HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 2:21 AM
Austinite

Arrow Mueller Redevelopment Update Thread

The Mueller airport redevelopment has kicked off construction of the first of its residential component. Having been months since I last visited, I thought I'd drive around and get some shots of the new homes popping up near Airport Blvd...

http://www.muelleraustin.com

As most here know, the new Dell Children's Medical Center has become a dominant anchor of the development.

The new lake park, along Airport Blvd. The old airport control tower remains as an homage to its past

The new Ronald McDonald House

Seton Hospital's regional headquarters building is under construction

The homes...

The ever present control tower

The area pictured is represented in this map:

http://www.muelleraustin.com/homes/lot_map.php

Ongoing construction continues east toward the old terminal complex. There are even a couple overhead signs left over

The control tower, all by its lonesome

The Lake

Simmons Vedder and Company's "Mosaic" apartment development, about 1 block off Airport Blvd

As an added bonus, there are some interesting views of downtown, popping up here and there

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Dec 20, 2012 at 5:06 AM. Reason: Added green arrow thread marker for easy finding

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 3:07 AM

That place is going to be awesome in a 10 years or so when everything is built out and matured some.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 4:58 AM

We did the same thing today! I will say that I was very pleasantly surprised by several things in the development. While stylistically the development is not our "cup of tea".... we really understood the mass appeal of the design. We talked to sereral folks we knew and heard their very positive response to what they were seeing. I also liked the fact that there was a wide range of builders and price range. Land use was as good as I think you will see in that type of development. Homes were really on the least of mount of land possible... and then great amounts of room was used for green space, trails, playscapes, lakes.

Almost everything out there that has been build has been sold! Looks like it is being received very well.

Of course I would have loved to have seen a more modern option in the designs, but hey, I am a minority. These homes have really hit the target for the mass market of the moment.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 7:22 AM
Meh

Great pics. This whole process of redeveloping the old airport has been very interesting. And I think it is such a cool thing that they left the old control tower. Gotta leave it, it's basically an Austin landmark. How cool is it that you can see it from some of those neighborhood streets.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 12:40 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Great pics. This whole process of redeveloping the old airport has been very interesting. And I think it is such a cool thing that they left the old control tower. Gotta leave it, it's basically an Austin landmark. How cool is it that you can see it from some of those neighborhood streets.
Its intriguing to speculate what might occupy the former control tower. I'd love to see the top floor opened to the public in some form... as an observation deck or a restaurant. The lower floors were occupied by FAA offices as I recall.. there's possibilities there too.

I'm also curious about the base of the tower, where the terminal building used to be. Perhaps a new structure will surround the bare concrete base? The project maps seem to indicate the tower will be situated within a park setting. I guess we'll see. Lots of opportunities there.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 1:40 PM

I like the way that neighborhood looks.

What's the average size and price of those homes?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 1:53 PM
Meh

I am really hoping for an observation deck. The tower isn't all that tall, only 86 feet, but because of how close it is to downtown, the views would be good. I would imagine you'd be able to just about any highrise up and down I-35 and within Central Austin. If a park is going to surround it, they might just be planning an observation deck for it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
I like the way that neighborhood looks.

What's the average size and price of those homes?
Hugh range! Look at the Mueller site for all details. As part of the land deal, 25% are "affordable" housing. As low as $100,000. THe "David Weekley" homes are the most economical, starting in the upper 2oo's for 1500 and up sq ft. On the upper end.... there are some 3000+ sq ft homes that start at $700,000. These are in the minority. (But you can tell the difference in quality of construction, and finishes.) Everything felt solid, though materials varied widely. Check out the site at

muelleraustin.com

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 3:44 PM

I've been out to Mueller a bunch of times in the past months. I _REALLY_ want to move there. The only problem is that you can't really get in there without about $260k. That's for a pretty small crappy home. If you want anything fairly nice you need to have at the minimum $300k. What's interesting though is that if you go out to Kyle, Buda, Cedar Park, or Round Rock you can get a house twice the size for the same amount of money. Must be location, because there are no good ways of getting into town from the suburbs (M1EK can attest to this I'm sure!)

I've talked to a couple of the builders out there and their phase 1 stuff sold out without people even looking at the floor plans. As a result they are increasing their prices by 10% pretty much across the board! I'm hoping by the time I'm ready to buy the market there will cool off and prices will come down. I really want the apartments to be ready there by the time my lease runs out so I can give the neighborhood a test drive for a few months and save a bit more cash to get the house I want there.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 3:45 PM
James

This place looks awesome! I love how the homes all vary from one another, with differences rather than all cookie cutter designs. It is an awesome neighborhood right in the middle of the city.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
This place looks awesome! I love how the homes all vary from one another, with differences rather than all cookie cutter designs. It is an awesome neighborhood right in the middle of the city.
Hence the prices are so dang high! AH!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Hugh range! Look at the Mueller site for all details. As part of the land deal, 25% are "affordable" housing. As low as $100,000. THe "David Weekley" homes are the most economical, starting in the upper 2oo's for 1500 and up sq ft. On the upper end.... there are some 3000+ sq ft homes that start at $700,000. These are in the minority. (But you can tell the difference in quality of construction, and finishes.) Everything felt solid, though materials varied widely. Check out the site at

muelleraustin.com
Thanks for that. I actually just bought a house in suburbia but wanted to see if these were comparable in price. Not so much but still nice. Seems they are "shotgun" style in the price range I was looking at.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:50 PM
passion for patterns

It's a bit too suburban for my taste, but better than what could be there. It's a lot like Stapleton.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 7:11 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

It looks like a great development.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 7:37 PM

Are there no garages in the houses?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
The models/floorplans I browsed had them in the back. On the map you can see a little alley between houses.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 8:07 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
The models/floorplans I browsed had them in the back. On the map you can see a little alley between houses.
Yes, the garages are in the back of the homes, facing rear, one-way alleys. There are now several 'traditional' style neighborhoods as this out in the 'burbs. Forest Oaks and Cedar Park Town Center come to mind, among many others in Kyle, Buda, Pflugerville, Georgetown and Round Rock. The Mueller is superior to all, in my opinion.

You can see garages in this pic, across the lake:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 9:30 PM
Meh

I do like the houses. The stone work is nice, and I like the windows.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Actually Yes, They all have double car garages on the back of the property that open to alleys. Like that a lot. Makes the designs not have the first suburban mistake of having a garage be the focus of the front of a house!

Oooops just saw Mopacs answered this.

I took some time to see what the average house price is in Austin right now.... couldn't find it.... know it is in the mid 200's, right? Does anyone know how the prices at Mueller compare to the Austin average? Seems like they stacked the deck with a good bit of properties that are at or below the average in Austin. But heck. with that location, I couldn't imagine expecting to find things much below the average, cause the average property does not have that location! ( well, I guess if you want be close to the center of town!)

Last edited by MichaelB; Apr 21, 2008 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 12:58 AM

Ugh, I hate when the garages are in the back of the houses. The alleys are usually too small and can cause more of a traffic jam than if they were on the roads.

Anyhow, it looks like a great development. I like that they kept the control tower, and I also hope they turn it into an observation deck or something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin