HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:23 AM

BTW, besides all the other reasons, this pic is astounding in sharpness given that I've tried to take photos from that type of viewpoint before, but always have had thermal rising air distorting the picture and making it impossible to get a sharp shot.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
^Well, Denver and Seattle have cases as well. That isn't to say Los Angeles' is inferior to the former.
Naahh...Denver is"far away" from the mountains which makes it less impresive...Seattle with mr.rainier is very impressive but still lacks more mountains ...the same for portland...
Salt lake city and Santiago (chile) do have very nice background mountains

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Exactly, while this is a nice photo it obviously makes the mountains look much larger then they really are. From this view it seems that Mt. Baldy is close to downtown but it is really quite far away.

I know I don't live in LA but I have driven through on crystal clear Santa Ana days and the mountains look close and big but not at all like this. Hell this shot makes it look like Santiago with the giant Andes rising behind it!

Personally I would say that Salt Lake City has the best mountain backdrop of any major US city. The mountains look very tall and steep in SLC and they are very close to downtown.
I tell you one thing though...When i visited Santiago(chile) i was a bit disappointed...the andes looks eay bigger and much more impressive in photos than in the real life.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 9:43 PM

I have to say- the San Gabriel are tall, bulky mountains, but not particularly striking or unique. Here in Montana there are hundreds of peaks like that-- just no cities in front of them. I agree the Wasatch Range behind SLC is much prettier, closer, and more striking to the visitor than the (often invisible) San Gabriel range. Here's a non-telephoto pic I took from the SLC Airport earlier this year, then a telephoto shot of the same place, and another, much more distant shot of Las Vegas, which shows you the relative height of local ranges.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 11:56 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Design View Post
Naahh...Denver is"far away" from the mountains which makes it less impresive...Seattle with mr.rainier is very impressive but still lacks more mountains ...the same for portland...
Salt lake city and Santiago (chile) do have very nice background mountains
Uhh...they are 15 miles away. Mt. Baldy is certainly more than 15 miles away from downtown Los Angeles.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 1:24 AM

Whoa baby, that's a sweet pano! I love cities located near mountains or water. LA's got both! (as does Seattle)

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 1:28 AM

Impressive, I love the mountain backdrop as well.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
I have to say- the San Gabriel are tall, bulky mountains, but not particularly striking or unique. Here in Montana there are hundreds of peaks like that-- just no cities in front of them. I agree the Wasatch Range behind SLC is much prettier, closer, and more striking to the visitor than the (often invisible) San Gabriel range. Here's a non-telephoto pic I took from the SLC Airport earlier this year, then a telephoto shot of the same place, and another, much more distant shot of Las Vegas, which shows you the relative height of local ranges.

Those SLC Airport Photos are telephoto, I do plenty of photography in order to be able to say that.

The San Gabriel Valley mountains start at 3,000 ft high and progress higher and higher, till it peaks in Mt. Baldy (Mt. San Antonio) at more than 10,000 ft above sea level, with several peaks at 8,000 ft (the range is at least 55 miles long). Thus, they are pretty imposing, like in Pasadena:

By So Cal Metro

The San Bernardino Mountains, just beside and east of the San Gabriel Mountains, are even bigger and more imposing:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/im...iaP-11-500.jpg

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 2:36 AM

That picture of Las Vegas hardly shows any mountains. The Spring Mountains are a spectacular mountain range on the west side of Vegas. The highest peak is 11,918’ Mount Charleston. That’s 10,000’ above the valley floor.

Here’s one of my pics. Mt. Charleston is the pointy peak on the right with a few streaks of snow.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 2:38 AM

Ok.. i work in Salt Lake City and have lived in CA. LA mountain views, while nice are NOTHING compared to SLC mountain views...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Ok.. i work in Salt Lake City and have lived in CA. LA mountain views, while nice are NOTHING compared to SLC mountain views...
Yeah I particularly love how the SLC mountains slope down to the blue Pacific ocean.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 3:12 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Why did this thing turn into a versus thread? Can we please stop.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 3:26 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

It's SSP. It's always a versus thread. Someone could post "Los Angeles has the most two-story Tudor housing on the West Coast" and then Portland, Oakland, and Honolulu forumers start spouting out "Winner of West Coast Tudor Awards" from 1967.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Yeah I particularly love how the SLC mountains slope down to the blue Pacific ocean.
lol.. what does that have to do with anything? LA has beautiful scenery, SLC has beautiful scenery.

This is an LA thread, so I will now stick with talking LA and say wow, fantastic pano.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos