HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:03 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
I heard a new building tower was built in downtown area to refresh the skyline, but I never expected such a modern high-rise condo building, what a misfit.
Yes, I agree. I liked the building better before when it was that all black office tower. Either way though, Asheville just oozes charm... although I might argue that in my opinion Wilmington gives it a run for it's money for the title of "best city in NC."

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 1:48 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
I heard a new building tower was built in downtown area to refresh the skyline, but I never expected such a modern high-rise condo building, what a misfit.
Well, it started out as an international-style office tower of brown metal and black glass. Now it's a hotel and condo tower with some restaurants and shopping at the base...

...And I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it a misfit. They tried, and with a fair amount of success, to add some Art Deco styling to the building, and the materials they used were good. It's far from the most offensive recladding I've seen. Probably could have been better, sure, but the end result is actually quite nice.

The bigger problem with it, mind you, is the way that building is now a literal physical monument to the sort of gentrification and relentless accommodation of rich tourists and richer second homeowners that has pretty much killed off Asheville's soul by this point. Anyone, like me, who has lived here since the 90's and before, fondly remembers how Asheville used to be weird, sinister, and grubby -- the kind of place where, if magic was real, it would be real here. That's gone now. Thad and Bootsie ordered their servants to clean it all up.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:27 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
The bigger problem with it, mind you, is the way that building is now a literal physical monument to the sort of gentrification and relentless accommodation of rich tourists and richer second homeowners that has pretty much killed off Asheville's soul by this point.
I agree 100%. I was in Asheville this past weekend and although the building is stunning inside, it does not feel like something that belongs in the city. Same with the AC Hotel and the Sierra Nevada Brewery...all are nice but feel corporate and very 'un-Asheville'. To me, the Grand Bohemian strikes the right balance between upscale and an Asheville vibe. Even the guy selling jams outside the Early Girl Café lamented the number of "New York City Hotels" (said in the finest of southern accents) plunked down in the city. I highly recommend his mixed berry jam.

The soul is not completely lost, I got to see Spoon Lady and the Tater Boys play near the square. Google it...they're quite good. There are also still plenty of independent shops and restaurants that continue to make the city a very unique and worthwhile destination.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:48 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
I agree 100%. I was in Asheville this past weekend and although the building is stunning inside, it does not feel like something that belongs in the city. Same with the AC Hotel and the Sierra Nevada Brewery...all are nice but feel corporate and very 'un-Asheville'. To me, the Grand Bohemian strikes the right balance between upscale and an Asheville vibe. Even the guy selling jams outside the Early Girl Café lamented the number of "New York City Hotels" (said in the finest of southern accents) plunked down in the city. I highly recommend his mixed berry jam.
Sierra Nevada or New Belgium? Sierra Nevada is out in Mills River, sending its steampunk vibes out into the fields and woods on the other side of the airport. New Belgium is right beside the river in the middle of town, sending out airbnb spores that are causing home after home to be turned into short-term rental units in an epidemic of such that is spreading across the city like mold under the wallpaper.

Regarding the AC Hotel, what's really ironic there is that corner was the site of the Langren Hotel which was torn down for a shitty 1960's parking deck, which was in turn torn down to make way for... the AC Hotel. Full circle, just with a final product greatly diminished from what was there in the first place.

Quote:
The soul is not completely lost, I got to see Spoon Lady and the Tater Boys play near the square. Google it...they're quite good. There are also still plenty of independent shops and restaurants that continue to make the city a very unique and worthwhile destination.
...And you just had to go there. You couldn't have picked a more heartbreaking example of how Asheville hasn't yet lost its soul, because Abby the Spoon Lady is leaving Asheville. Like most artists she can't afford to live here anymore, and she will be moving back to her hometown of Wichita.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos