HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:15 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It's worth keeping an eye on this lot, whether or not this project itself is going forward. We can rename the thread once a real project is announced down the line.
May I suggest renaming the tread to the lot's name? It will be a long time before anything is built on this site. And from what I understand, Le Meridien is not pleased that their name is tied to some design firm's "dream."

Should this be a real project and Le Meridien is involved...all I can say for sure is that they are not happy about their brand being tied to it (for now).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 11:09 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
May I suggest renaming the tread to the lot's name? It will be a long time before anything is built on this site. And from what I understand, Le Meridien is not pleased that their name is tied to some design firm's "dream."

Should this be a real project and Le Meridien is involved...all I can say for sure is that they are not happy about their brand being tied to it (for now).
I actually agree. Renaming the thread for now is probably smart.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 3:28 PM

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 5:29 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
They'll be moved... There's no way that this is just going to stop mid-construction for a few small houses.

Edit: see next page's newer info.

Last edited by wwmiv; Feb 29, 2016 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
They'll be moved... There's no way that this is just going to stop mid-construction for a few small houses.
Why do they have to be moved exactly? I don't understand the motive. It's my understanding that the convention center owns the historic house that's already been moved there. It's not like these other two house are obstructing construction. What is the purpose. Is it because Manchester wants to clear the land so that the convention center will eventually expand over Red River (which would certainly bode well for the Fairmont) or what's the deal. That would be absurd if they halted construction over this. What an eyesore that would be for years and what a sunk cost for them. There's no way.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 6:09 PM
Meh

I don't see why they don't build a new fire station downtown and demolish the one that's at Brush Square. Move some of these old houses to our old square parks - Brush Square, Republic Square and Waterloo Park. Woolridge might not be doable because of the elevation changes, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Why do they have to be moved exactly? I don't understand the motive. It's my understanding that the convention center owns the historic house that's already been moved there. It's not like these other two house are obstructing construction. What is the purpose. Is it because Manchester wants to clear the land so that the convention center will eventually expand over Red River (which would certainly bode well for the Fairmont) or what's the deal. That would be absurd if they halted construction over this. What an eyesore that would be for years and what a sunk cost for them. There's no way.
I may be wrong about this, but maybe their concern is that the skybridge crossing Red River will be obstructed by them?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I may be wrong about this, but maybe their concern is that the skybridge crossing Red River will be obstructed by them?
If that's the case, then if the skybridge isn't build I won't be too upset tbqh. Generally not a fan of skybridges. I think they're too often designed to be tacky and don't look properly integrated enough for my tastes.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Update to this article:

"This story has been significantly corrected. The project in question is not, in fact, the Fairmont hotel, but an adjacent project being developed in conjunction with the hotel and the redevelopment of Palm Park."

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 8:25 PM
Meh

Cool aerial drone video showing the bats coming out (they're back). This also shows the Fairmont well.

https://www.facebook.com/overaustin/?fref=nf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 8:45 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 9:03 PM

Um. Um. Um. Um. I just orgasmed.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 9:07 PM

I have 100% faith that if the houses are moved (and I think they will be) that Manchester will go through with a project here. Whether that project is what's depicted in those renderings is another thing altogether (it could be reduced in height... again), but I'm inclined to believe that we'll end up getting something bigger than the Fairmont.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 9:09 PM

That's the site of the Le Meridean proposal. I guess that one's not going to happen now.

This one looks to be 45-storyish and over 500'.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That's the site of the Le Meridean proposal. I guess that one's not going to happen now.

That could be the Le Meridean Hotel actually, if Manchester is now involved. The rendering shows 38 floors with a crown at the top. There are, I think, 3 podium floors (typical of convention center hotels of this size), a transitional floor with balconies, 17 floors in the next section up (probably the hotel), then it looks like 1 floor of amenities, and then another 16 floors of what are likely residences. However, given the perspective and how much taller it seems than the Fairmont, I'd say it could be 580 or 590. It reminds me of a cross between the Stratus proposal for Greenwater, etc., Waller Creek Place, and 21C's better iteration.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 9:25 PM

Edit

Last edited by JoninATX; Mar 1, 2016 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I don't see Manchester just up an abandoning it's current site. I do see them buying up property to build another hotel, but I do see them finishing up The Fairmont.
Huh?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I do see them buying up property to build another hotel, but I do see them finishing up The Fairmont.
Bro... the "I do see them..." part is what we're all talking about after the article linked above.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 9:32 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

That building is pushing 600'. BUT...it's "conceptual." This is Manchester we're talking about. They have a proven they'll sell a grand vision and then dumb it down (see current Fairmont Austin design).

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 9:36 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
That building is pushing 600'. BUT...it's "conceptual." This is Manchester we're talking about. They have a proven they'll sell a grand vision and then dumb it down (see current Fairmont Austin design).
Nonetheless...a very intriguing design. I'm excited about the potential.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx-adam View Post
Update to this article:

"This story has been significantly corrected. The project in question is not, in fact, the Fairmont hotel, but an adjacent project being developed in conjunction with the hotel and the redevelopment of Palm Park."
Any more details on that project? Sounds like redevelopment of that adjacent lot that the convention center is spearheading.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin