HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

InterContinental Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 7:20 PM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

Blowing scale is overrated. Who cares? I agree with Steely. This town invented scale blowing. If there's a scale, Chicago will blow it. And should. With vigor. Anti-Scale Blowers are worse than the NIMBYs in my book. Why? Because it's not even your backyard!!!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 9:51 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvidler
It kind of reminds me of the building that was designed for the open lot in front of the NBC Tower along the river. If anyone has that I would love to see a comparison.
I felt the same way, because I saw the rendering without looking at the title first.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 9:51 PM

I'm suprised that this design came out of LaGrange's office. I know that the firm has designed several wonderful modern buildings, but I remember reading an article several years ago that he would never designa modern building for Michigan Avenue, and because of his stance I couldn't see him allowing any of the associates do that either.

I don't believe that this project will have a problem selling its high end units. I mean it's right on the Mag Mile in the thick of everything. The units will all have superior service. And seeing as it's mainly hotel they don't have to market all of the units, just a small portion.

dvidler, I believe that you are refering to the Cityfront Plaza project.

Intercontinental Tower

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 10:04 PM
The True Avatar

I can't wait to see Chicagos skyline in another 5-10 years. All of these new projects are going to change it dramaticly.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 10:33 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/200...130867881.html

From Hotel Online
Here's an excerpt:

The new tower is being designed by the award-winning Lucien Lagrange Architects and will provide approximately 150 new luxury hotel suites and 310 luxury condominium units. Strategic intends to work with a leading residential developer to develop and market the condominiums. The redevelopment effort will include a unique pedestrian park connected to Michigan Avenue, which will extend over Grand Avenue.

As well as for the Fairmont:
The 692-room Fairmont Chicago was recently acquired by the company and has a premier location at the gateways to Millennium Park, recognized as one of the top urban parks in the country, and Lakeshore East, the city's most significant urban and upscale high-rise housing development. The Rockwell Group, an international award-winning design firm, is working with the company on the interior and exterior design, in addition to the development of high-end fractional ownership units and hotel condominium units.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 11:29 PM

This is just fucking ridiculous.

Yeah, this is a pretty decent-looking building. I thought it was the other one at first too. My only reservation is that the "high-end condos" will be going on sale beginning in mid-2007, by which time I can't imagine it'll be very easy to find buyers...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 11:32 PM
THAT Guy

You are misreading it I believe:

Quote:
The proposal must receive city zoning approval. Construction, which would depend on sales of the high-priced condo units, is not expected to start until mid-2007 at the earliest.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 11:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

EDIT:

^ yeah, what he said.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 12:03 AM

Oh hell yes! Another 800+ footer, when is the madness going stop in this town? I hope the answer is never, because this is just too much fun. If this project happens we get to see demolition of a eyesore on our most elliete street, construction of a 850' tower that will soar above everything around it and a new pocket park above a drab streetscape along Grand Avenue. Check and mate, this project kicks ass and so does this city.

And additionally we have the 65 East Huron project back on (as I predicted with tall tower wiping out 500 LSD) with a height increase toboot. And top it all off, CLICK HERE

I bet Pip will flip when he sees all this after work tonight.

Last edited by Chicago Shawn; Nov 2, 2005 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 12:35 AM

"You are misreading it I believe:"

Yep, I am. Sorry about that.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 1:17 AM
THAT Guy

No need to be sorry.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 2:32 AM

Quote:
i fixed the title
thanks... the irony is that I'm the 1st to point out someone else's non-compliant thread titles.

I saw so much of the Legacy at MP in this one I'm thinking SCB is gonna sue for intellectual property - the whole upper south wall is derived from LMP... nonetheless, it is a nice tower and is exactly what Michigan Ave needs at that spot. Slowly, Michigan north of the river is really becoming it's own city center.

I'd think this isn't likely to get done, but I'm starting to believe this city has hit some critical mass that's attracting buyers and wealth not heard from before - because the number of new, expensive units is staggering... especially considering it's been a long time since there's been a significant project that died due to sales.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 3:07 AM
Freakbirthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan118
YOU GUYS SUCK

You're getting all these nice towers from 600-2000' tall. I'm so jealous of you.

I likey. It'll look nice.
No need to be jealous. Their your buidings also, as much as anybody else's.

That will be an amazing construction project, and an amazing dismantling at such a congested location.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
Oh hell yes! Another 800+ footer, when is the madness going stop in this town? I hope the answer is never, because this is just too much fun. If this project happens we get to see demolition of a eyesore on our most elliete street, construction of a 850' tower that will soar above everything around it and a new pocket park above a drab streetscape along Grand Avenue. Check and mate, this project kicks ass and so does this city.

And additionally we have the 65 East Huron project back on (as I predicted with tall tower wiping out 500 LSD) with a height increase toboot. And top it all off, CLICK HERE

I bet Pip will flip when he sees all this after work tonight.
Lol. So true. I'm trying to absorb all the great news coming out of Chicago. I love it when I cannot keep track of all the development because there are so many buildings proposed, site prep, or underconstruction.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 4:48 AM
"The World is my Oyster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL
A thumbnail from the Trib showing street level:
That's a nice view of the street level part of the building!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 11:24 PM

November 2, 2005

BY DAVID ROEDER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

HOTEL HIGH-RISE: Although he previously downplayed the chance of massive new construction at the InterContinental Chicago hotel, 505 N. Michigan, that's exactly what Laurence Geller, chief executive of Strategic Hotel Capital Inc., has proposed. A submission to the City Council on Tuesday seeks zoning authority for a 71-story building that would replace the architecturally drab 26-story north tower of the hotel. The project promises a substantial upgrade in the hotel's image and new retail life for the Mag Mile's south end. But the scale is enormous.

Despite the addition's size, Geller's actually proposing a downsizing of the InterContinental, from 800 rooms to 480. The rest of the new space would be 310 condos for the rich.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Chicago
I'm starting to believe this city has hit some critical mass that's attracting buyers and wealth not heard from before - because the number of new, expensive units is staggering... especially considering it's been a long time since there's been a significant project that died due to sales.
This is a big and interesting topic. And to think that not too recently The Economist dubbed Chicago, as I recall, "the capital of flyover country." Why does critical mass (with a nod to the bicyclists) seem so much more important now than 20 years ago? Back then, the average good kid graduating from the U of M would be happy with suburban Detroit. No longer... and thus Chicago gains. Miami, Chicago, NY, SF. How did this precipitate?

Grand Pier died for unclear reasons. Inland Steel did have issues with Chin, but I'm not sure if that was the whole story. Hudson Tower: Reszko. Otherwise, you advertise it, they'll buy it.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 1:08 AM

Chicago is sure getting a lot of tall developments lately.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 1:54 AM
Ω

really nice.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 2:11 AM
Content provider

Cityfront Plaza much better looking

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive