HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 12:06 AM

^^ That is EXCELLENT. I'm so glad that businesses are getting these kinds of loans. Though I do believe it might be more cost effective to give four businesses each $100,000 loans -- I'm sure $100,000 can go a long way for some of these places. Maybe some signage improvements, trash cleanup, painting, advertising....

I really wish that the CRA or some other quasi-governmental entity would do some sidewalk improvements for Chinatown. The sidewalks are small, full of garbage/trash/gum/cracks. Maybe turn Hill(?) (Broadway? Spring? I don't know which street is the main one) into a pedestrian-only boulevard. They definitely need more (cleaner) street furniture.

The Little Joe's parking lot needs that Blossom Plaza development started ASAP! That site, I think, does more to detract from Chinatown's aesthetics and tourist quality than any other site in the district. The City should definitely focus on all the ethnic districts -- Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Koreatown, Thai Town, Little Armenia, Little Ethiopia, El Pueblo -- to make them more ped-friendly, tourist-friendly (people coming to LA expect to see multiculturalism; we should give them all we've got) and cleaner/safer.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 12:13 AM
homemoaner

I know last year or the year before there were at least two storefront improvement projects in Echo Park along Sunset Blvd and Washington Blvd. east of La Brea. The latter I believe was a departing pet project from Nate Holden's office.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2006, 1:01 PM

LA Times, Jan 15, 2006

RED RIDE IN THE ’HOOD: The Holly Trolley, which made its debut this
weekend, picks up and drops off clubgoers. (Béatrice de Géa / LAT)

Doing the Hollywood Shuttle

Celebrities and other clubgoers are coming back as the area is reborn.
To handle the heavier traffic, Holly Trolleys are introduced.

By David Pierson, Times Staff Writer

It was nearly 1 a.m. Saturday, but Jong Won Kim and his three buddies were far from done partying when they jumped aboard the Holly Trolley, Hollywood's improbable mass transit system for club hoppers that debuted this weekend. Hearing the saxophone solo of Mel Waiters' "Hole in the Wall" blast over the trolley's speakers, the 24-year-old Portland, Ore., native clenched his fists and said: "This rocks!"

Inspired by an undetermined number of whiskey and cola drinks, Kim and his friends debated taking a food break or immediately hitting another nightclub as the trolley (really a bus made to look like an old street car) glided past the flashing neon and velvet rope lines of the new Hollywood Boulevard. "Coming from Oregon, Hollywood had a reputation for being ghetto," said Kim, who moved to L.A. a year ago. "It actually has a different persona. I love it."

The Holly Trolley is just the latest sign of Hollywood Boulevard's transformation into a nightclub district that rivals — and by some measures surpasses — the famed Sunset Strip a few miles to the west. It's been an unlikely comeback. A decade ago the once-bustling boulevard was still largely a symbol of urban blight in Los Angeles. There were jewels like the Pantages and El Capitan theaters, but subway construction had crumbled parts of the Hollywood Walk of Fame and a crime wave was keeping many away — save out-of-town tourists — especially at night.

But what started as a few small clubs luring young urban adventurers has burgeoned into a strip of about 50 nightclubs and bars stretching from Vine Street to La Brea Avenue that throb with dance music. Some are the size of warehouses and pack in hundreds at a time; others are ultra-exclusive, with customers willing to pay $1,100 for a bottle of fine vodka and a reserved booth to sit in. Come sundown on weekends, patrons — mostly twentysomethings, some from far-flung suburbs looking for a night in the big city — converge on the strip.

Hollywood's new nightlife is also marking the return of regular celebrity sightings along the boulevard for the first time in a generation — especially young stars whose late-night travails end up on the pages of US and People magazines. "If you said five years ago that Paris Hilton was going to get into a car accident in Hollywood, no one would have believed you, because Paris Hilton wouldn't have been in Hollywood," said City Councilman Eric Garcetti, referring to a recent incident that made tabloid headlines. But this new popularity has caused near-gridlock across Hollywood — it can take more than half an hour to travel just a few blocks.

The Holly Trolley is designed to reduce congestion and make it easier for clubbers to get around. The trolley picks up clubgoers and barhoppers at a handful of parking structures, one being the Cinerama Dome/Arclight. A $1 token grants unlimited access between 8 p.m. and 4 a.m.

"The infrastructure has been stretched in Hollywood," Garcetti said. "People are paying $10, $20 and $50 for valet. The last thing we wanted to do was strangle success. Here, the city can step in and solve a transportation problem and protect jobs. Government doesn't have to be boring." Indeed, the city and the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce are trying to give the trolleys a club feel. Each is manned by an "ambience director," a professional nightclub doorman dressed in a dark suit and tie and trained to keep the peace. "Whatever they want to call me, I don't care, as long as it's not a bad name," said Sean Scott, 27, whose lazy smile lured a handful of revelers aboard.

Two of the three 55-passenger trolleys are on the road at any one time. It will cost about $600,000 a year to keep them operating. The cost will be split between the Community Redevelopment Agency and local businesses, especially nightclubs. The trolleys' sound system on the inaugural weekend was blasting tracks from Public Enemy and the Ying Yang Twins, to name a few. But soon, dance clubs along the boulevard will provide recordings mixed by their resident DJs. Officials also plan to add breathalyzer tests to encourage people who have drunk too much to wait before getting in their cars.

While business owners and city officials have cheered the new Hollywood, some longtime residents complain about the cacophony of sirens, screaming, shouting and screeching that comes with the all-night partying. And some critics doubt the trolley system will do much to change that. "People will drive around and around the block for 30 minutes to avoid walking five minutes," said Robert Nudelman, a director of the preservation group Hollywood Heritage.

Some of the scene's stalwarts include Avalon, Cinespace, LAX, Level 3 and Ivar, clubs with expansive dance floors, no shortage of mannequin-esque patrons and swank decors. Getting in can be as challenging as finding an empty parking space.

Three acting students from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts had no such difficulties getting past the velvet ropes Saturday morning. Alicia Lagam, a native of Ireland, Tricia Hoffman from New Orleans and Andrea Bailey from Atlanta moved to L.A. a year and a half ago for their studies. The girlfriends embraced Hollywood's nightlife almost instantly. "We just have to stand outside and look pretty" to get in, said Lagam, who, like her friends, is 21.

About 1 a.m., the women abandoned Basque at Hollywood and Vine, where they drank several rounds of cranberry and vodka cocktails donated by a bevy of young men. Wearing denim miniskirts, cowboy boots, high heels and tank tops in the brisk evening, they got more than their share of attention. On the itinerary that night were clubs Avalon, Cabana, White Lotus and Forbidden City. They said they were interested in trying the trolley. "We would definitely use it," Lagam said. "We had to get into a stranger's car to get around. It's dangerous."

But doesn't Hollywood need to be a little dangerous to keep its edge? That question remained in the back of the minds of Hollywood officials as they rolled out the trolley. Elizabeth Peterson, an urban planner and a vice president of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, said Hollywood would inevitably lose some of its rawness with its rising popularity. But for now the district's draw shows no signs of waning, with the refurbished Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel drawing the celebrity crowd and the chic W Hotel set to anchor a huge new complex at Hollywood and Vine. Hollywood Boulevard boasts more clubs than the Sunset Strip, which is home to nightspots such as the House of Blues, the Viper Room and the Key Club.

Peterson believes the boulevard can stay hip if the clubs continue to evolve. "Clubs are going to try different things and be sophisticated," she said. "By booking the right music, they can be very cutting edge."

But some who flocked to Hollywood during the early days feel the district is played out. Alexis Rivera, owner of the music promotion company Echo Park Records, said he's turned off by the wave of young people who drive in from the suburbs for a night of partying. "I once saw these two kids standing in line, both holding matching pink Juicy Couture Sidekicks [cellphones] and checking their Myspace accounts," said Rivera, 27. "I feel like an old fart there."

The mood on Hollywood Boulevard was certainly youthful when the last call for drinks came Saturday morning. The trolley carrying Kim and his friends had a beer-on-the-floor kind of musk. But it was masked by the scent of sizzling bacon-wrapped hot dogs from sidewalk vendors. Finally, Kim stood and waited for his friend to pull the cord to sound the trolley's bell. The trolley stopped in front of Mel's Drive-In on Highland Avenue.

"Time for some breakfast," Kim said. "Perfect way to end the night."

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 4:44 AM

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 4:52 AM
Ridin' The Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva
Don't beat around anymore, if you're right, let me see some objective evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch
Where's yours?
Citywatch, you are the one making the assertions that L.A. has always had a bad reputation. Therefore, it is for you to give evidence, not the person who disagrees with you!

I could easily find five people who dislike NYC. Such an argument is meaningless. If you have an opinion, say its your own, don't pussy around and couch it in 'everybody else thinks'.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 11:19 PM

This debate has turned mighty interesting as I was gone over winter break.

Citywatch: My girlfriend and I had quite an interesting conversation with a Frenchman on the Red Line last night. He was asking me how long it was going to take to get to where his friend was going to pick him up in Long Beach (we were at Hollywood/Highland). I told him roughly an hour, perhaps more. He went on to say that he thought LA was fabulous. Never did he mention powerlines, outdated bungalows, or anything else of the sort. In fact he said LA was beautiful. But guess what he DID mention? You know what he found "strange"? "your country es so straange...all the time you wait. Wait at stop light, wait in traffic, an hour for metro, but you have so many wonderful things to do here...es so biig!"

Unlike you I won't use this one positive opinion about LA's asthetics and lack of real amenities to prove my point....but it is some food for thought. Do tourists have a difficult time here because it's often a bitch getting from point A to B and there aren't enough dense areas or is it because they're grossed out by powerlines and parking lots? I think it's pretty easy to figure out especially when you consider what people who actually LIVE here complain about: traffic, traffic, traffic, lack of amenities. Not asthetics. Which LA isn't lacking in by any means, 1950's street photos and Canoga Park houses aside.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTheAngelino
I think it's pretty easy to figure out especially when you consider what people who actually LIVE here complain about: traffic, traffic, traffic, lack of amenities. Not asthetics. Which LA isn't lacking in by any means, 1950's street photos and Canoga Park houses aside.
Believe me, I wish you were right. But keep in mind the city was routinely snubbed a long time ago, way before traffic became a big problem.

Look at what this guy is dealing with. And things like this or this go far beyond the issue of jammed fwys & roads.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 1:10 AM

^ It is important to bring up that Los Angeles is decentralized and obviously different from the higher ranked cities like DOWNTOWN Chicago that have a FOCAL POINT to judge from--usually their beautiful DOWNTOWN area.

In LA, the people voting for these surveys could be living ANYWHERE from Canoga Park or Azusa or Torrance or Van Nuys! We have NO IDEA. When asked a question like "Do you think LA is beautiful or not?" Most people either think of the area they live in or have a general gut feeling usually dominated by images of being stuck........in traffic. Asking a question like that for Angelenos is dubious at best. And it's no different for visitors/tourist as they usually have no reference point to relate to (disorientation!), so they usually remember a "grittier Hollywood" (because that's what they usually come for is to see Hollywood, so it'll be more salient in their minds) and industrial swaths of land surrounding endless freeways of nothing but concrete.

HOWEVER there is hope! Once Downtown LA is THRIVING and the cultural/entertainment/residential/shopping weight starts to shift in Downtown's favor, LA will have a much different feeling from its ambiguous past. Tourists from out of state (and even from within our own county) and locals will be able to wrap their arms around LA and be PROUD of our thriving Downtown. And why not? The architecture in Downtown is impressive so impressions will inevitably be changed for the better (City Hall, Cathedral, Disney Hall, Library Tower, 777 Tower, Beaux-Arts Historic Core stock like Eastern Columbia and Bradbury/Douglas Building, etc.)

So instead of focusing on powerlines, we should be focusing on making beautiful Downtown LA the true center of this metropolis! That's how you fix it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 1:39 AM
Urbanity Refined

Still beating your head against that same old brick wall I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch
[/b]Believe me, I wish you were right. But keep in mind the city was routinely snubbed a long time ago, way before traffic became a big problem.

Look at what this guy is dealing with. And things like this or this go far beyond the issue of jammed fwys & roads.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty
When asked a question like "Do you think LA is beautiful or not?" Most people either think of the area they live in or have a general gut feeling usually dominated by images of being stuck........in traffic.
Again, traffic jams don't help ppl's impression of things, but this town never has been known for lots of community pride, even when fwys were a lot more free moving than they are today, or barely existed around the time Raymond Chandler lived here.

Hillel Aron sums it up with a few key quotes here.

Quote:
But Britannica's entry is emblematic of how our country views Los Angeles. Raymond Chandler, considered by some the quintessential LA writer, said Los Angeles has "no more personality than a paper cup." In short, why do people hate us so much?

Insult Los Angeles to an Angelino, and you'll most likely get a shrug, or even an agreement.

Roman Polanski once said, "There's no more beautiful city in the world, provided it's seen by night and at a distance."

Los Angeles is not as beautiful as San Francisco, and will never be as iconic as New York

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 2:28 AM

Quote:
and industrial swaths of land surrounding endless freeways of nothing but concrete.
Makes me think of a comment embedded in an article I posted in the DTLA thread in the city compilations forum:

Quote:
London transplant, writer:
“Where’s the city? It took me forever to realize that this disgusting concrete sprawl actually was the city.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 2:38 AM

Another thing is, being that LA is very autocentric, most people spend most of their time in cars when going from point A to B. This makes a HUGE impact on the feeling a person gets when experiencing a city.

There is NO WHERE else I can think of besides Downtown LA, where you can actually WALK in such a LARGE area continuously. Most places in Southern California are LINEAR commercial zones with a few adjoining streets to stray from like Colorado Blvd. and 3rd St. Promenade have a few other streets to shop and eat on, but mainly one street. Only in Downtown LA is the playground SO LARGE that you can walk anywhere and the potential for a Manhattan-SF-Chicago experience is very likely in the future.

Therefore, up until now, the pedestrians' experience has been limited to a small, confined area.

My POINT IS: being in a car driving through an urban area is NOT the same as walking through an urban area. Once pedestrians become "king" in Downtown LA, so will their experiences of LA because then you SEE and FEEL the activity.

Get my drift?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 2:45 AM
Urbanity Refined

Talking

^ Well Said LAB. Glad to see that you see the glass as half full as opposed to Half empty.

If Citywatch was Grand Wizard of L.A., he would burn it to the ground and start all over again. Hey CityWatch! Navin's job as mayor of N.O. will be available soon after his ignorant remark yesterday. Katrina has already done the job of obliterating half the City - think of running and put your money where your mouth is?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Another thing is, being that LA is very autocentric, most people spend most of their time in cars when going from point A to B.
I know when I've been stuck in traffic on Wilshire Blvd even in Beverly Hills, that hood too loses some of its appeal. So think of what things are like when you're driving through jammed roads & at the same time you're dealing with the "rarely scenic" parts of town, referred to by a writer for the LA Times:

Quote:
Getting from one place to the next is rarely scenic and often arduous, especially during rush hour, which it seems to be most of the time.

When ppl diss LA, that bothers me mainly if we're living in denial & don't make a big effort to improve things. It really means that organizations like your DCBID are even more important than most ppl realize, or certainly waaaaay more important than NIMBYite homeowner groups, which often are perfectly happy with the status quo, or don't want to change anything, or care about little except good traffic flow.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 3:13 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciuncula, Alta California
A good part of the mystique of LA is the criticism said about it. It along with NYC and maybe Miami are all in the same glass boat. People watch the fantasy world of Los Angeles via the movies, literature and news. Never having been here, they perceive the city like a bad spot in their own backyard.

Criticism of the City has never been pariah as it is in most other places. Some towns refuse to accept any criticism at all, get deeply offended and angry. I don't think that is a good attribute.

For nearly 150 years Los Angeles has been the envy of growth advocates everywhere. They hate us, probably rightly so. But growth brings problems. If we ever stop listening to criticism, or putting it out, we are doomed.

Meanwhile we are a city undergoing constant metamorphosis. If you don't like us now, stick around a while.

Vote for RON PAUL, por favor.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Another thing is, being that LA is very autocentric, most people spend most of their time in cars when going from point A to B. This makes a HUGE impact on the feeling a person gets when experiencing a city.

There is NO WHERE else I can think of besides Downtown LA, where you can actually WALK in such a LARGE area continuously. Most places in Southern California are LINEAR commercial zones with a few adjoining streets to stray from like Colorado Blvd. and 3rd St. Promenade have a few other streets to shop and eat on, but mainly one street. Only in Downtown LA is the playground SO LARGE that you can walk anywhere and the potential for a Manhattan-SF-Chicago experience is very likely in the future.

Therefore, up until now, the pedestrians' experience has been limited to a small, confined area.

My POINT IS: being in a car driving through an urban area is NOT the same as walking through an urban area. Once pedestrians become "king" in Downtown LA, so will their experiences of LA because then you SEE and FEEL the activity.

Get my drift?
I get your drift. The LA Area is turning into a drive to and walk world. Old town Pasedena, 3 rd Street, Hollywood blvd, Glendale, Long Beach, Westwood and the main one DTLA. Now if we can only get lite rail to all of these places.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 6:59 PM
homemoaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehrler

Criticism of the City has never been pariah as it is in most other places. Some towns refuse to accept any criticism at all, get deeply offended and angry. I don't think that is a good attribute.
True. That's one of the symptoms of provincialism.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 7:33 PM

I just saw the following blog & thought of this thread.

Quote:
One of the mysteries of Los Angeles is how a city that produces so many films and stories about the entire world, indeed the universe, and creates a celluloid reality of such manifold visual imagination and wonder......is so aesthetically ugly.
Quote:
The other is Angelenos themselves, who think aesthetics rank below making money, eating and maintaining sanity in our inert traffic.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2006, 8:39 PM

If we had more of this, a pic from chicago3rd several wks ago in the city photos forum:

...& alot less of this, 2 recent pics from lowcostgeography in his tour of the beach areas:

...I bet ppl's attitudes towards the city would start to change.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2006, 12:08 AM

Los Angeles Business from bizjournals - 10:47 AM PST Friday
Hicks Holdings, Gatehouse Capital to develop residential real estate projects

Hick Holdings L.L.C. has teamed up with Gatehouse Capital Corp., a real estate investment firm based in Dallas, to form a hotel development joint venture that has targeted Los Angeles as the site of its first project.

Dallas-based Hicks and Gatehouse will invest in real estate projects in Texas, California and other regions, beginning with a project in Los Angeles -- the W Hollywood Hotel & Residences. That project will be made up of a 300-room W Hotel, 150 units of W Residences, 40,000 square feet of street-level retail and a transit plaza. The development also will include a spa, upscale restaurant, bar and club and a workout facility.

http://www.gatehousecapital.com/Hollywood.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West