HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 5:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I guess one could say that why some refer to it as the greatest is because of its unusually intense and diverse street life. Its diversity is key, and every street, small or big, tells a story. Often a story that spans decades, and that can be traced to different countries.

8.6 million stories, but each one is unique as the city draws an immense pool of nationalities and creative minds. Hence why it is the monolithic cultural/creative capital of the world. Sure it might have to do with the reputation its built in the last century, but it did a good job of creating it.

Lastly, it gives you this motivation. Its sort of the urban adderall. You go there, and you just want to make it to the top. Work long hours, no sleep, and be the best. Who needs coffee? Just walk outside, and the street will wake you up.
I will say this, you are certainly right about the energy. I always get a surge of it walking the streets of Manhattan.

Quote:
Also let this not be seen as a circle jerk because anybody with sense would realize that its not perfect.
Of course it isn't perfect. Nowhere is. It's very telling that this simple topic draws the trolls. There are certainly any number of topics in this subforum to comment on, but they choose this one. Of course, the Apple is always an attraction, good or bad.

Now, I've been thinking about it a little more, and going back to the middle of the last century or a bit earlier. New York was a different city, but still far different from most other places in the US. Almost everything was made here. It was (and still is) a media capital. Anyone visiting from outside the country likely wanted to come to the city. I think over time it just became common enough a phrase that even hearing someone say it, you take it in stride, you don't argue. Because hey, who would? You certainly aren't going to change the mind of New Yorkers. As far as the people who visit and say its the greatest city in the world, again, a lot of those people would never want to live in the Apple. (A lot would never want to live in a big city at all). But that's besides the point.

Anyway, there's a little vintage "grit" for you below.

http://spoilednyc.com/2015/06/18/thr...ion-years-nyc/

http://spoilednyc.com/2015/04/20/cit...nd-over-again/

City of Dreams: 15 Simple Reasons You'll Fall in Love with NYC, Over and Over Again

April 20, 2015

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:31 PM

New York: A Documentary Film

I find it a good documentary about the Apple.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The movie industry is also big in NYC. Another reason for its big popularity.

When the aliens invade, they choose NYC as their primary target for domination. Sure it involves the destruction of the city, but hey, they traveled millions of light years to come here. It means something.

Credit: http://www.sky.com/tv/movie/independence-day-1996

Also, asteroids tend to love the city.

Video Link

And tsunamis.

The city is often the target of Hollywood disaster movies. Not only that, but the Marvel heros defend our city. Spiderman is our hero.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Then, walking along the canyons of (Midtown) Manhattan is pure awesomeness. Bold, big behemoths rising above your head. The density is unparalleled. And just when you think you've seen it all, there's those little secrets in every street. You can literally walk the same street a 100 times, and still get surprised.

No comment.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 5:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The movie industry is also big in NYC. Another reason for its big popularity.

When the aliens invade, they choose NYC as their primary target for domination. Sure it involves the destruction of the city, but hey, they traveled millions of light years to come here. It means something.
Yeah, it is refreshing when they destroy another target. But with NY there is so much to destroy, they like to go for effect I guess. And of course, with destruction you must have the massive crowds fleeing. That's why so many felt that watching the footage of 9/11 was like watching a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicism View Post
No comment.
I think that counts as a comment.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 11:15 PM
New Yorker for life

You've had your fun, and you have been tolerated until now. I don't think any of you are younger than 12 and should be able to follow simple instructions. So any further off topic posts or bringing other cities into the discussion will get suspensions to go along with the deleted post. Find yourselves another way to waste your time.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 11:18 PM
if I sang out of tune

Proud of your ignorance. Please feel free to suspend me mate.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 11:19 PM
Dryer lint inspector

This thread is done.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions