HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 3:21 AM
MPLSXCHI

Minneapolis and St. Paul- 4 times a year, born and raised there.

Millwaukee- once a year, it's close soooo.....

Outside of the USA

Both of my parents are German and I go to Germany and Austria often (Düsseldorf, Neuss, München, and Innsbruck)

Last edited by munchymunch; Jun 21, 2015 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 3:54 AM

I go to Philly about once a week. I go to NYC about once a month. I visit DC, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Chicago about once a year. I like to take a lot of short vacations and there is always an excuse to visit.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 4:01 AM

San Diego: once a year or so
San Francisco: once a year or so
Phoenix: at least once usually twice a year
Las Vegas: at least once a year
Central Valley (Bakersfield, Fresno, ect): twice or more a year (just flew out of BFL the other day cause it was super cheap, actually)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 4:01 AM
sick transit, gloria

I go to Hamilton once every 3-4 months or so to visit friends and hang out. That's the closest neighbouring (real) city but could still be considered the same metro area.

Don't visit many of the other cities in southern Ontario as I have no reason to. I've been to London, Kitchener/Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, Peterborough (a lot, for work ugh) etc but there's nothing super existing to bring me back unless I have a reason to.

I go to Ottawa very occasionally - it would be a lot more except that my friends who live there will come to Toronto once every few months like clockwork! Kind of a drag as I want to check out some of the new bars/restaurants there…

I'm in Buffalo/Niagara maybe twice a year. However sadly to say it's usually for shopping and I have yet to actually explore downtown Buffalo. I can't say no to Ben Sherman shirts marked down as low as $20 at the Niagara outlets though...

I went to Chicago 3 times last year and going again next month for a little.

I used to visit Montreal a fair bit but haven't been in a few years. Really should go again.

Haven't been in 1.5 years but generally visit NYC about once a year.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 4:38 AM

Nowhere this past year..Those Montreal day trips and American seaboard weekend jaunts just haven't been in the cards this past while.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 5:24 AM

Portland - Once or Twice a Year

Vancouver - Usually Annually

Victoria - Every Other Year

I'm from Boston and have family in the Bay Area so I'm in both of those places usually around twice a year. I also try to get to New York every other year or so.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 5:28 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Shanghai is a big ol' bubble, and if you spend long enough here, you end up thinking it's better than every other city in China, so you expect people to come to you, rather than you go to them. Terrible way of thinking, but it happens.

Having said that, I love Beijing, and get up there maybe once a year to see friends.

I'm in HK three to four times a year. Half the time for business, half the time for pleasure.

I visit Taipei once a year.

Kaohsiung and Tainan I go to three times a year to see family and friends.

Shanghai International Airport is a pain in the ass, but it has great connections to pretty much everywhere in Asia, so it's never hard to get a flight to HK or Taiwan on a whim.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 6:30 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Cleveland is 2.5 hours away. I visit on occasion. Columbus is less than 3 hours as well. It's about 6 hours to visit Philly & NYC and 4 hours to DC. I have been known to drive to those cities for concerts or general tomfoolery.
I've also been known to hang out in Cincinnati and Detroit (Both about 4.5 hours) .

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 8:01 AM
International

los angeles:

- palm springs: a few times a year, mostly to relax in the sun and admire MCM architecture.

- san francisco: a couple of times a year to see friends, try new restaurants, hang out.

- portland: once every two or so years. check out coffee shops, bike infrastructure, breweries, new infill/redevelopment.

- nyc: about once a year to see friends (of which, being from la, there are alot of) and get my legit, urban big city fix.

- san diego: maybe twice a year, less so now that my brother has finished his studies there. probably the best craft beer scene anywhere.

oslo:

- førde, norway: my girlfriend's hometown - we go a few times a year to see her friends and folks, go skiing/snowboarding, swimming and exploring fjords, hiking, etc. it is a so-so small town of 12.000 with world-class natural landscapes and attractions.

- bergen, norway: at least once a year, especially shopping around the holidays, as it is the main big city in the fjord region close to førde. very beautiful and picturesque, but kind of dull, imo.

- copenhagen: a few times a year to hang out, eat out, bike around, drink in public, etc. i have a couple of friends there, so there are always invitations to go and hang.

- berlin: my old european home. i go at least once a year to visit my old stomping grounds and see what has changed and what hasn't.

- london: haven't been this year, but will go later on, if only for the sheer fact that it is the european primate city and literally has something for everybody. norwegians visit fairly often, mostly to go shopping and to take advantage of big city attractions.

Last edited by Kingofthehill; Jun 21, 2015 at 9:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 11:20 AM

^ Umm... Tu aimes les blondes ? On dirait bien.
You've got that north fetish or something?
I've got a huge info for you: there is life south of London and Berlin too. Si si, I swear.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 12:13 PM

-St Louis, several times a year
-El Paso/Juarez MX, every other year, or two
-Chihuahua MX, same as above
-Oklahoma City & Albuquerque , every 5 years

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 12:17 PM

Travel up to nyc on average about once a month. About to see my terrible Phillies play the Yankees tomorrow up there.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 12:35 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ Umm... Tu aimes les blondes ? On dirait bien.
You've got that north fetish or something?
I've got a huge info for you: there is life south of London and Berlin too. Si si, I swear.
Ah, you again. I don't know what your deal is, but you know nothing about me, dude. I work here and go to school here, living with my girlfriend. The cities I mentioned are all nearby and easy to visit with Ryanair or Norwegian, or other low-cost carriers. Btw, London is one of the least-blonde and most immigrant-heavy cities in Europe.

And I know that life in the south is good - I just got back from Malta 3 days ago, and have been to Portugal, Spain, France, and Turkey as well.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 1:10 PM

^ Mah, come on, don't be that way. I'm just a clown here. That was just supposed to make you smile from a little self-mockery, if that was possible... It doesn't hurt from time to time.

Anyway, my deal is 1. taking nothing too seriously, and 2. trying to bring some updates from my country to this forum when I find some interesting and available/shareable, since there's still only a tiny couple of us on here. I don't really know why. It's been a little annoying to me.

I know you've been moving around enough. I kind of remember some Barcelona and Paris photo threads of yours. Maybe even Seville, I forget. Yes, You've been travelling, that's good.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 2:51 PM
Oak City

I live in Raleigh, NC.

Charlotte: Every week for work.
Greensboro/Winston-Salem: Several times a year.
Wilmington, NC: Once or twice a year.
Asheville: Twice a year for wife's family
Atlanta: Once or twice a year, for business and pleasure.
Columbia, SC: Only passing through.

Other cities like DC, NYC only for special occasions.

I've never been to Norfolk area, or Charleston SC. The only two cities in the region I've never been to, and I want to just because I haven't.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 9:25 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I'm kind of surprised folks aren't traveling around more, but I realize money is tight and people have work and school schedules to contend with.

When I lived in Boston, my friends and I made a point of visiting NYC every couple of months, and we also visited within about 3 years' time, Montreal, Quebec City, Portland ME, Washington DC, and Philadelphia just for the fuck of it. For some reason we never really stopped in Baltimore.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 9:37 PM
Ex Houstonian

I live in Pittsburgh and I go to NYC about once a year, Philly once a year, Cleveland maybe a couple times a year, Buffalo once a year, DC about three times a year and those are about the only cities worth visiting that are semi close. NYC is about 7 hours away and Philly is about 5, DC is only 3.5 hours away.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 10:30 PM

Try to get to San Francisco once or twice a year. Wouldn't mind an annual visit to Seattle & one to Denver. Otherwise, no.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Maybe you begin to appreciate these things more when you live in a relatively isolated corner of the world.
Living in another even more isolated city (Denver) most non-mountain trips involve getting on a plane. Luckily there are frequent and usually pretty reasonably priced air connections to every major city in the US (and lots of smaller ones too) and a handful of international cities. Unlike parts of the country where you can drive or take a train to a bunch of cities you can't really do that here but you do have a lot of outdoor recreation within a couple hours.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 1:53 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I work two jobs and go to school full time. I barely visit my own city anymore, let alone neighboring ones.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions