HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 4:26 PM

Pretty disappointing. Gables Residential had a really nice track record before this and when Clarion acquired them they were still bullish about the prospects of multi-family units in a hot Austin market. I hope this doesn't stay a pile of dirt for the next few years. I'd much rather they turn it into a surface parking lot, which would be great for downtown anyway. They planned on incorporating the bricks from the previous buildings on the site into the design. I wonder if future developers will be obligated to do the same. It's too bad because a 300+ tower with a footprint that size would have added some nice density downtown.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Pretty disappointing. Gables Residential had a really nice track record before this and when Clarion acquired them they were still bullish about the prospects of multi-family units in a hot Austin market. I hope this doesn't stay a pile of dirt for the next few years. I'd much rather they turn it into a surface parking lot, which would be great for downtown anyway. They planned on incorporating the bricks from the previous buildings on the site into the design. I wonder if future developers will be obligated to do the same. It's too bad because a 300+ tower with a footprint that size would have added some nice density downtown.
Great density. Do you have confirmation this project is dead ?

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 8:01 PM

I think it is premature to pronounce this project as dead. It seems to be troubled, but I am not ready to give up on it yet.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I think it is premature to pronounce this project as dead. It seems to be troubled, but I am not ready to give up on it yet.
I mean something will get built there evetually, maybe even by Gables, I just don't think it will resemble the current iteration. I could see the project moving to all residential because I think the hotel market will be leveled out by the time this one gets going again. At the very least, it's delayed. Is it possible that Hotel Zaza could end up going in one of White Lodgings unannounced projects?

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 11:14 PM
World Traveler

It has been oddly uneventful for a while now. We'll find out eventually.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 10:00 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I drove by the site yesterday afternoon but couldn't see much through the advertising fabric. I thought it looked like something may be finally happening but not 100%. Would be nice to see an updated picture from above.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 4:39 AM

I saw some large concrete pipes piled inside the fabric fence the other day. I could not tell what they were all about unless they are making sewer connections before construction gets underway. Is this building supposed to have any underground parking?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 8:19 AM

Quote:
I saw some large concrete pipes piled inside the fabric fence the other day. I could not tell what they were all about unless they are making sewer connections before construction gets underway. Is this building supposed to have any underground parking?
Three levels.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 12:11 AM

The attachment to this approved correction to the site plan from May describes some utility (waste water service) issues which may be at least part of the reason for the slow progress:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11356363

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:14 PM

Jan Buchholz has a quote from Benji Homsey, president of brand and development for Zaza in today's print edition. He told her there's nothing to worry about and that they are working through some delays. He also told her that the project will be "fully mobilized" soon and that "all is moving in a positive direction." We'll see...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 2:01 PM
World Traveler

Well, at least something was said rather than us just guessing. I'll still believe it when something physically starts on site.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 12:59 AM

8/3, site remains inactive.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Aug 4, 2015 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 1:01 AM

Weeds are growing on the dirt that was moved.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 1:31 AM

They have another approved Site Plan Correction. Some of the improvements the city did complicated their plans and they are having to rework a manhole location as well as routing a drain line around a duct bank they discovered. The update is attached at the bottom of this page: https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11396520

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwx View Post
They have another approved Site Plan Correction. Some of the improvements the city did complicated their plans and they are having to rework a manhole location as well as routing a drain line around a duct bank they discovered. The update is attached at the bottom of this page: https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11396520
The fact that more info is coming to light about utility problems makes me feel better about this project happening. The permit update in your link is dated 08/05, so the utility problem is current which means it's still causing the delay.

Last edited by The ATX; Aug 11, 2015 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:03 AM

One suspects that site plan difficulties would not be enough to halt construction of a project like this, assuming the project is fully funded and ready to roll. Something else is causing this delay.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:05 AM

Quote:
One suspects that site plan difficulties would not be enough to halt construction of a project like this, assuming the project is fully funded and ready to roll. Something else is causing this delay.
The utility issue has to be causing at least part of the delay. They may not be able excavate until its resolved. But yeah, I think their is another component involved.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The utility issue has to be causing at least part of the delay. They may not be able excavate until its resolved. But yeah, I think their is another component involved.
Like no plan to build a ZaZa. There is such a thing as overbuilding. The number of rooms under construction, in Austin, is probably ample for now and the near future, even with the long lead time for such a project.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 10:51 PM

Movement! There was some buzz at the Hotel ZaZa site today. While some of the work seemed to be going on around the periphery of the lot (Primarily Lavacca and 3rd Street- maybe utility work?) there were two or three excavators working on site. In fact, there is a huge stack of piping laid out on the lot. City could just be using it as a staging area, but it really appeared as though work was happening within the fence. I'll have to get a closer look this weekend.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 2:32 AM

Honestly, I'd rather see something else go up here at this point. When do their permits expire?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin