HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 6:40 AM

Don't know how many of you caught this: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e65474447.html. A minor snag in the ramp design and bus specs (specs that were not known due to modifications to VRT busses). But it sounds like an easy fix.

Also, does anyone have any additional details on progress of the Idaho Historical Museum renovation? To me it looks like nothing's been done since they closed at the end of 2014, and I'm inferring that since there aren't even any work containers for interior remodeling. According to their webpage they'll be closed through most of next year. What I'm mostly wondering is if current plans still call for significant upgrades to the exterior. I know it's a state project, so who knows what the details are on the funds. For those that recall, this is what the updated museum is supposed to look like:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 6:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGoodGlavin View Post
Don't know how many of you caught this: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e65474447.html. A minor snag in the ramp design and bus specs (specs that were not known due to modifications to VRT busses). But it sounds like an easy fix.

Also, does anyone have any additional details on progress of the Idaho Historical Museum renovation? To me it looks like nothing's been done since they closed at the end of 2014, and I'm inferring that since there aren't even any work containers for interior remodeling. According to their webpage they'll be closed through most of next year. What I'm mostly wondering is if current plans still call for significant upgrades to the exterior. I know it's a state project, so who knows what the details are on the funds. For those that recall, this is what the updated museum is supposed to look like:

Looks like construction bids will go out this spring.
This is from their web site:

Why did the Museum close so early?
We closed to the public in August 2014 to allow our staff time to disassemble the exhibitions, catalog and conserve artifacts, and empty staff offices and public spaces for asbestos abatement; which took place in the spring of 2015.
Once asbestos abatement was completed, the architecture firm and exhibit design team began the work to align needed infrastructure to accommodate an entirely new exhibition experience and control costs of the project.
The building renovation will go out to public bid in the spring of 2016.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Mar 14, 2016 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 10:36 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureNorthEnder View Post
Cool photos, Sawtooth! Were those all Bernie fans?
Thanks FutureNorthEnder

Yes, there was a Bernie rally that I was unaware of until I heard the revelry and saw the parade coming down 8th Street. I went to the Record Exchange to get a latte and check out the birds and decided to walk towards the Clearwater Building and looked up 8th and saw the people heading towards The Grove. There were a lot of people in the march.

Earlier today I was at the Boise Co-op and saw this banner at the Jim's location. Jim's was great for old fashioned diner breakfasts and I can't believe the chicken was snatched away and taken somewhere on the Bench, but I am looking forward to this new restaurant. Phở

I knew I had a recent photo of the Chicken, and I know I have more but I have too many photo albums to look through lol. Chicken was so cool looking towards St. Johns Cathedral for salvation.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Mar 13, 2016 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 12:12 AM

Sorry, a little late to the party, but count me in as well as a person who is completely shocked at the Parcel B proposal. Really? That is the best they can come up with??? Give me a break. That's an excellent piece of property that deserves just that....excellence.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 2:00 AM

YES!!!!

Finally a vegan Pho option! I always have to go to Seattle for that haah

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
Looks like construction bids will gout this spring.
This is from their web site:

Why did the Museum close so early?
We closed to the public in August 2014 to allow our staff time to disassemble the exhibitions, catalog and conserve artifacts, and empty staff offices and public spaces for asbestos abatement; which took place in the spring of 2015.
Once asbestos abatement was completed, the architecture firm and exhibit design team began the work to align needed infrastructure to accommodate an entirely new exhibition experience and control costs of the project.
The building renovation will go out to public bid in the spring of 2016.
Thanks for finding that . For those that have never seen it, you can always get an idea of state (University, Govt., etc.) building project timing from the DPW construction website: http://dpw.idaho.gov/construction/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:02 PM
Closed account

City Center Plaza

Cool drone video of topping out ceremony:

https://youtu.be/iN0yfIDB18g

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:11 PM
Closed account

Hotels,Gardner Co and Hayman House

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:46 PM

Beautiful pics Sawtooth. It's nice to see the Clearwater in relation to street life.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 3:04 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Boise History

This video may have already been seen by many of you here, but I found it very interesting. It is amazing how much of a wasteland downtown Boise was during the 1970's. Look closely and you will see many of Boise's landmarks that still exist today, and how they looked back then.

Video is titled "Building Boise:1970's":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTEKnYQPW00

The webpage also includes videos covering several decades of Boise's past.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:06 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakor21 View Post
Anyone know when the next P&Z meeting is for Gardner or in general????

I'm literally going to go to voice my disappointment and exhaust the vital importance that parcel B be developed in a different matter..

I simply cannot believe the city would allow such failure to be developed to the gateway to the economic, cultural, and social core of the entire state. This may be why all the educated millennials are leaving the city, and for better architecture.. (I actually don't know that just ranting..)
Gardner's Parcel B is on the April 13th agenda.
http://boisecityid.iqm2.com/Citizens...94&Inline=True

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:40 PM

http://commerce.idaho.gov/press-rele...ext-five-years

Paylocity Chooses Boise, Creating 500+ Jobs in Next Five Years

Quote:
plans to open its Boise office in January 2016, on the fourth floor of the C.W. Moore Plaza.

Can 500 employees fit on one floor in the CW Moore?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 7:10 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
http://commerce.idaho.gov/press-rele...ext-five-years

Paylocity Chooses Boise, Creating 500+ Jobs in Next Five Years

Can 500 employees fit on one floor in the CW Moore?

zero chance. they might be able to squeeze 100 onto one floor if it's an open design, but that's even tight. i've worked in a building with a similar floor plate size and we had 50 people, some doubled-up in offices.

by contrast, the new Simplot HQ building will be home to 1,000 employees, so Paylocity would need a building about half the size of Simplot to accommodate 500 employees, and that doesn't leave room for any additional rentable space.

it's possible that Paylocity is the one Gardner mentioned for its ugly-ass 6-story building on Parcel B. By the time it's built, Paylocity may be growing fast enough to need that kind of space.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
zero chance. they might be able to squeeze 100 onto one floor if it's an open design, but that's even tight. i've worked in a building with a similar floor plate size and we had 50 people, some doubled-up in offices.
Thanks for that info Boisebro.

Here's some Treefort news:

http://kboi2.com/news/local/treefort...nest-in-nation

Treefort Music Fest working to become 'greenest' in nation

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, my reading of that article is that the CW Moore space is "swing space" until something more permanent is found.

Quote:
it's possible that Paylocity is the one Gardner mentioned for its ugly-ass 6-story building on Parcel B. By the time it's built, Paylocity may be growing fast enough to need that kind of space.
That's an interesting hypothesis and the timing of these announcements perhaps adds some credence to this idea.

The other possibility is the development in the Central Addition that was supposed to be for CradlePoint. Since CradlePoint moved into Boise Plaza, I presume that developer is looking for a tenant.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 9:28 PM

http://www.kivitv.com/news/construct...being-cut-down

Downtown Boise construction results in trees being cut down

Quote:
On 8th street between Myrtle and Broad in downtown Boise, you may not see as many shoppers as usual. The block that is home to many local stores is undergoing construction.

Crews are working to replace the sidewalks on both sides of the street and will install new street lights.

With all that construction, crews had to cut down the iconic ginkgo trees that lined the sidewalk.

The contractor tells us more trees will be planted once the construction wraps up and will be more healthy due to an improved watering system built underground.

"The tree will have probably five to ten times the amount of soil to grow then they had before, " Boise Parks and Recreation City Forester Brian Jorgenson said.

With more soil, officials say long term it should result with the trees being much larger.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 11:23 PM
Closed account

Video of Downtown Boise, Idaho

Video of downtown Boise on St.Paddy's Day March 17,2016. You can see The Fowler, Inn at 500 Capitol, The Afton, The Residence Inn by Marriott, Simplot World HQ, One Nineteen Condos and City Center all under construction.

https://youtu.be/9U5dhqewlbc

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 3:25 AM

It looks like this trade is near closing: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e66766287.html

Does anyone know specifically which parcel in the "West End" is being traded?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 3:28 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
Gardner's Parcel B is on the April 13th agenda.
http://boisecityid.iqm2.com/Citizens...94&Inline=True

Yes..

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 5:03 AM
Closed account

Construction Downtown

March 17,2016

City Center and Onenineteen Condos in far distance

The Fowler

The Hyatt

Onenineteen condos and Simplot HQ

Residence Inn by Marriott

The Inn at 500 Capitol

The Afton

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West