HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
My pick ( Brooke Henderson) for Canadian female athlete of the year. Followed closely by Jennifer Jones!
Nailed it!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/golf/brooke...2015-1.3382038

Well, except for the Jennifer Jones part. Can't believe she wasn't even named on the ballot! All she did was win Olympic Gold in 2014, Canadian Champion in 2015, and lost in the 2015 World Championship finals 5-3.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 5:17 AM
Go Chiefs!

I am probably going to be hated on but a golfer as female athlete of the year. Really?

Should have been 100% Kadeisha Buchanan.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 7:18 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
I am probably going to be hated on but a golfer as female athlete of the year. Really
12th time a golfer has won the award. Really.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 11:44 AM

Flutie: Great memories of BC and the CFL

Doug Flutie tells Moj and Burnsie that he has great memories of playing in BC and the CFL, and would recommend the league to any curious player. Catch full Super Bowl coverage from 6pm-midnight Friday on TSN1040

9:40-10:50 Poseurs beware

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I am probably going to be hated on but a golfer as female athlete of the year. Really?

Should have been 100% Kadeisha Buchanan.
You say that about a golfer while pushing tennis? Talk about stereotyping.

As for Buchanan, I think her performance at the WC wasn't as consistent game in and game out as Josee Belanger who was fantastic while playing a totally new position. I got a lot of props for that because I was promoting her before the tournament, but as a forward though.

Hard to give awards to a player on a team that under achieved. They just couldn't get on track the whole tournament despite their record. They were a better team than England and they blew it and I don't blame Sesselman, the team just wasn't playing near to their potential.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The London Irish have signed Ciaran Hearn of St. John's to a pro rugby contract. He's played 6 games with them and already been named Man of the Match for one and is nominated for Try of the Week.

He played for the Baymen and the Rock here, went on to the Canadian National Team from there.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 11:11 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

John Scott just stepped on the ice at Mile One. The crowd is chanting MVP! MVP! And half of them will probably be sleeping there because cars are stuck in the storm at the entrances to the parking garage.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 1:20 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
You say that about a golfer while pushing tennis? Talk about stereotyping.

As for Buchanan, I think her performance at the WC wasn't as consistent game in and game out as Josee Belanger who was fantastic while playing a totally new position. I got a lot of props for that because I was promoting her before the tournament, but as a forward though.

Hard to give awards to a player on a team that under achieved. They just couldn't get on track the whole tournament despite their record. They were a better team than England and they blew it and I don't blame Sesselman, the team just wasn't playing near to their potential.
Are you seriously going to compare the 2 sports?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Are you seriously going to compare the 2 sports?
I don't compare sports, I respect skill sets. If I compared tennis to amateur wrestling I would conclude that tennis players are wimps. That's as ridiculous a premise as your original golf insult.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 1:37 AM

Quote:
I don't compare sports, I respect skill sets. If I compared tennis to amateur wrestling I would conclude that tennis players are wimps. That's as ridiculous a premise as your original golf insult.
I can think of several tennis players who would look good in singlets.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 2:38 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
You do have to admit though that the amount of physical abilities needed are far greater in soccer than in golf. Hence my argument that Kadeisha Buchanan should have won. I had no intention of insulting golf, I am just comparing the skillsets of different athletes.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 3:12 AM

Quote:
You do have to admit though that the amount of physical abilities needed are far greater in soccer than in golf.
Actually no, I wouldn't, having played both, I think I could make a case for both. Again different skill sets, not comparable.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 4:28 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
You do have to admit though that the amount of physical abilities needed are far greater in soccer than in golf ... I had no intention of insulting golf, I am just comparing the skillsets of different athletes.
They're two different sports, IMO, and you're absolutely wrong. One is team-based and one is individual based, for starters.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
They're two different sports, IMO, and you're absolutely wrong. One is team-based and one is individual based, for starters.
Also, I don't think he has considered the mental aspects of the game and the physical stresses and pressures that come with them. In golf, you're playing for your supper every week, there is nowhere to hide and no team to back you up, They are just not comparable but mental fitness is an important consideration as well.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 5:07 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Also, I don't think he has considered the mental aspects of the game and the physical stresses and pressures that come with them. In golf, you're playing for your supper every week, there is nowhere to hide and no team to back you up, They are just not comparable but mental fitness is an important consideration as well.
This I agree. Golfers have to be mentally stronger than soccer players. I guess it depends on how much you value things in a athlete.
Personally when I evaluate, I am looking for someone who has shown great physical abilities first and foremost. This is why I have a hard time putting golfers or curlers in the discussion of athlete of the year.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 4:22 PM
City Maker

I have to agree with Nicko. Golf doesn't demand as much athleticism as other sports and the title is Female Athlete of the Year.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:56 PM

The Great Canadian Ratings Report: U.S. college football final proves worth of CIS game
Chris Zelkovich Eh Game 12 January 2016

Maybe it's time to bury a few myths about college football in Canada -- and we're talking about both the variety played on this side of the border and the one that emanates from south of here.

The myth is that nobody but friends and relatives cares about the Canadian version and that millions of Canadians are more attached to Notre Dame or Ohio State than they are to Wilfrid Laurier or the University of Alberta.

While television ratings aren't the be-all and end-all to proving popularity, they are a pretty good indication of what tickles the fancies of your average viewer. And the ratings indicate that the gap between the two brands of football is pretty minimal.

Take Monday's much-hyped NCAA championship game between Clemson and Alabama. It was a heck of a good football game and kept viewers on the edge of their seats for its entirety, with see-saw leads, spectacular plays and plenty of drama.

The game, won 45-40 by Alabama, averaged 379,000 viewers on TSN -- interestingly down 18 per cent from last year's game. That's not a bad audience, but it was only 68,000 higher than what last November's Vanier Cup game between UBC and Montreal drew on Sportsnet. (Equally interesting, ESPN's broadcast averaged 25.7 million in the U.S., a 23 per cent drop from last year.)

Considering that Monday's game was played in prime time during the post-Christmas lull and the Vanier Cup happened on a Saturday afternoon during the pre-Christmas frenzy, that's pretty much a draw.

In itself, that's amazing considering all the pre-game hype that surrounds the American variety and the fact that excitement is whipped up by all those NCAA games that air on both Canadian and American television. The Canadian game, meanwhile gets next to no hype and scant television time.

Without that kind of build-up, it gets awfully difficult to create an audience. Yet, the CIS game fares well in comparison to the American one.

Taking all of that into account, you really have to wonder how this myth has endured.

Without getting all Sigmund Freud about it, the answer probably lies in our national inferiority complex. Or maybe it has more to do with the higher alcohol content in our beer. Whatever the reason, the time has come to shovel dirt on that myth.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

The game, won 45-40 by Alabama, averaged 379,000 viewers on TSN -- interestingly down 18 per cent from last year's game. That's not a bad audience, but it was only 68,000 higher than what last November's Vanier Cup game between UBC and Montreal drew on Sportsnet. (Equally interesting, ESPN's broadcast averaged 25.7 million in the U.S., a 23 per cent drop from last year.)

Considering that Monday's game was played in prime time during the post-Christmas lull and the Vanier Cup happened on a Saturday afternoon during the pre-Christmas frenzy, that's pretty much a draw.
Actually, more Canadians watched the Vanier Cup than the NCAA game by a wide margin, since the francophones who watched it in French are Canadians too.

The Vanier Cup always draws a couple hundred thousand francophone TV viewers (on RDS or TVA Sports) when a Quebec team is involved.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 6:44 PM

it never ceases to amaze me how the network jugheads in Toronto ignore Canadian sports for American when there is so much potential to grow Canadian properties.

Look how TSN benefitted from giving just a tad of meaningful coverage to the CFL, same with curling. Canadians want to see Canadians, people they know from places they know.

It's especially irksome when they publicize NCAA teams that aren't even as good as CIS schools. I'd be curious to find out how many people could point out where Clemson is without looking it up. Not too darn many.

Was listening to PTS and heard John Shannon a fifty something year old man talking about "my Wolverines" (he went to Ryerson). Why doesn't he wax poetic about the good basketball program Ryerson has. What a poseur, gimme a break.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 6:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Was listening to PTS and heard John Shannon a fifty something year old man talking about "my Wolverines" (he went to Ryerson). Why doesn't he wax poetic about the good basketball program Ryerson has. What a poseur, gimme a break.
Shannon is originally a BCer from the Okanagan Valley. Surely a legendary hotbed of Michigan Wolverines fans if there ever was one...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada