HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
We're getting closer and closer.

I can add this....

San Bernardino Sun Nov. 21, 1939

It's certain now. The building has NOT survived.

Has the Fry Roofing Co. been mentioned? --perhaps it will lead us to additional photographs of the place. (pre-fire, of course)

e_r:

LA Times, November 21, 1939, via ProQuest via CSULB Library

No I will not make a joke about "Fry" Roofing Co.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 12:20 AM

Thanks, odinthor.

I meant to thank you earlier for answering my question about the expanse of flowers in front of the Ambassador Hotel.

And the article you found on Frisco Mari (head gardener at the hotel) was very interesting. My mind was blown by the flower statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

LA Times of 2/28/1971, via ProQuest, via CSULB Library

I searched everywhere for a photograph of Frisco Mari.. but came up empty.

I wonder if Mari's greenhouse (60 x 180 ft., or about the size of an Olympic sized pool ), shows up in any old aerials? ......*hint*..... *hoss*

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 13, 2019 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:48 AM

Here's Frisco.

There are some more of him in this magazine devoted to his Arabian horse breeding accomplishments.

issuu.com - Arabian Horse World

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:54 PM

A little more on Fry Roofing and Tom Mix in Compton. I found the following hidden away in the comments section of Cinema Treasure's page on the Fox Compton Theatre (text copied verbatim):
I’m reading Film Daily 1937. It says Compton 618 , Tower 1000, Symphony I have 832 can’t remember where I found it, Big Top 0. When thy had the Earthquake they move all the stores. They had all of the stores in a Big Tent That where the Big Top was at where Fry Roofing was also Tom Mix Wild West Show was there.
Although it doesn't mention Tom Mix, I did find this piece about Fry Roofing's building being used to house businesses damaged in the Long Beach earthquake. It's from The California Division of Mines and Geology, 1948-74 (PDF file):
Downtown Compton was demolished. One thing that was done very wisely by the local city authorities was to move all businesses into a huge open building of the Fry Roofing Company, a great big open building that wasn't damaged by the earthquake, because it was like a cardboard carton. You couldn't break it up; there was nothing to break up. They set up the businesses in stalls analagous to the position they had in downtown Compton, so you could do all your shopping and marketing in a kind of free market area in the Fry Roofing Building, You could go to the drug store, or the doctor, or the grocery store, right there.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 11:26 PM

Fry Roofing

I wonder was it the "former Rabbit Show Building"?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=51042

North of Rosecrans/ Alameda would put it in the general vicinity if the caption location is not quite accurate?
So first off Rabbit Shows, then Earthquake Shopping Mall, Tom Mix Circus for a time, and finally Fry Roofing
when it burned down?

It was certainly a big unit, 200 yards long. Here it is in 1938.

mil.library.ucsb.edu - axj-1938_30-45

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Sep 13, 2019 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
A little more on Fry Roofing and Tom Mix in Compton. I found the following hidden away in the comments section of Cinema Treasure's page on the Fox Compton Theatre (text copied verbatim):
I’m reading Film Daily 1937. It says Compton 618 , Tower 1000, Symphony I have 832 can’t remember where I found it, Big Top 0. When thy had the Earthquake they move all the stores. They had all of the stores in a Big Tent That where the Big Top was at where Fry Roofing was also Tom Mix Wild West Show was there.
Although it doesn't mention Tom Mix, I did find this piece about Fry Roofing's building being used to house businesses damaged in the Long Beach earthquake. It's from The California Division of Mines and Geology, 1948-74 (PDF file):
Downtown Compton was demolished. One thing that was done very wisely by the local city authorities was to move all businesses into a huge open building of the Fry Roofing Company, a great big open building that wasn't damaged by the earthquake, because it was like a cardboard carton. You couldn't break it up; there was nothing to break up. They set up the businesses in stalls analagous to the position they had in downtown Compton, so you could do all your shopping and marketing in a kind of free market area in the Fry Roofing Building, You could go to the drug store, or the doctor, or the grocery store, right there.
Here's the 1938 Sanborn from that area:
via LAPL

Here, the northern spur of Wilmington has been renamed Mona, I'm sure the southern portion has been renamed Willowbrook with the PE right of way running down Willowbrook. Just west of the Fry property we see Boland Ave.(hence the name for the tracts) which no longer exists and the pre-fire configuration of the Fry building. It's almost has the same footprint as a portion of the current building.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 9:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
My mother was about 12 years old in the 1933 earthquake. It was in the evening and she was outside playing on the sidewalk in Los Angeles. She told me the sidewalk was like waves on the ocean. But the worst of it was the several seconds of intense shaking at the end of it. That's what caused the most damage.

A brick building can sway with a natural quake motion but if another shake happens in the middle of the back & forth, you then have...catastrophic collapse.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
My mother was about 12 years old in the 1933 earthquake. It was in the evening and she was outside playing on the sidewalk in Los Angeles. She told me the sidewalk was like waves on the ocean. But the worst of it was the several seconds of intense shaking at the end of it. That's what caused the most damage.

A brick building can sway with a natural quake motion but if another shake happens in the middle of the back & forth, you then have...catastrophic collapse.
History of the 1933 Long Beach Quake has always focused on Long Beach.

I never knew about the destruction of Compton.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 6:27 PM

There was also earthquake damage in downtown Los Angeles.

old file / er

I don't know what street this is.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 7:21 PM

CBD

My mother lived in Los Angeles in 1933 and she was 13 years old. She lived at 342 East 59 Place; do you know the address where your mother lived? (I know this is a personal question, so if you don't want to tell me, it's fine)

My grandfather was so nervous that he piled everyone in the car and drove to Brea (Orange County) driving the whole way down on Imperial Highway!

Last edited by LA Kitty Kat; Sep 14, 2019 at 7:27 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kitty Kat View Post
CBD

My mother lived in Los Angeles in 1933 and she was 13 years old. She lived at 342 East 59 Place; do you know the address where your mother lived? (I know this is a personal question, so if you don't want to tell me, it's fine)

My grandfather was so nervous that he piled everyone in the car and drove to Brea (Orange County) driving the whole way down on Imperial Highway!
LA Kitty:

My mother lived in the Hollywood area near Sunset and Highland. Her mother was terminally sick with cancer at that time. She was a nurse herself and used to sterilize the needles over the stove flame to give herself morphine injections for pain. She passed away that same year. Her father sent my mom to live with the nuns and other orphan children at the Blessed Sacrament church home on Sunset. Its still there. Remember this was deep into the Great Depression era and there was little money. Her father could not afford the Catholic orphan home so he sent her to shirt-tail relatives in Kansas for high school. Those were hard times.

Kitty...your poor grandfather. Yes, quakes can be nerve wracking_I can understand.

Yes, ER, the whole Los Angeles County area was affected badly by the Long Beach Quake.

The Tehachapi Quake 7.3 Scale of July '52 caused part of our concrete backyard wall to collapse...San Gabriel house. My parents never talked about anything in the news. As a child, my life was totally protected from the
outside world.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 15, 2019 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 4:05 AM

This amateur snapshot, currently on eBay, shows Calle de los Negros in March, 1947.

[url="https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Racist-Photo-Calle-de-los-Negros-aka-Ni-er-Alley-Los-Angeles-Cal-Wow/153465346627?hash=item23bb3f5a43:g:Z3oAAOSwfp1bunNG"]eBay[/url

I always thought the little building that stands alone in front of the 'alley' (the alley is set back from the street) was a small gas station....but here we see gas pumps beneath the ASSOCIATED sign. If you look closely at my little building there are no pumps at all.

In fact, the small building appears to be an adobe. Does anyone know if it was ever a gas station?

This is how the little building appears on an old Sanborn map. As you can see, it's directly in front of the garage (perfect spot for a gas station).

ipinimg no date.

It's deceiving..the building appears to be a bit farther down the street in the 1947 snapshot. ... HELP!

Lastly, here is what is written on the reverse of the snapshot.

As you can see..the Chinese Massacre of 1871 is mentioned.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 15, 2019 at 4:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 5:58 AM

E.R. - I'll throw out a wild guess that it's a small lunch place, where you walk up and eat under the awning.

Ebay

BTW - Amazing what everyone found out about that Tom Mix Circus building in Compton. The building had a bunch of different lives before it burned down.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 9:51 AM

Quote:

This is how the little building appears on an old Sanborn map. As you can see, it's directly in front of the garage (perfect spot for a gas station).

ipinimg no date.

Your map snippet is from the 1921 Baist Real Estate Atlas.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 6:28 PM

Quote:

There was also earthquake damage in downtown Los Angeles.

old file / er

I don't know what street this is.

I could be mistaken, but I believe this wonderful photo looks south on Broadway from south of 1st Street.

I think that's the Charles H. Frost/Haig M. Prince building at the NW corner of 2nd and Broadway near the upper right corner of the image,
above the lead car's radiator cap.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
I could be mistaken, but I believe this wonderful photo looks south on Broadway from south of 1st Street.

I think that's the Charles H. Frost/Haig M. Prince building at the NW corner of 2nd and Broadway near the upper right corner of the image,
above the lead car's radiator cap.

Yes!

From http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal6.html

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:43 PM

Thanks Flyingwedge and odinthor. I appreciate it.

A mystery building on eBay

The seller's description for this rppc photograph is somewhat confusing.

For search purposes: Los Angeles, California, Washington Building, 1915 Fair, RPPC

As you can see, a 1915 fair is mentioned. The seller seems to be implying that the building is a 'State' building at one of the two large expositions held in California in 1915. (LINK to fairs below)

To me, the building appears to be an apartment building. (although there's only one mailbox).

eBay

And yet, the people seem more 'touristy' than merely inhabitants. (don't ask me why)

Here's what is written on the reverse.

Washington Bldg.
Los Angeles Fair.
Aug. 1915

Hmmm...I just realized it says "Los Angeles fair" :....so maybe it wasn't at one of the two large, well-known expositions.

Refresh my memory: Was 1915 the year Los Angeles held that lesser-known exposition? (I always forget about this one)

Anyhoo...back to my APARTMENT theory.

So far I have found two Washington Apartments in Los Angeles.

In the 1920 city directory.

lapl

And the 1928 city directory.

lapl

There might be a street number above the entrance of the building..but it's impossible to make out.

DETAIL

What to you noirishers think....#1 Is this an apartment building?....or #2 'Washington State' building at one of the fairs?.................

LINKS

1915:... Panama - California Exposition, SAN DIEGO.....HERE.

1915:... Panama - Pacific International Exposition, SAN FRANCISCO.....HERE.

update:

OK folks, I just looked up the more elusive Los Angeles Fair...and, regrettably, I proved my point.

I KNOW we have seen a few images of the Los Angeles Exposition on NLA...but at the moment I can't find it.
(was it down in San Pedro?).......(was it held in 1915?)
I'll eventually find it..but right now I'm going to post this.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 16, 2019 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 2:48 AM

Quote:

A mystery building on eBay

The seller's description for this rppc photograph is somewhat confusing.

For search purposes: Los Angeles, California, Washington Building, 1915 Fair, RPPC

The ebay RPPC certainly looks like it could show the front of an apartment building.

But it turns out to be the Washington State Building at the 1915 San Diego Exposition:

San Diego History Center

There is a list of photos from the exposition here.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 11:14 PM

Is this new to the thread?

LA Times 6/16/1922 via ProQuest via CSULB Library

odinthor collection, image acquired today!

LA Times 6/29/1924 via ProQuest via CSULB Library

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 11:21 PM

I don't recall an Al Levy's Cafe on Hollywood Blvd., odinthor.

MartinTurnbull asked the same question when he noticed a reflection in the windows at Sardi's, HERE
With your postcard you answered his question, odinthor!

As most of you know:
The most famous location was on Vine.

Al Levy's Tavern, 1627 N. Vine St.

water and power

Pre-dating Al Levy's Tavern on Vine was Al Levy's Grill downtown at 617 South Spring Street

LAPL

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 17, 2019 at 12:03 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos