HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I think Meredith must be an attention whore, just trying to get press. Why in the world would you buy a many-multi-million dollar piece of equipment, then let it sit around for 10-20 years (or much more) requiring maintenance and depreciating all the time? Then by the time a "subway" is actually approved, technology has moved on and the new boring machines are much better and/or cheaper.
Interesting story - Seattle's boring machine for hwy 99 is stuck and undergoing a massive project to recover it:

Video Link

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...acranexml.html

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 6:29 PM

Texas Monthly
Elon Musk Wants to Build His Hyperloop Test Track in Texas
http://www.texasmonthly.com/daily-po...st-track-texas

Quote:
“In order to kind of help things along, we’re going to create a Hyperloop test track,” Musk told Texas Tribune CEO and Editor-in-Chief Evan Smith during an interview at the Texas Transportation Forum, an annual conference hosted by the Texas Department of Transportation. “Something that’s maybe on the order of a five-mile loop.” […]

During Thursday’s interview, Musk said the facility would be privately funded and not require the kind of incentives that his private space firm, SpaceX, received to develop a test facility in Texas.

“We’re not asking for any money from the state,” Musk said.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Have you been to San Francisco? The cut and cap portion their is more hilly than anything in Austin.
Ahem, I completely agree with you regarding SF's cut and cap tunnel, but I do believe you meant to say that "the cut and cap portion there is more hilly than anything in Austin." Maybe you were just testing to see whether anybody would notice?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 12:03 AM

It appears that shea and ekhardt have managed to delay Texas45...Obviously the voters have no say on this. They voted for it but sos controls this part of the Austin area.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 2:35 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Okay, found one (not sure if this is the one I saw before).

http:/to/www.austintexas.gov/departm...140522-reg.htm

The "Project Connect Central Corridor Update." (direct link doesn't seem to work).

Page 30.

It has a profile of the tunnel options they looked at. They don't go into if they were planning cut and cover or not (presumably not with the section under the lake?). But it appears that once you get up to 17th, it's about at the same altitude as Cesar Chavez.
Agenda Item #60 of 79 on your link, it took me a while to find it. While that drawing shows the tunnel options, it didn't provide the depth in measurable units. Considering all the tunneling options included going under the lake, I'm certain they didn't consider cut and cover there.

Another interesting data point was projected ridership, with the much cheaper BRT almost the same as light rail over the same alignment.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Ahem, I completely agree with you regarding SF's cut and cap tunnel, but I do believe you meant to say that "the cut and cap portion there is more hilly than anything in Austin." Maybe you were just testing to see whether anybody would notice?
there*

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Another interesting data point was projected ridership, with the much cheaper BRT almost the same as light rail over the same alignment.
If I recall, the BRT being measured there wasn't really "much cheaper". To get those ridership numbers, it was full gold-class BRT (fully dedicated busway lanes, boarding infrastructure at stations, etc.) with capital costs 50-60% of rail and similar operating costs (to maintain 4 minute headways).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 10:37 PM

Did anyone realize that the Mopac Toll lane will only have two ways on and two ways off of the 11mi length. The on/offs are Parmer Ln, Far West, Caesar Chavez. That is not much.

I am not sure how helpful that is unless you do the whole thing.

and I remember they said CapMetro is going to use it for the Express Buses? But those buses from 183 go down and get off at 38th so they will not use the express lane unless their is a new or altered route. Anyone have info on that?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin