HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 9:54 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
Show us the real side of Brazil. Not the wannabee California dream.
Nice photos, but I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THIS. I mean, i'm not saying that this is not part of 'the real Brazil', but going out of your way to take a picture of a Maserati, or a Blockbuster Video is a little strange...i'm personally not impressed by that. I think what he and I are requesting is perhaps a more balanced view of Brazil that includes way more local culture and character and way less postcard fantasies.

Of course, that is just me, i'll still likely look at these Brazil photo threads, but i'm just sayin.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 10:44 PM
FUS RO DAH!

dude, there were DOZENS of brazilian threads posted on this forum already. Some show poor areas. Some show middle class areas. Some show high class areas. What I can not accept is that every time a thread show high class areas, people say "show us the real Brazil".

The real Brazil is all that. When you see a picture of 40 thousand highrises in São Paulo, is not true Brazil, considering millions of people live there?

Many "local tours" of several brazilian cities were already posted here too. Big cities. Medium cities. Very small cities too.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Nice photos, but I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THIS. I mean, i'm not saying that this is not part of 'the real Brazil', but going out of your way to take a picture of a Maserati, or a Blockbuster Video is a little strange...i'm personally not impressed by that. I think what he and I are requesting is perhaps a more balanced view of Brazil that includes way more local culture and character and way less postcard fantasies.

Of course, that is just me, i'll still likely look at these Brazil photo threads, but i'm just sayin.
I think that you can't accept the fact that Brazil has its extremely weathy and cosmopolitan areas.

Not everything has to be "local" .

This thread shows wealthy coastal areas. If you want to see other sides of the country, there are plenty of threads showing them.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:51 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
dude, there were DOZENS of brazilian threads posted on this forum already. Some show poor areas. Some show middle class areas. Some show high class areas. What I can not accept is that every time a thread show high class areas, people say "show us the real Brazil".

The real Brazil is all that. When you see a picture of 40 thousand highrises in São Paulo, is not true Brazil, considering millions of people live there?

Many "local tours" of several brazilian cities were already posted here too. Big cities. Medium cities. Very small cities too.
I basically just acknowledged all of that in the post you quoted.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:53 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
I think that you can't accept the fact that Brazil has its extremely weathy and cosmopolitan areas.
Huh? That doesn't even make sense dear. Why wouldn't I 'be able to accept that Brazil has wealthy areas'? Of course it does. Most nations do. I love Brazil, I just would personally prefer to see a wider variety of environments. I'm just making a suggestion. Don't take it personally.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:00 AM
Posh

Why does almost every thread about Brazil have to denigrate into arguments about the slums?

Can't we just enjoy the pictures?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:13 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Why does almost every thread about Brazil have to denigrate into arguments about the slums?

Can't we just enjoy the pictures?
Who's arguing? I do enjoy the pictures, and I said that. I gave a suggestion of the kind of stuff i'd like to see more of. Nobody should take that personally.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Who's arguing? I do enjoy the pictures, and I said that. I gave a suggestion of the kind of stuff i'd like to see more of. Nobody should take that personally.
007 obviously hasn't seen Babel yet. (*spreads legs open). Language doesn't come in just type and spoken... someone can communicate a lot with visuals, to name an example.

I can stand here and say I "love you" , but it doesn't mean a damn thing until I stop whipping you, or I reveal that I have a dominatrix fetish.

You guys were just responding to that.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:13 PM
FUS RO DAH!

BNABreaker, I will blame the forum for your complaints. The lack of SEARCH FUNCTION specifically.

There are many threads showing small brazilian cities, and also poor brazilians cities, and even some threads about favelas.

Unfortunatelly, most threads wont be about such areas, for one reason: the brazilians who post here are mostly from bigger cities (I am from a medium sized city with 250k people) and are from medium/high class background.

Favelas are dangerous to enter and take pics. Americans in this forum mostly also do not visit the really bad areas of their cities, do they? The areas where they risk having their cameras stolen by some local ghetto gang, or even worse!

Now, the few threads posted about small cities on this forum get to page 10 in less than one day, with very few replies. Threads about favelas last a bit longer, but not that much, and anyway, you cant find them anymore because of the lack of search.

My suggestion: enjoy and reply more of the few threads about favelas and small cities post here! And keep an open eye for such threads, since when they go to page 3 and beyond, it will be hard to find them!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:55 PM
Future God

Quote:
BNABreaker, I will blame the forum for your complaints. The lack of SEARCH FUNCTION specifically.

There are many threads showing small brazilian cities, and also poor brazilians cities, and even some threads about favelas.

Unfortunatelly, most threads wont be about such areas, for one reason: the brazilians who post here are mostly from bigger cities (I am from a medium sized city with 250k people) and are from medium/high class background.

Favelas are dangerous to enter and take pics. Americans in this forum mostly also do not visit the really bad areas of their cities, do they? The areas where they risk having their cameras stolen by some local ghetto gang, or even worse!

Now, the few threads posted about small cities on this forum get to page 10 in less than one day, with very few replies. Threads about favelas last a bit longer, but not that much, and anyway, you cant find them anymore because of the lack of search.

My suggestion: enjoy and reply more of the few threads about favelas and small cities post here! And keep an open eye for such threads, since when they go to page 3 and beyond, it will be hard to find them!

Hey point taken my friend, and don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to draw away from these photos in this thread with my suggestions. I didn't mean, though, that I wanted anyone to wander through a flavella with an expensive camera though. Obviously nobody's safety is worth putting at risk just to satisfy mine or anyone elses pettie satisfaction on a photo thread.

I think what myself and Phillipe were addressing was how this particular poster clearly went out of her way to show photos of gated communities, expensive european cars, american chain stores, and french botiques.

While everyone is certainly free to take photos of whatever they choose, I don't think anyone is really impressed by that particular type of thing, and I know most people would rather see a shot of the average urban street or something of that nature, and would likely get a better reaction to the photos overall if that type of thing was mixed with those gorgeous beach photos. Again, just a suggestion

You're right though, most Brazilians seem to be from big cities. All of my Brazilian friends are either from Sao Paulo or Belo Horizonte. lol

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:29 PM
(Oo=vw=oO) .:R32

WOW!!! Nice pics. Recife looks really cool. How is that city compared to Rio or San Paulo?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:23 PM

I exactly think like BnaBreaker.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:40 PM
FUS RO DAH!

well, its true that Mary only shows pics of REALLY rich areas in Brazil. She hardly will even show pics of downtowns, etc. But that is her particular style.

Its not that she only cares about such areas in Brazil. Its that she only cares about such areas in the world. She considers Malibu, Miami, etc, to be the best places in US, and doesnt like very much either northeast US or Europe (maybe only the rich, Maibuesque areas of mediterranean Europe)...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 8:05 PM
Future God

Quote:
well, its true that Mary only shows pics of REALLY rich areas in Brazil. She hardly will even show pics of downtowns, etc. But that is her particular style.

Its not that she only cares about such areas in Brazil. Its that she only cares about such areas in the world. She considers Malibu, Miami, etc, to be the best places in US, and doesnt like very much either northeast US or Europe (maybe only the rich, Maibuesque areas of mediterranean Europe)...
So basically she doesn't care about the city, she cares about the name and whether it is trendy or not. lol

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 12:57 AM
Mac User

Now I want to go to Brazil (the endless summer part), but I hate long plane trips.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:24 PM

Beautiful Photo's Thankyou for Sharing

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 12:04 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
Now I want to go to Brazil (the endless summer part), but I hate long plane trips.
Then just drive to Surrey. Same thing. lol

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 1:40 AM
FUS RO DAH!

well, it IS possible to drive from Alaska to Patagonia you know...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 2:07 AM
Future God

Quote:
well, it IS possible to drive from Alaska to Patagonia you know...
I've always wanted to do that.

-Bob Marley

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos