HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 1:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

The demise of the Amtrak dining car

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:17 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

amtrak is redoing the dining cars:

https://nypost.com/2019/09/22/millen...on-trains/amp/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:26 PM

Blaming it on millennials when it's the railroad (run by airline guys) who just wants to save the money is bullshit.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

Have had the food on the Cardinal. It was expensive and not very good. Not a surprise its failing.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Blaming it on millennials when it's the railroad (run by airline guys) who just wants to save the money is bullshit.
Are you saying they did that to increase profits?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDC View Post
Are you saying they did that to increase profits?
Decrease losses more accurately. They'd like to kill every last long distance route but politically it's not possible. Making it more miserable is the next best option.

I got a revenue raiser for Amtrak: Move to assigned seating and let me board the train instead of standing in a stupid line inside the station when the trainset is just sitting there empty at the platform. I'd pay real money for that.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 11:42 PM

Change Petition for Amtrak to keep dining service
http://chng.it/WYbMXDR9Y5

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 11:32 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Beijing to Shangai is 811 rail miles, and the fastest one stop, at Nanjing South, trains take 4.5 hours to travel that far, averaging 181 mph.
China spent $32 Billion to build it, the initial projections was as low as $16 Billion, a year later projections rose to $25 Billion. So even in China they experience a doubling of the costs to build, where all the land is owned by the government and there are no property taxes to pay, and costs of labor are significantly lower than in Europe or America.

The good news to report is that they report a profit of $1 Billion a year, with 165,000 passengers daily, which is 25% lower than the projected 220,000 daily passengers. 80,000 daily passengers still take the old slow trains between these two cities, so not everyone is willing to pay extra for the faster service.
FYI, 165,000 passengers x 365 days = 60.225 million passengers each year on this one HSR line. That's twice what Amtrak gets nationally.

I do not foresee Amtrak being able to run the 959 rail miles between New York City and Chicago with just one station stop. If it is going to cost CHSR between $63.2 billion and $98.1 Billion to build a 525 rail miles HSR line between Los Angeles and San Francisco, what do you think it would cost to build a HSR between New York City and Chicago? Twice as much as CHSR because it is twice as far? That could be six times more than China's $32 Billion between Beijing and Shanghai, potentially as much as $196 Billion. Would anyone believe any dollar figure Amtrak or anybody else would suggest?

All the $$$$ amounts written in this response was found at Wiki for CHSR and Beijing to Shanghai HSR or calculated from them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...igh-Speed_Rail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijin...-speed_railway
Just FYI, there are no one-stop trains on the Jinghu HSR anymore. Ever since they increased the speed from 300km/h to 350km/h a couple of years ago, the fastest trains now make two stops, one at Nanjing South and another at Jinan West. You can take these fastest trains from either Shanghai Hongqiao Station or Shanghai Railway Station, though the train from Shanghai Railway Station is about 10 minutes slower due to the older line in the centre of Shanghai until reaching the new HSR line in the city's suburbs.

The real competition on this route, at least for me, is the overnight D train that runs from Shanghai Railway Station to Beijing South and takes about 12 hours (it runs on the old conventional rail line and has a maximum speed of 160km/h). You can leave Shanghai at either 7pm or 9pm and get to Beijing at either 7am or 9am (and vice versa), which is perfect if you have an early morning meeting and you don't want to stay in a hotel the night before. The first class bunk (four to a room) costs 675RMB (about US$95), only a little more than a second class seat on a G (HSR) train.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Decrease losses more accurately. They'd like to kill every last long distance route but politically it's not possible. Making it more miserable is the next best option.
The long-distance routes are Amtrak's biggest financial burden. I think Amtrak probably needs to be split into two companies; one for the leisure routes, and one for actual functional routes, where timetables matter.
Quote:
I got a revenue raiser for Amtrak: Move to assigned seating and let me board the train instead of standing in a stupid line inside the station when the trainset is just sitting there empty at the platform. I'd pay real money for that.
Acela has assigned seating. I wouldn't take it otherwise.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
I do not foresee Amtrak being able to run the 959 rail miles between New York City and Chicago with just one station stop. If it is going to cost CHSR between $63.2 billion and $98.1 Billion to build a 525 rail miles HSR line between Los Angeles and San Francisco, what do you think it would cost to build a HSR between New York City and Chicago? Twice as much as CHSR because it is twice as far? That could be six times more than China's $32 Billion between Beijing and Shanghai, potentially as much as $196 Billion. Would anyone believe any dollar figure Amtrak or anybody else would suggest?
To be fair, the CA HSR route is enormously complex, with vast tunneling through mountains. A NYC-Chicago route wouldn't have the same geographic limitations. There's no elevation whatsoever from Chicago to Cleveland, and Cleveland to NYC is mostly rolling hills.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The long-distance routes are Amtrak's biggest financial burden. I think Amtrak probably needs to be split into two companies; one for the leisure routes, and one for actual functional routes, where timetables matter.
Or congress can just pay the entire subsidy without complaint since dozens of rural seats even belonging to Republicans would be furious to see service cut. Maybe even appropriate some funds to improving service and reliability.

Quote:
Acela has assigned seating. I wouldn't take it otherwise.
I am aware of this. Acela isn't the only service in the country.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:54 PM

A writer for International Railway Journal lays out and critiques Amtrak's Plan to remake itself.

https://www.railjournal.com/in_depth...m3BZ3OOH83bijY

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:47 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblock View Post
A writer for International Railway Journal lays out and critiques Amtrak's Plan to remake itself.

https://www.railjournal.com/in_depth...m3BZ3OOH83bijY
Why do European magazines need to publish an article critiquing Amtrak's future plans? How much acknowledge does the author knows about how American politics work in funding Amtrak? I doubt more than America magazines.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 7:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

New Acela trainsets

The new Acela trainset prototype image provided by Alstom, outside Alstom's Hornell, NY plant:

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 8:10 PM

Thank you for posting. Those are good American jobs created by investing in sustainable passenger rail and transit.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

Video of new Alstom Acela trainset being moved outside plant.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:29 PM

A couple months ago I finally experienced Acela, from Boston South Station to Providence. I periodically checked Amtrak's Track Your Train Map site and the highest speed I saw was 147 mph. I did not enjoy the ride, as it felt really bumpy. On my way back to Boston from Providence I took the regional train, which felt smoother, even though it wasn't much slower -- the highest speed I saw on that tracking site was 118 mph.

Hopefully the new Acela trains will be less bumpy than the current ones. The Shinkansen train I took in Japan last summer was pretty smooth, despite being much faster than Acela.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:27 PM

How Virginia’s $3.7 billion rail plan fits Amtrak’s long-term vision

How Virginia’s $3.7 billion rail plan fits Amtrak’s long-term vision

An Amtrak train on the Long Bridge crosses a trail that runs parallel to the George Washington Memorial Parkway in Virginia. (Michael S. Williamson/The Washington Post)

By Luz Lazo
Jan. 25, 2020
Washington Post

"Amtrak trains in Virginia carried nearly a million passengers last year, a record in the state’s decade-long rail program.

Virginia’s pledge to invest $3.7 billion in rail over the next decade promises even more growth for the passenger railroad. With new routes and faster and more efficient service, the number of Amtrak trains operating in Virginia is expected to double by 2030.

In fact, Virginia is turning into a model for intercity train service, observers and railroad officials say..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...53e_story.html

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:00 PM

Budget cuts for Amtrak

Since we had this discussion here recently about who supports Amtrak and who doesn't, these are just the facts.

Trump proposes cutting Amtrak funding, boosting infrastructure spending

"The proposal would cut Amtrak funds in fiscal 2021 by more than 50% over 2020 levels. It could cut funds to the congested northeast corridor from $700 million to $325 million and cut long-distance train funds from $1.3 billion to $611 million, then phase out support for Amtrak’s long-distance trains."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN20429Q

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 1:09 AM
Show me the blueprints

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation