HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 1:38 PM

Well, the super suburban drive-through Chick-Fil-A at 767 Ponce filed for a planning permit.

Edit: this is in the Beltline overlay. The city has had a decade to get this right. How on earth is a drive-through allowed here?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Well, the super suburban drive-through Chick-Fil-A at 767 Ponce filed for a planning permit.

Edit: this is in the Beltline overlay. The city has had a decade to get this right. How on earth is a drive-through allowed here?
Without drive-thru it would not be profitable. This area cannot support dine in only. I’m am still surprised why we are still debating this topic. Ponce is a major road that connects Decatur to Downtown. Eventually you may see a Kiosk/Container style concept pop up somewhere along the belt line.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
Without drive-thru it would not be profitable. This area cannot support dine in only. I’m am still surprised why we are still debating this topic. Ponce is a major road that connects Decatur to Downtown. Eventually you may see a Kiosk/Container style concept pop up somewhere along the belt line.
Then put it outside the Beltline Overlay. Then entire city doesn't need to cater to drive throughs. Sorry, but if people want a Chick Fil A drive through every three blocks then buy a house in Canton.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Then put it outside the Beltline Overlay. Then entire city doesn't need to cater to drive throughs. Sorry, but if people want a Chick Fil A drive through every three blocks then buy a house in Canton.
Exactly. Drive-throughs have zero place in the core of the city or the beltline overlay. You literally have to drive to them anyway, so put them further out.

Also, there are several urban format Chick-fil-As in Atlanta that do great business without a drive-through.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post

Unfortunately, they are still somewhat allowed per the Beltline Overlay Zoning:

Quote:
5.Drive-through service windows, drive-in facilities and associated queuing areas shall not be located between a building and the street, unless otherwise prohibited by the underlying zoning. Such facilities shall also be limited to two drive-through or drive-in facilities and two queuing lanes.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:25 PM

I believe this is a second Chic-Fil-A.

The first one is at 689 Boulevard, the intersection of Ponce and Boulevard.

This one is about half mile east of Boulevard at 767 Ponce. This site is near Claremont Lounge right next to Dugan's.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:55 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post

This one is about half mile east of Boulevard at 767 Ponce. This site is near Claremont Lounge right next to Dugan's.
Two thumbs way down to have two big old drive through Chick Fil A restaurants .4 miles from each other in this area

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post

The first one was detested not just for the suburban design but the mess it would have caused at the intersection of Boulevard & Ponce.

Rather than a second location, this is likely a reincarnation of the first on a larger lot more suitable for their suburban land-use layouts (it is the Dugan's lot). Technically, they don't need the blessing of the Beltline DRC to proceed, it's only an up/down recommendation. This means they probably think they have the ability to get this through without DRC support or that by solving the ingress/egress traffic concerns the project has the support to move forward on this lot.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 9:42 PM

Barriers are set up around the site of Tech Square Phase III, so demolition must be about to start. It actually feels like a bit of a loss since they're only making a parking lot out of it. Those empty buildings aren't much to look at, but they're better than a gravel pit. Hopefully the real construction starts within a year or two.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Barriers are set up around the site of Tech Square Phase III, so demolition must be about to start. It actually feels like a bit of a loss since they're only making a parking lot out of it. Those empty buildings aren't much to look at, but they're better than a gravel pit. Hopefully the real construction starts within a year or two.
I've often wondered where's the "square" in Tech Square? This area is in need of a public space for gatherings, and this block would have made an excellent park to give a break from the hyper-development around it like Bryant Park in NYC.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 12:24 PM

These threads have become worse than the local news! Can we have 1 thread labeled Atlanta Development NEWS ONLY NO OPINIONS ALLOWED! All the rest of the threads can stay Dr Phil or The View episodes….

Exhausting!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
These threads have become worse than the local news! Can we have 1 thread labeled Atlanta Development NEWS ONLY NO OPINIONS ALLOWED! All the rest of the threads can stay Dr Phil or The View episodes….

Exhausting!
LOL, AMEN, I want to see pics and renderings, etc...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post

Exhausting!
I challenge anyone of you to go 1 day (all day) without uttering an OPINION. Just state the facts and keep it moving? Hell, even our facts are often times misinformation and half-truths mixed in with bullshit.

What would the world be like if there were no opinions allowed?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
I've often wondered where's the "square" in Tech Square? This area is in need of a public space for gatherings, and this block would have made an excellent park to give a break from the hyper-development around it like Bryant Park in NYC.

These are the squares I think about when thinking about it.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
These are the squares I think about when thinking about it.
I was about to say the same. Another one is also planned for Phase III, similar to the one between Spring and Willians.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
We've already discussed the squares at Tech Square:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserbuckhead View Post
What exactly are you looking for from Biltmore?

Tech Square has several "squares". There's the one in front of the business school on West Peachtree. One inside the business school building. There's another inside the hotel/behind waffle house. Then there's the square across from Waffle House. Finally, there's the fifth ave plaza on the bridge. Not sure how much more open space the area needs.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserbuckhead View Post
We've already discussed the squares at Tech Square:
Sorry, I just would like to see a grand public space the size of a city block in a prominent location similar to squares you see in European cities. Atlanta doesn't do urban design on a grand scale, so I'll continue to expect the minimum. Carry on.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I just would like to see a grand public space the size of a city block in a prominent location similar to squares you see in European cities. Atlanta doesn't do urban design on a grand scale, so I'll continue to expect the minimum. Carry on.
There's that big arch at Atlantic Station with the long park.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
There's that big arch at Atlantic Station with the long park.
Centennial Olympic park I guess is not in a prominent location. Woodruff park and buckhead village park are obviously too small… piedmont park? Nah…

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 5:36 AM

Here's a shot of construction of the Winship Cancer Institute at Emory Midtown on Sept. 21. The viewpoint is from the 19th floor of the hospital.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta