioned in the description.

jwcr

and everyone knows this fine lady.

(taken at the Tiffany Club) jwcr

....lastly

"Unidentified sax, Charlie Parker (with trumpet), pianist Don Trenner, drummer Lawrence Marable, and an unidentified bassist in June of 1953."

The club changed to a 'burlesque'-type club in Oct. 1957.
_

This 1994 photo shows some of the same exterior facade as seen in the black and white pic at the top of the post.

and here's the facade today from the google-mobile.

gsv

hmmm...it looks familiar, so maybe we have been here before on NLA.

Special thanks to:

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:31 AM
BANNED

A vicious killer escapes from San Quentin with a cannister of what he believes to be heroin but is actually a radioactive substance that threatens all Los Angeles. Noir all the way....

See full film here>>>
https://youtu.be/qhZ1KHeenx8

81 minutes.
The funny thing is that cobalt 60 is easily contained in a simple lead container. If opened.....nothing happens, but its not a good idea to handle the material or
be exposed for more than a few minutes.....a fatal dose is possible.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Aug 1, 2017 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

....lastly

"Unidentified sax, Charlie Parker (with trumpet), pianist Don Trenner, drummer Lawrence Marable, and an unidentified bassist in June of 1953."

The club changed to a 'burlesque'-type club in Oct. 1957.
_

The unidentified sax player is Charlie Parker, Chet Baker is standing there with his trumpet...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustifer View Post
So...for those of you who slavishly embrace the 77 Sunset Strip reruns on MeTV (there must be at least 7 of you in the country, counting me), there was a corker episode on recently, Leap My Lovely. It was unique for a few reasons. The show was shot entirely on the Warner Bros lot--not just stage sets--but outside in the streets around the studio buildings. Fascinating look at the place in 1962. For the episode, the place was labeled "Paragon Studios"--often used in other episodes when a movie lot was called for.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Rustifer. I've researched the WB back lot in the late-70s to mid-80s because that's when The Dukes of Hazzard was filmed there (when they visited a movie studio, it was labeled "Majestic Studios"), so it was interesting to see the lot 15-20 years earlier. The chase appears to take place on New York Street, which is still recognizable, and I think I spotted the church on Midwest Street (AKA Hazzard Square) in the background of one of the roof shots.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't believe we have visited the Tiffany Club at 3260 W. 8th Street.

This photograph was taken after the Tiffany Club had evolved into a burlesque club, with the booking of major jazz acts a thing of the past.
Ms. Maison appears to be a bit of a mystery, not appearing in the usual data bases of ecdysiastical talent.

Cheers,

Earl

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos