HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 12:29 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
Is it just me or is this going up really fast? Not that I'm complaining, but wow.
They are not messing around!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 6:51 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Hopefully one of you could clear some confusion about the Fairmont's size.

Now that the tower portion has become quite visible it's plain to see that the length is not as long as the JW Marriott. With only 2 more floors than the JW, I don't see how the Fairmont is supposed to have 1,066 rooms as opposed to JW's 1012 rooms. Add the fact that the JW has the white side wing and the Fairmont only has a single tower, it makes me question how it could have 56 more rooms than the JW?

Either the hotel rooms will be a lot smaller in size compared to the JW rooms or the stats for the hotel whether room count or floor count are not right.

Maybe I'm missing something but as I drove by the Fairmont 3 times today, the more I looked at it the more my brain wanted to explode lol.

Are they going to have rooms in the podium part of the hotel maybe?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Hopefully one of you could clear some confusion about the Fairmont's size.

Now that the tower portion has become quite visible it's plain to see that the length is not as long as the JW Marriott. With only 2 more floors than the JW, I don't see how the Fairmont is supposed to have 1,066 rooms as opposed to JW's 1012 rooms. Add the fact that the JW has the white side wing and the Fairmont only has a single tower, it makes me question how it could have 56 more rooms than the JW?

Either the hotel rooms will be a lot smaller in size compared to the JW rooms or the stats for the hotel whether room count or floor count are not right.

Maybe I'm missing something but as I drove by the Fairmont 3 times today, the more I looked at it the more my brain wanted to explode lol.

Are they going to have rooms in the podium part of the hotel maybe?
Looked at the rendering just now. I count 29 floors of rooms with 18 rooms on each side of the tower for a total of 36 rooms per floor. That adds up to 1044 rooms. Maybe I miscounted room windows since my count is short 22 rooms. I doubt there will be hotel rooms in the podium.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 1:12 AM

1-13-16

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 2:29 AM
Honored Member

Seeing the Fairmont looming over the Palm school makes me feel like an ass hat for being so dismissive of the school as a historic site. It never looked like anything worthy of any special consideration to me until I saw it with the Fairmont skeleton lurking menacingly in the background. The contrast is pretty neat, and I can see how it could be spruced up and turned into a worthwhile asset. Still, it seems like it would entail an enormous opportunity cost to designate it as a historical site in such a primo location, but I can finally begin to see why others may think it's worthy of protection.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:32 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Seeing the Fairmont looming over the Palm school makes me feel like an ass hat for being so dismissive of the school as a historic site. It never looked like anything worthy of any special consideration to me until I saw it with the Fairmont skeleton lurking menacingly in the background. The contrast is pretty neat, and I can see how it could be spruced up and turned into a worthwhile asset. Still, it seems like it would entail an enormous opportunity cost to designate it as a historical site in such a primo location, but I can finally begin to see why others may think it's worthy of protection.
That's not the Palm School in that photo; it's an old building on Red River. It's across the creek from the Fairmont site and is currently boarded with a fence around it. Not sure what it was/is for.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:54 AM

Looks like it's about 100ft up.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 4:20 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I think it's a good opportunity for some kind of repurpose activation.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
That's not the Palm School in that photo; it's an old building on Red River. It's across the creek from the Fairmont site and is currently boarded with a fence around it. Not sure what it was/is for.
Anyone know what is the story with the old structure on Red River...It has been in that state for years.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Anyone know what is the story with the old structure on Red River...It has been in that state for years.
I have no idea, but to me, it's always looked like it was being prepped to be hitched up and towed to another location. That is my guess as to what will happen to it. It is sitting on prime real estate that could be better utilized.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:11 PM
World Traveler

It is a pretty neat old building. I don't know what kind of shape the guts are in, but it seems like it could be repurposed for sure.

Anyway, kinda cool that the Fairmont is rising (bring it back....)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:25 PM

That building has been discussed on here before, but I have no idea where. From what I recall, the building was moved to that site which is why it has that "dropped off and we'll get back to back to you later" look.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:26 PM
World Traveler

Haha, that could be the exact scenario....someone dropped it off there temporarily to get it out of there way...over time it's become someone else's problem.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 11:49 PM

Actually, isn't that the palm school in his last pic? With the red roof (and the palms in front) -

https://goo.gl/maps/muoReuSwv2u

Maybe that's the image Tech House was referring to...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 12:13 AM
World Traveler

^^ Totally missed that. You might be right.

Only one way to find out. Tech House?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 1:08 AM

Found thison the house and yes the building with the red roof is the Palm School http://downtownaustinblog.org/2011/03/09/this-is-bull/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 1:24 AM
World Traveler

^^ Great find! I wonder if there's a good place for that house to go where it can be repurposed...seems like it'd be a big undertaking.

So, as the Fairmont finishes, what is the likelihood of something getting developed on the block where this house currently sits? I've seen a rendering of the convention center expansion (not the newest idea) taking this block and the one north of it. Does that hold any water? I'm hoping not - I'd rather see hotels/restaurants, etc., as they'd complement the Waller Creek plan significantly better. Forgive me if I'm asking something obvious - I've heard so much speculation about this area that I can't recall opinion from potential fact without researching. It seems the Fairmont could bring greater potential to that side of the convention center (obviously the Palm School site is yet to be determined).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 1:52 AM
Meh

I wonder if that house could be moved to one of the downtown parks such as Waterloo Park or even Palm Park. San Antonio's Hemisphere Park has several old structures that are being reused.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 2:09 AM
World Traveler

I was also thinking of something like the Dallas Heritage Village just across I-30 from DTD. Surely there are enough older structures worth saving that are able to be moved. It'd be interesting, for sure.

Edit: In fact, if Austin were to do something like Dallas Heritage Village, the Palm Park / Palm School site would be a great one for it. It would take some work, but the Palm School could be turned into a decent museum showcasing the area's history, which is interesting to me, at least.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 4:15 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

We need to get Nicole Curtis, Rehab Addict, on that house!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin