HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
California is artificially expensive, high tax, poorly run. Its over-crowded, polluted and prone to natural disasters. It has more people domestically leaving it annually every year than it gains domestically. The Economy of California is beginning to look more like Latin America with a super wealthy elite class but the vast majority being desperately poor.
Because the desperately poor don't live anywhere else in the US?

I think you're failing to realize too, that many California voters have even voted for higher taxes on the state level and on the local level. Most voters wanted to keep the higher gas tax to support transportation infrastructure, and we did. My own local city (South Pasadena) is holding an election (I've already voted by mail) to see if we want to raise the sales tax by .75 percent to help keep our services status quo; it will keep our library open 7 days a week, help keep our police department, as opposed to dissolving it and contracting with the LA County Sheriff Department... etc. I voted yes to raise the sales tax.

Quote:
You can float your opinion all you want but the facts are there and many thousands of people are actively leaving California and the stories of its poorly run debilitating state are everywhere.
Oh, you mean opinion articles written by conservatives, or op-ed columns from conservative websites/publications?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:58 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

1. A thread that is not about cities in the "City Discussions" subforum

2. A thread intended from the start to function as an opportunity for forum conservatives to attack their usual political and cultural targets in the usual ways, but outside of the "Current Events" subforum

3. A thread that is no different from the other anti-California shit show that is currently clogging up the "Current Events" toilet as we speak

Absolutely nothing justifies this thread's existence here.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Because the desperately poor don't live anywhere else in the US?

I think you're failing to realize too, that many California voters have even voted for higher taxes on the state level and on the local level. Most voters wanted to keep the higher gas tax to support transportation infrastructure, and we did. My own local city (South Pasadena) is holding an election (I've already voted by mail) to see if we want to raise the sales tax by .75 percent to help keep our services status quo; it will keep our library open 7 days a week, help keep our police department, as opposed to dissolving it and contracting with the LA County Sheriff Department... etc. I voted yes to raise the sales tax.

Oh, you mean opinion articles written by conservatives, or op-ed columns from conservative websites/publications?

They are not opinion pieces the increase in exotic illness , the homelessness, the high cost of living, rolling blackouts, water shortages. The news reports are endless and the population exodus backs it up.

That doesn't get into what you could deem an actual opinion which would be weather we should mandate Solar Power on homes or have over the top gas taxes, or build high speed rail from nowhere to nowhere.

Once again, you dont need to get defensive but the problems in California are currently regularly in the national spotlight and when you have a situation like now where a fire is being exacerbated by state-level ineptitude it just demonstrates the issues in the state.

This is the reality of California at the moment, and simply pretending like its untrue isnt going to fix the problems.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:

Once again, you dont need to get defensive but the problems in California are currently regularly in the national spotlight and when you have a situation like now where a fire is being exacerbated by state-level ineptitude it just demonstrates the issues in the state.
Oh, you mean wildfires started by the lack of maintenance by private, for-profit utility companies?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
1. A thread that is not about cities in the "City Discussions" subforum

2. A thread intended from the start to function as an opportunity for forum conservatives to attack their usual political and cultural targets in the usual ways, but outside of the "Current Events" subforum

3. A thread that is no different from the other anti-California shit show that is currently clogging up the "Current Events" toilet as we speak

Absolutely nothing justifies this thread's existence here.

It always delves into politics because a certain group can't help themselves. They hate Calfornia, no matter what they say. It's sad.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Oh, you mean wildfires started by the lack of maintenance by private, for-profit utility companies?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
They are not opinion pieces the increase in exotic illness , the homelessness, the high cost of living, rolling blackouts, water shortages. The news reports are endless and the population exodus backs it up.

That doesn't get into what you could deem an actual opinion which would be weather we should mandate Solar Power on homes or have over the top gas taxes, or build high speed rail from nowhere to nowhere.

This is the reality of California at the moment, and simply pretending like its untrue isnt going to fix the problems.
Do you know these tens of thousands of people yourself? Or are you just assuming and hoping they're desperate to leave? Cause the Calfornians I know that have left can't wait to return (and have) after seeing these AMAZING other states.

What exotic illlness? The one's where a few people (out of 40 millon) suffer from? Do you know there's FLESH EATING BACTERIA in Florida this year?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
You can float your opinion that these people aren't being priced out and "dream" of Texas and Arizona.
You have some weird poltiical agenda against the state, so ....
I've known about 5 people that have left the state over the last couple of years.. All for financial reasons. All are dying to come back except for 1. Missouri, Texas, Tennessee, Vegas etc.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:23 PM

Yup, that's my experience too. And I've only been here a few years. These opinions are all over social media too and it's becoming more and more common, to the bemoaning of Texas and Georgia residents. Their response is " Suck it up".

There's a show on Netflix called Last Chance U, where all the coaches are from Calfiornia and stuck in some school in the south somewhere. They all talk about going back to California ASAP.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:29 PM

No one is denying that we have issues, however, everything in and about California is always in the spotlight and exaggerated for obvious reasons.

Is amazing how little outsiders understand about our annual fires, how and where they start, the reasons why they grow out of control sometimes or the amount of preventive care that is done. Bottom line, it's nearly impossible to stop a fire from spreading when the winds are blowing at 90 mph and the terrain is typically steeper than anything you'll find in 45 other states.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:30 PM

Yes the monopolistic extremely regulated granted utility company is for profit. How does that impact my statement of your local state officials being inept?

Say the utility company was not for profit and directly run by the state instead of indirectly run by the state. What would be different in this current situation? I suspect not much.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:31 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

re: many californians not being able to imagine living anywhere else being arrogant, i say give them a pass...my weekends spent on the marin/sonoma/mendocino/humboldt coast were tear-to-the-eye beautiful. as they say californians don’t transplant well and i think that’s for good enough reason.

doesn’t make these push/pull factors any less real, either.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:31 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I see a lot of CA plates here in TX and especially along I-10..(or 'the 10' to you guys) and most transplants come here out of necessity and survival...which motivates most people to uproot themselves other than a job transfer. That's why I moved down here 22 years ago, the economic situation back home was pretty bad.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Yup, that's my experience too. And I've only been here a few years. These opinions are all over social media too and it's becoming more and more common, to the bemoaning of Texas and Georgia residents. Their response is " Suck it up".

There's a show on Netflix called Last Chance U, where all the coaches are from Calfiornia and stuck in some school in the south somewhere. They all talk about going back to California ASAP.
Lol Scooba Mississippi is is a tiny podunk town in Mississippi. It has nothing to do with why atlanta is so popular.

It’s absurd to think anyone would want to stay in Scooba they are literally only their to coach a unique jr football program.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:35 PM

I don’t understand why you los Angelenos are claiming your anecdotal experience is representative. the stats say everything that needs to be said about your situation

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:36 PM

Again, you see the wrong things.
If California was so wretched, why don't do these college coaches "dream" of going to Georgia from there? It's closer. No, they they talk about how they miss California and can't wait to return.

Which is a common thing to see on social media, no matter how much you want to deny it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
I don’t understand why you los Angelenos are claiming your anecdotal experience is representative. the stats say everything that needs to be said about your situation
It's your opinion. "Desperate to leave" is COMING FROM YOU.

You don't know the situtations for hundreds of thousands of people, you're just HOPING (or praying, idk) that they hate California as much as you do.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
It's your opinion. "Desperate to leave" is COMING FROM YOU.

You don't know the situtations for hundreds of thousands of people, you're just HOPING (or praying, idk) that they hate California as much as you do.
It’s not my opinion at all https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...iving.amp.html

You guys are strangely in denial it’s actually hilarious.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:45 PM

Quote:
It’s not my opinion at all https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...iving.amp.html

You guys are strangely in denial it’s actually hilarious.
That could be related to this:

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- While Donald Trump has spent much of his presidency focused on the number of people who want to get into the U.S., since he took office, record numbers of Americans have wanted to get out.

Though relatively average by global standards, the 16% of Americans overall who said in 2017 and again in 2018 that they would like to permanently move to another country -- if they could -- is higher than the average levels during either the George W. Bush (11%) or Barack Obama administration (10%).
https://news.gallup.com/poll/245789/...ans-leave.aspx

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:53 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

A thread that is not about cities in City Discussions? Check.

A new and inappropriate venue outside of Current Events for conservatives to expand their culture war against California? Check.

A copycat thread no different from the existing anti-California thread in Current Events? Check.

Check, please.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions