HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | Greatest City on Earth

It's a popular phrase: "New York, the greatest city in the world!"

Sure, it's probably a homegrown phrase. But it endures, and people firmly believe it when they say it. And sure, there are lots of great cities around the country and the rest of the world. But none of them boast of being "world's greatest". Maybe it's that unique, braggadocious New York attitude. Or maybe it's just true.

Either way, it's a non-official title for the Big Apple.

The financial crisis couldn't kill it. 9/11 couldn't keep it down. The (12-year) reign of Emporer Bloomberg and his attempts at a large soda ban couldn't knock the wind out of it.

So why is it? How did it come to be? It's it because the city always comes back? Thoughts anyone?

(And BTW, this is not a knock on any other city or place. So bringing some other city into the discussion will only get posts deleted).

__________________________________________________________________________________

People just can't get enough of that juicy Apple

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:38 PM

Oy vey.

Please, not this.

Last edited by Hamilton; Jul 28, 2015 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:48 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Nobody's forcing you buddy. You opened the door and came in.

Time Out had their list of why the city is greatest...

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/thing...y-in-the-world

50 reasons why NYC is the greatest city in the world
From the grid and the skyline to New Yorkers' long life expectancy, here are 50 facts that prove living in NYC is better than living anywhere else

Here's another piece...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...ity-Earth.html

... why New York truly is the greatest city on Earth

Quote:
...The police sirens are noisier, the fast food faster, the portions bigger (never order two Caesar salads, and remember that a 'side' of chips will feed a family of four), the beer colder, the teeth whiter, the seasons starker.

Talking to strangers is perfectly normal in the Big Bagel. It's as if everyone has just got off the plane and wants to introduce themselves.

'Where you from?' is the enduring refrain. 'A little-known planet due south of Saturn, actually. You?' 'Not sure, but I'm living in the present now.' Living In The Present might be a good slogan to replace the whiskery The City That Never Sleeps.

The taxi driver bringing you into town from JFK airport might have arrived here himself only two days earlier, but you would never know it. Or, as Tom Wolfe, author of that masterpiece about Manhattan, The Bonfire Of The Vanities, put it more eloquently: 'One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years.'

Hmmm, a little more reading...

http://www.businessinsider.com/louis...y-quote-2015-4

Louis C.K. captured why New York is the greatest city in the world in 2 brutally honest sentences

DRAKE BAER
Apr. 9, 2015

Quote:
..."Outside some fancy office building, you see a CEO getting his cigarette lit by a cleaning lady," he said. "Everybody is dealing with the same shit, everybody is on the subway elbow-to-elbow."

In other words, New York is diverse.

There should be no shortage of opinions, I'll look into it further.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:49 PM

Why would anyone post a picture of Times Square and brag about? I mean, look at all the garbage and tainted colored water in there. It also smells awful there. If you want to brag about New York City then pick another place besides TS.

But yes, it has ups and downs like any another place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Please, no.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:55 PM

There are plenty of people who don't like how wealthy and corporate Manhattan has become - and miss, desire the edginess of NYC circa late 70s/80s. As seen through the lens of great photograher here - I enjoy his pics immensely.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/steven...57626376913418

Too bad I was a Reagan baby ... and missed out on the reaaaal New York, New York.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:57 PM

I find it very obnoxious and don't really think it's a "non-official title." Every radio station beems it out as part of their call-sign - "broadcasting live from the greatest city in the world..." - so it's more of a self-created boast than a title.

Unfortunately, just because I walk around constantly boasting "i'm the greatest guy in the world" - A) doesn't make it true and B) doesn't mean it's my "non-official title."

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Unfortunately, just because I walk around constantly boasting "i'm the greatest guy in the world" - A) doesn't make it true and B) doesn't mean it's my "non-official title."
Another fail. It is a non-official title for New York. Denying it doesn't make it "untrue".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicism View Post
I don't get it, what is this thread about?
It's spelled out very clearly in the opening.

Quote:
If you want to brag about New York City then pick another place besides TS.
Cheap shot at Times Square. Very original. But like it or not, people flock there for a reason. So either add something to the discussion or don't.

Now, back to the program- Maybe it's just the history?...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b02dc8de1d5760

1950s New York Photos Remind Us It's Still The Greatest City On Earth

Suzy Strutner
04/01/2015

Quote:
New York is arguably the best city on the planet. We know this to be true. But sometimes that fact gets buried under the snowpocalypse of a long, cold winter.

Never fear, because 1950s NYC is here. These swoon-worthy snapshots of vintage New York -- from the coasters of Coney Island to the crosswalks of Fifth Ave. -- remind us why we love the city so darn much. If you live here, then take a staycation this spring and rediscover all the boroughs have to offer. If you don't, then come visit. You won't be disappointed by the city that's been making travel dreams come true for decades.

She provides some compelling photos as evidence...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 4:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Sad, but a few post in I have to issue this reminder so I don't have to clean up a lot of post:

Quote:
This thread isn't about any other place you might imagine to pop up in your head. It is simply about New York, and the unofficial-title of "greatest city on the planet", why and how that came about. It's that simple.

No worries though, there is no shortage of opinion from others...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Buildi...h.-a0153755492

Building New York; the rise and rise of the greatest city on Earth.

http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/...11-anniversary

These Photos Remind Us Why NYC is the Greatest City in the World

https://www.pinterest.com/okiesweeti...city-on-earth/

New York~Greatest City on Earth!
Fell in love with NYC my first time there. My love affair deepens with each trip and each image!

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 4:12 PM

I'll speak here as a New Yorker who loves my city.

First of all, not all of us fit this stereotype of an arrogant New Yorker, which I think is a bit unfair. Lots of friendly, down-to-earth, humble people in New York City who don't go around puffing their chests.

Secondly, to the extent that people do conform to this stereotype and proclaim NYC the "greatest city in the world," it's due to a characteristic American insularity. There aren't any global cities within easy traveling distance of NYC. Once you've traveled to other great global cities, NYC's shortcomings become more apparent.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 4:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Secondly, to the extent that people do conform to this stereotype and proclaim NYC the "greatest city in the world," it's due to a characteristic American insularity.

There aren't any global cities within easy traveling distance of NYC. Once you've traveled to other great global cities, NYC's shortcomings become more apparent.
Interesting. But that title is often repeated by visitors, world travelers, so I don't buy the theory that it's a "limited experience" thing.

It's also not something new. It's a moniker that has been used to describe the city for years.

There's no way of measuring what is "truly" the greatest city in the world (if such a thing exists at all). But its something taken for granted when said about New York. So let's get some more ideas of why it has stuck.

Someone else also posed this question, and got a few answers, you'll find in the link...

http://www.quora.com/Why-is-New-York...y-in-the-world

Quote:
Why is New York so often called the best city in the world?

I have been living very close to NYC and been visiting it on weekly basis. No one can argue that the city has some of the most attractive things in the world: UN, wall street, world trade center...etc. Plus geographically it's a hub that connects the entire US to the world. Historically, it was a city that immigrants first landed in and started their lives, that's why it's an open culture city.

With all mentioned above, I still have a hard time to understand why people would live there? I mean spending time visiting attractions and resturants would be a exciting. But how convenient is it to live there?

Very, very expensive: buying an apartment is more expensive than buying a mansion in western Europe. Taxes are high, nearly double those of other cities in US.

Very crowded: you can't afford a parking spot. The transport system is great, still it not always easy and convenient.

Weather: last two years were inhumanly cold, transportation dropped down, airports shut down and businesses were affected.

http://theodysseyonline.com/colorado...y-world/109172

Why New York City is the Best City in the World
One hand in the air for the big city/ Street lights, big dreams all lookin' pretty/ No place in the world that could compare

Tja Shorr
Jun 10, 2015

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 28, 2015 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 4:35 PM

That opinion pretty much sums up most of NYC shortcomings. Don't get me wrong, its a great city, sure.

Quote:
Very, very expensive
Quote:
Taxes are high, nearly double those of other cities in US.
Quote:
Very crowded: you can't afford a parking spot. The transport system is great, still it not always easy and convenient.

I am curious, what does this last piece have to do with the weather.

Quote:
transportation dropped down, airports shut down and businesses were affected.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 4:39 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Home town boosterism like this just makes you look insecure. It doesn't impress people. On the contrary, it makes them dislike you.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's a popular phrase: "New York, the greatest city in the world!"

Sure, it's probably a homegrown phrase. But it endures, and people firmly believe it when they say it. And sure, there are lots of great cities around the country and the rest of the world. But none of them boast of being "world's greatest". Maybe it's that unique, braggadocious New York attitude. Or maybe it's just true.
Or maybe it's because New Yorkers are the only ones delusional and narcissistic enough to actually try to claim such an obnoxious title. NY has huge global influence but plenty of other cities do as well.

Many other cities in the world could claim to be the greatest based on different attributes.

The fact is there is no one true utopias city, every city brings different things to the world and offers a different way of life and set of values.

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 28, 2015 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 4:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Home town boosterism like this just makes you look insecure. It doesn't impress people. On the contrary, it makes them dislike you.
You speak as though I invented the phrase. I did not. As I've mentioned, it's a popular title that has been around for years, and I've been posting the evidence of it. It's not meant to impress anyone, (nor would I care to do so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Or maybe it's because New Yorkers are the only ones delusional and narcissistic enough to actually try to claim such an obnoxious title. NY has huge global influence but plenty of other cities do as well.
I'm sure other places (as I've said) have their moment. But this thread is particularly about NY's unofficial title of "greatest city in the world".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicism View Post
I am curious, what does this last piece have to do with the weather.
She may have been referencing some people not being able to get to work. Who knows?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 5:42 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You speak as though I invented the phrase. I did not.
He did not. The naked boosterism of the sloganeers has them sitting insecure.

I remember Mayor Bill Smith's motto during the 90s for Edmonton: "The Greatest City in the Greatest Province in the Greatest Country in the World!"

We laughed.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 6:02 PM
New Yorker for life

^ That's telling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post

Thanks for that.

I'm not goint to post these entire pieces, but you can gather from the links the opinions of these other people.

http://www.adventuretravelwriter.com...-in-the-world/

SIX REASONS WHY NEW YORK IS THE BEST CITY IN THE WORLD

I like the following list. If gives you (in a way) all the reasons not to like the city, all the way down to number 1.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...cities-for-you

1. New York City Will Ruin Other Cities For You

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
The irony of this comment is that the most insecure people are always the ones that are the most vocal about how highly they think of themselves.

The premise of this thread seems quite confusing to me and wether the OP intended it or not, most users are going to interpret it as just another circle jerk for NYC as opposed to the "psychology" of how that "unofficial title" came to be, you can't blame them for misinterpreting.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 7:21 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

It's a popular phrase: "The cruller is the greatest donut in the world!"

Sure, it's probably a phrase invented by people who like crullers the best. But it endures, and people firmly believe it when they say it. And sure, there are lots of great donuts around the country and the rest of the world. But none of them boast of being "world's greatest". Maybe it's that unique, braggadocious French cruller attitude. Or maybe it's just true.

Either way, it's a non-official title for the delicious baked treat.

The bagel fad couldn't kill it. The cronut craze couldn't keep it down. The reign of the fast food breakfast sandwich couldn't knock the wind out of it.

So why is it? How did it come to be? It's it because the cruller always endures? Thoughts anyone?

(And BTW, this is not a knock on any other donut or baked good. So bringing some other donut into the discussion will only get posts deleted).

source

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM

^ LMFAO

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 7:47 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

We have the "Berlin is the Mecca of art and culture' thread, so why not this..heheh

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions