HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 4:21 PM
Ham-burgher

Two-way where? More Hamilton one-way streets will be converted to bidirectional traffic
Main and King streets are certainly the biggest, but not the only two-way conversion projects being planned in the lower city.

Matthew Van Dongen
The Hamilton Spectator
Thursday, December 28, 2023

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...3d9a65399.html

Two-way traffic is making a big comeback in Hamilton's lower city thanks in large part to the looming redesign of parallel Main and King streets.

Council heard plans for a $26-million overhaul of Main Street between Dundurn Street and the Delta earlier this month and urged transportation staff to come up with a fast-tracked schedule, ideally within two years.

King Street through the core, meanwhile, will be converted to bidirectional traffic by default once a planned $3.4-billion light rail transit line is built, although that could easily take five years.

But lost in the noise of those massive, pricey projects are tentative proposals to bring back bidirectional car traffic on several other important lower city streets for the first time since the 1950s.

Earlier in December, the city unveiled potential two-way projects between next year and 2029, including parts of Sherman Avenue and the finishing touches on critical corridors like Queen and Wilson streets.

Summary:
Main Street - Dundurn to the Delta; staff to come up with a fast-tracked schedule ideally finishing within two years.

King Street - conversion by default due to LRT, though that could take five years.

Hunter and Bay Streets - reconfirmed that they'll remain one-way.

Queen Street - conversion between King and Barton, probably not before 2029.

Wilson Street - Victoria to Sherman could be done by the end of 2024.

Sherman Avenue - plan is two-way between Burlington St. and Wilson, but south portion likely first with railway crossing approvals expected to slow change at the north end. Work could start in 2024 but may extend into 2026.

Victoria Avenue - Ferrie to Barton requires rail crossing approvals and resolving concerns related to the General Hospital; timeline and ultimate design uncertain. South of Barton to remain one-way with a cycle track to maintain paired-status with Wellington.

Birch Avenue - Burlington to Barton will include a multi-use path; work waits on outcome of negotiations re: overhead rail bridge construction.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 6:21 PM
Hammer'd

We converted almost every street in the lower city to one-way traffic over night half a century ago but now it takes 2 years to convert one of those streets back to two-way on a "fast tracked schedule". All of this should have been done years ago.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 30, 2023, 2:13 AM
Ham-burgher

I agree it should have been done sooner. But politics and decision-processes were different in the past, and there's also a more nuanced understanding (among some) about the linkages between transportation and land-use and the value of incremental change.

Imagine the outcry (and therefore councillor opposition) today if city staff had proposed a widespread and quick shift in the transportation network like what happened in the mid-1950s?

During family gatherings in the past month I've overheard conversations among 'the elders' about how they cannot understand the need to convert the one-ways mainly because they make it easy to get around the city. But these people aren't transit users, and they don't shop or do business at places along the one-ways; those streets are just a means to travel across town or get from one car-focused place to another. When I've explained my view I'm met with silence, but probably because they think I don't get it... despite my urban geography background. I also have friends my age though (late 40s, early 50s) who think the same thing, but live in very suburban areas where getting in and out of Costco and the commuter traffic on the QEW and 403 are their major concerns when it comes to transportation. Yet they feel the need to bitch about what's happening in the central city, even though they rarely (if ever) go there.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 11:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

New accelerated timeline for two-way Main Street conversion
Goal of $26.5-million project is to 'make life better for more people'

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...9a9dfcb43.html

City politicians have backed a plan to speed up a $26.5-million effort to convert Main Street to two-way traffic with the goal of making the crash-prone thoroughfare safer.

The revised schedule cuts about 17 months from an initial five-year outlook with construction now expected to wrap up in late 2027 or early 2028.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 5:05 PM

Excited to see it accelerated. Main Street probably carries higher vehicle volumes than any other street in the city, or is at least close to taking that number, so having it resurfaced and cleaned up will not only help the downtown feel a lot more hospitable but also really improve the median driving experience in this city in terms of road quality.

With the City also resurfacing two other stretches of road which are among the busiest in the city in the next two or three years.. (Upper Wentworth next to Limeridge and Golf Links Rd next to Meadowlands), it'll be nice.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 9:53 PM
Ham-burgher

I imagine we'll hear much angst about Main, but improving the condition of the street alone will be welcome.

And having that additional westbound lane in the network will really help during LRT construction. Central sections of Cannon are quite slow during peak periods.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure