HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 2:55 PM
Person

How cool is Chicago?

Urbanlife mentioned in the Philly thread that he wished he "would have" moved there instead of wasting his time with New York. I agree that I think a lot of people waste their time with New York!

But what is cool about Chicago?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 3:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

When I went there, here are some of the things I liked:

1) Damn clean. They say the city is clean, and man, they aren't lying.
2) Great architecture with a history that is superior bar only a few cities
3) Hustle and Bustle
4) Great selection of Hotels
5) Hot girls
6) Good steakhouses houses
7) Lake Michigan is beautiful
8) In terms of the urban nature, it feels like Manhattan light. Still a melting pot, busy, but not as chaotic.
9) Midway airport is pretty decent.
10) Friendly people
11) Felt safe (Loop, Chinatown, Northside, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Logan Square)
12) I prefer the parks in Chicago to NYC. While my heart is for NYC, we can learn a thing or two.

Overall, a great place. I think best enjoyed either in the spring or fall.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 3:11 PM
BANNED

NOTHING is cool about Chicago. Chicago is boring and it sucks. Peoria is waaayyyyayyyy cooler.

New York #1. New York is the best. Chicago is a small town compared to New York. Chicago would fit inside Central Park. NYC!! People who can't handle how big and cool New York is move to Chicago because they're pussies. Chicago is for uncool pussies. The only thing that's cool about Chicago is the dirty Lake Michigan water -- actually, it's not cool, it's freezing. No wonder the beach there is full of nothing but pale, fat people. New York is full of beautiful people. New York has all of the tallest buildings in the WORLD. It's not cool to be from Chicago. The name Chicago sound like some sort of nasty skin condition. New York is the only city that matters in the USA. No one cares about Chicago because it's not cool like NYC.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 3:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Well, there goes this thread.

Only 16 minutes into its inception and the nuke just hit.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
NOTHING is cool about Chicago. Chicago is boring and it sucks. Peoria is waaayyyyayyyy cooler.

New York #1. New York is the best. Chicago is a small town compared to New York. Chicago would fit inside Central Park. NYC!! People who can't handle how big and cool New York is move to Chicago because they're pussies. Chicago is for uncool pussies. The only thing that's cool about Chicago is the dirty Lake Michigan water -- actually, it's not cool, it's freezing. No wonder the beach there is full of nothing but pale, fat people. New York is full of beautiful people. New York has all of the tallest buildings in the WORLD. It's not cool to be from Chicago. The name Chicago sound like some sort of nasty skin condition. New York is the only city that matters in the USA. No one cares about Chicago because it's not cool like NYC.
NYC doesn't hold a candle to Bakersfield, CA. Word up.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 3:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
NYC doesn't hold a candle to Bakersfield, CA. Word up.
Damn, you got me there.

NYC can't compete with a city that could inspire something like this:

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Urbanlife mentioned in the Philly thread that he wished he "would have" moved there instead of wasting his time with New York. I agree that I think a lot of people waste their time with New York!

But what is cool about Chicago?
Not everyone feels that way.

"Chicago billionaire Ken Griffin's wife wants to raise their children in New York because she finds the Windy City "unsophisticated," according to a court filing Friday in their divorce."

http://www.chicagochronicle.com/index.php/sid/230456501

lol

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 4:40 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Unsophisticated eh, must mean the wife bonuses are smaller in Chicago..

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 4:44 PM

Amazingly cool, incredibly clean, on an incredible fresh water lake, you literally cant go wrong with Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 4:52 PM

I spent two years in Chicago, it has upsides and downsides. It is great to be in Chicago in summer, but awful in winter. I personally felt depressed during two winters I spent there. Also I hated the fact that Chicago is in the middle of nowhere, it takes to time to get to other cool place in US.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurkek View Post
I spent two years in Chicago, it has upsides and downsides. It is great to be in Chicago in summer, but awful in winter. I personally felt depressed during two winters I spent there. Also I hated the fact that Chicago is in the middle of nowhere, it takes to time to get to other cool place in US.
It's not in the middle of nowhere, it's only about a 4 hour drive from the coolest city in the U.S. that is Detroit. ; )

Bundle up to a loved one and light the fireplace and the winters aren't so bad, Chicago winters aren't dark and "depressing" like European winters, we still have plenty of sunlight.

It's really Chicago's only flaw, and it's a pretty minor flaw at that. The city is gorgeous, safe and relatively inexpensive compared to others. You'd be a fool to not at least check out what the city has to offer for yourself.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 5:17 PM
The City

Ken Griffin's wife is a swiveling whore. If you've followed the divorce case, she is an evil, money hungry leech who is doing everything she can do undo her prenup and gain as much profit for herself from this divorce as she can. It's amazing, Griffith is surely a bright guy but must not have known he was marrying someone that evil.

Anyhow, Chicago's "coolness" will only become more evident over time. People who don't realize this yet are just foolish. But Jan-March does kind of suck.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 6:01 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

*A very low douche factor relative to most big US cities
*Perhaps America's best architectural collection
*Fantastic downtown
*Great neighborhoods all along the urban-suburban scale
*Great public transportation
*Extensive, beautiful lakefront park lands
*Good food
*Good shopping
*Top-notch high culture
*A nightclub/bar (or four) for every taste
*I've been told by several people I trust that it's a great city in which to bike

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 7:49 PM

Part of Chicago's allure is its history. For a relatively young city, it's colourful past informs a lot of its reputation. Perhaps this is more true for those of us outside of the US who have our conception of the city inspired by the American film industry juggernaut. It helps that the whole bland Midwest thing doesn't really resonate internationally (at least in the same way that, for example, the stereotypes surrounding the backwards South seep out across borders).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post

This is great.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 9:20 PM
Future God

*Bars and clubs open until 5AM

*BYOB

*unpretentious

*festivals

*Sharkula

Video Link

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 10:04 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

If you took a city the scale of New York and populated it with Philadelphians you'd get Chicago.

It felt so much like home to me in all of the small ways it was scary.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 10:27 PM

chris08876, everything on your list is spot on except for "Hot girls". If one of the things Chicago is best known for is hot girls then where does that leave the other city's like LA and Miami?
The Hudson rivers water is hell compared to lake Michigan's water, Private Dick... Your username fits you very well. If your opinions are based upon stupid crap like that then you should move to Shanghai because it is the biggest city in the world and city's like New York compared to it...Don't matter.

What is cool about Chicago is that it is the third largest city in the whole country and was on one of my favorite movies, Ferris buelers day off. Its hockey team wins to much Stanley cups, People say it rains lots in Seattle but it is actually known to rain more in Chicago and yet no one ever says it. Do you know where skyscrapers were invented.... Chicago.

Everyone please remember, just because it is smaller of a city then New York, that is an invalid reason to hate on it. You might as well make fun of little people too.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 10:31 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labridniv View Post
What is cool about Chicago is that it is the third largest city in the whole country and was on one of my favorite movies, Ferris buelers day off. Its hockey team wins to much Stanley cups, People say it rains lots in Seattle but it is actually known to rain more in Chicago and yet no one ever says it. Do you know where skyscrapers were invented.... Chicago.

Yes. These are definitely Chicago's best features. Especially the sneaky rain.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 10:31 PM
them bones

Chicago is so cool you could stand on the roof of the Sears Tower and piss on any building in New York...if you were so inclined and had really good distance and accuracy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions