HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 12:54 AM

Many of those peninsula communities are just toast. Toast. Are there any plans to rebuild in those areas, or do the landowneres just concede that nature won this time? Our hearts go out to those who lost their homes and nearly everything they had.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 3:27 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Hizzy View Post
In fairness, that's because the majority of the Houston area experienced relatively minor damage. The western side of the city--and especially west of the Beltway and out into the suburbs such as Katy, Brookshire, Fulshear, Richmond, etc--it barely even looks like a hurricane ever hit. However, in the immediate coastal areas and some of the inner-most eastern suburbs, the devestation is severe, especially in the northern coastal areas (Gilchrist, Port Bolivar, Crystal Beach). These are compelling phtos that Shasta included, but they don't include other coastal communities such as Baytown, Texas City, Morgan's Point, Smith's Point, Beach City, La Marque, etc.
I think my Dad and his neighbors in West University would disagree regarding the damage. It's a mess with all the trees and fences down, and roof damage. Hmmmm...just looked at your post again...you said "relatively", and you're correct regarding the Houston damage compared to the immediate coastal area.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 2:21 PM

This, now famous, yellow house in Gilchrist, Texas, was built to be able to still be standing after a Cat. 5 storm:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/18/ike...ref=rss_latest

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 8:26 PM
Meh

Some more photos from Boston.com, including an image of Ike from the ISS.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...l_life_of.html

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 5:36 AM
Ex Houstonian

WOW! I havent really seen any photos down there until now. I used to live in Houston and would go down to Bolivar about every other month to get out of the city. Its amazing to see the places I used to frequent just blown away. Theres nothing left of Bolivar, thats incredible. Im going down there in a week to visit some family and I cant wait to see what its like. My family down there just got their power back this afternoon, 14 days without power. I sure hope people dont rebuild their houses down there, its just stupid.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos