HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 5:35 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The building itself isn't bad, it's just uninspired IMO. That's not the worst thing in the world except this will be the tallest, most prominent building in the city for the foreseeable future (certainly in my lifetime). There is this one chance to make it something beautiful and iconic, but instead it will be bland and safe. And knowing the history, to me it will always seem stripped down to a certain extent. But that's just my personal perspective. We're all little blips on the timeline of history and someday a hundred or so years from now this might just be another tower among other taller ones. Life will go on and San Francisco will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I agree, but did you ever think SF would build a 1070 footer anytime soon?

Plus it raises the bar for the city heightwise and may eliminate some NIMBY sentiments, as in SF could see a building taller than this in the future, it's just a start.

The Renzo piano towers are dead, but is there still a possibility of high towers on those sites? Maybe they could be higher than this one?
Since the Transbay project came up I've expected it, but not until the next boom cycle (whenever that might be). As to your other points, historically the opposite happens. A new tallest will just make the anti-highrise crowd that much more determined and entrenched in their views. Generally, a new tower gets proposed, then it gets chopped up, downsized and hammered by every NIMBY group in the city. The Pyramid was supposed to be over 1000' and Embarcadero 4 was supposed to be about 800'. It happens to almost every proposal. I don't see this building changing that dynamic for the better.

Nothing else will be taller than this for as long as I can realistically envision. Things can always change, but this should be the tallest for a very long time.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 5:44 PM

If I were a betting man, I'd bet against this thing ever being built to that height.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 5:59 PM

Why is everybody so surprised that the tower is now 1,070 feet? I thought that had been common knowledge for at least several months, if not longer...though I guess it may have been known mostly just with the people actively following the project.

I'm glad this isn't dead and I'm still liking it despite the decrease in height (still would be SF's first 1,000'+ highrise), though I'm also one of the few who preferred Pelli's design over the SOM design. It's not that I didn't like the SOM tower, but it struck me as a design that would possibly look outdated and maybe even a bit cheesy, 20 or 50 years down the line, especially considering how much taller than the surrounding towers the Transit Tower would be (thus causing it to be extra visible). The Pelli tower is a bit more boring and conservative in design, I can't deny that, but it seems to fit better with the existing skyline SF has to work with, while pushing the height envelope at the same time. And despite the relative "boringness" of the Pelli tower compared to the SOM one, it still seems pretty elegant and good-looking to me, especially in a city like SF where many skyscrapers are bland boxes from the 60s-80s. Another bonus is that by staying with a relatively conservative and somewhat shorter design, the wrath of dormant NIMBYs is less likely to be incurred upon completion.

One thing I'm excited about is the fact that if this does get built, we may be more likely to get additional buildings in the sub 1,000 foot range, but hopefully taller than the current 400-600 ft. plateau the city has going on. I'd love to see a few more 600+, 700+, and hopefully 800+ towers (including the 915 ft./640 ft. SOM proposal, and 700 ft. Heller Manus proposal) get built, which would provide new, shorter, peaks that would help fill in the gaps between the three main peaks of the Transamerica/Bank of America buildings, the Transit Tower, and One Rincon Hill.

We may not get another supertall for a long, long time, but I'm OK with that as long as this and a couple more 600-900 footers get built in addition to the more commonly proposed/built 200-400 foot towers. SF isn't a gigantic city (especially in terms of physical size), just a big one...and we already have a shit ton of highrises built and more planned, tons of office space built and planned (and tons more office space elsewhere in the region in SJ, Oakland, and the suburbs), lots of residential units recently built/under construction and planned (though we could always use tons more, especially affordable units) and a beautiful backdrop for it all regardless. Meaning, when it comes to economic growth, as well as skyscraper dick-measuring/civic pride type stuff, a single super tall seems perfectly acceptable to me for SF, at least at this point in time and probably the near future too. Plus, unless we get some decent infill in the 600+ foot range, having more super talls will just mean having yet more awkward looking peaks that are far taller than any surrounding buildings, unless they manage to get built right near the transit tower or Transamerica/BofA.

And fifteen years ago just the thought of this would have been insane, so all things considered I'm quite happy with the way things are going. I just hope this proposal stays alive and has no more height chopped off of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
They can't. The FAA won't allow it due to the proxmity to the airport and a law from the 1970's also prevents it because no building can create shadows on parks and plazas.
I think you may be confusing SF and SJ. San Jose has FAA mandated height limits in the downtown of about 300 ft., due to the location of the airport, which is just north of DT SJ. SF's heights limits, as mentioned, are in large part because of NIMBYs complaining about their pretty views being blocked, so-called "Manahattanization", etc, etc (you know, the weird types who view SF as a quaint fishing village or some crap). Also, some anti-gentrification stuff was part of it, which as I understand actually helped save both the Tenderloin and Chinatown from getting drastically altered in the name of urban renewal (and racism) and the expansion of the downtown highrise core (which is what happened to a former Filipino area that was adjacent to downtown SF/Chinatown/North beach, as well as a huge chunk of the Fillmore district, aka the former "Harlem of the West")...so their is a good side to some of the NIMBY stuff at times. Can you imagine if both Chinatown and the Tenderloin were like Union Square and the financial district instead of what they currently are? Or worse, if they had been turned into a bunch of crime-ridden public housing projects, such as what happened in the Fillmore? It would have been quite a hit to SF's culture and lower class population.

That shadow stuff is relatively new though, If I'm not mistaken, and it's pretty dumb. The downtown area should be exempt, it's pretty ridiculous how some people expect parks in the middle of a sea of highrises (one of the largest highrise seas in one of the largest downtowns in the nation, no less) to be 100% shadow-free, especially seeing as 99% of those parks aren't exactly used for sunbathing or family picnics or anything like that.

I'm all for height limits in many areas, in the name of preservation of feel/rents/views/etc, as long as they aren't ridiculous (I'd like to see more 100-300 foot residential buildings in denser neighborhoods away from downtown, for example, including way more affordable stuff, but I'm also all for keeping many or most areas dominated by single family homes in the exact same form as they are) but existing downtown highrise areas, such as the Financial district, Union Square, SOMA, and Civic Center, should be allowed to build out to their full potential, or at least very close to it (and there's still plenty of potential in those areas, especially SOMA). Same goes for the tenderloin to an extent, but I would hate to see one of SF's remaining lower class areas get heavily gentrified, so I'm hesitant on that if it doesn't include lots of affordable housing. I wouldn't mind seeing more towers on Russian Hill, Nob Hill, Pacific Heights, or Cathedral Hill either, which are also existing highrise areas. Some more in SOMA/South Beach/Mission Bay, in the area south of Rincon Hill would be nice too (even if they're shorter ones), in order to soften the abrupt skyline drop-off from One Rincon hill. Basically I feel it's very possible for SF to have a much taller and more built-out skyline (and thus a larger population, more business, more money, etc, etc), while at the same time retaining it's many small-scale, historic, densely packed, lowrise and midrise areas, which some people seem to think is impossible for some reason (though many of those naysayers just want to keep their nice views, I think). So yeah, hopefully Sue Hestor and all the members of NIMBY groups such as the "telegraph hill dwellers" fall off a mountain or something, and SF can stop getting held back so much.

/end tangent

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:19 PM
BANNED

I'm not from SF, but as a tourist, the Tenderloin is disgusting. What a waste of prime city center real estate. There is anti-gentrification and then there is just pure lunacy. A bunch of my friends from Europe were also disgusted and appalled that such a central location would be allowed to degenerate into poverty and crime just blocks from a well to do shopping area.

Please, redevelop that ugly area for the love of God! It really detracts from the 'beautiful city' image that your city likes to portray to the world. Surely such land is worth billions for development rights and could be turned into an interesting extension to your central retail core? Isn't there other less central areas where the homeless, druggies can move to?

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM. That's a load of CROCK argument. This is capitalism and economic reality and we live in a capitalist society. Land value = location. This is too good of a location to not milk for all the value that is there. When people bring up race as an argument against gentrification, I cringe. This is more class and economics than race. You can't afford the land you are on, tough luck, this is a capitalist society and money talks. We all have to just accept it, whatever race we are. If one race feels like they are being displaced unfairly, they should buck up and change their ways so they can afford to keep their property. Using race as a crutch is a recipe for continued failure.

Last edited by aquablue; Mar 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I'm not from SF, but as a tourist, the Tenderloin is disgusting. What a waste of prime city center real estate. There is anti-gentrification and then there is just pure lunacy. A bunch of my friends from Europe were also disgusted and appalled that such a central location would be allowed to degenerate into poverty and crime just blocks from a well to do shopping area.

Please, redevelop that ugly area for the love of God! It really detracts from the 'beautiful city' image that your city likes to portray to the world. Surely such land is worth billions for development rights and could be turned into an interesting extension to your central retail core? Isn't there other less central areas where the homeless, druggies can move to?

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM. That's a load of CROCK argument. This is capitalism and economic reality and we live in a capitalist society. Land value = location. This is too good of a location to not milk for all the value that is there. When people bring up race as an argument against gentrification, I cringe. This is more class and economics than race. You can't afford the land you are on, tough luck, this is a capitalist society and money talks. We all have to just accept it, whatever race we are. If one race feels like they are being displaced unfairly, they should buck up and change their ways so they can afford to keep their property. Using race as a crutch is a recipe for continued failure.
Anti-gentrification isn't disgusting if it means you get to keep less fortunate people in their homes, and keep historic areas from being destroyed. As with anything, moderation or lack thereof plays a part in how good or bad it can be. Opposing any kind of improvement and trying to concentrate every single social service or undesirable thing in one single area, is stupid...but completely opposing any kind of aid to poorer people and the retention of the cultural and structural fabric of the city is also stupid.

Plus the tenderloin isn't simply a "disgusting place". Yeah, it can be...it's a poor neighborhood with a high crime rate. But if it were completely gentrified we wouldn't have as many lower class people or as much cheap housing in the city (there goes "little Saigon", along with a large chunk of SF's Vietnamese population for example), or as many cheap restaurants or historic bars, or as many old historic apartment buildings. And those are all things I appreciate. I firmly believe that not everything needs to be completely gentrified and made ultra "perfect" and expensive, and inaccessible to non-rich people. And I like the fact that the presence of the tenderloin means that downtown SF is one of the most economically and racially diverse downtowns in the nation.

And i mentioned racism only in reference to the urban renewal of the Fillmore, and I'm guessing to a lesser extent Manilatown, which were demolished in the 1950s-1970s after being declared "slums" (conveniently: the Fillmore was SF's first majority black neighborhood ever, in a city that 2 decades earlier had barely any black people. The fillmore was actually the most prosperous and famous black area as well, and was filled with black-owned Victorian homes, businesses, night clubs, etc...but It lasted only about 10 years before getting declared a slum and "renewed"). You better believe racism played a part in those decisions back then (though I agree that money was most likely by far and away the first thing on the mind of the city, but back then "undesirable" races being around meant lower land values, so it's all connected anyways. Nowadays, I'm sure it's all about the money though, and racism plays little to no part).

But this shit is way off topic now. Back to the tower: PLEASE GET BUILT TOWER, THANK YOU.

Last edited by tech12; Mar 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Anti-gentrification isn't disgusting if it means you get to keep less fortunate people in their homes, and keep historic areas from being destroyed. As with anything, moderation or lack thereof plays a part in how good or bad it can be. Opposing any kind of improvement and trying to concentrate every single social service or undesirable thing in one single area, is stupid...but completely opposing any kind of aid to poorer people and the retention of the cultural and structural fabric of the city is also stupid.

Plus the tenderloin isn't simply a "disgusting place". Yeah, it can be...it's a poor neighborhood with a high crime rate. But if it were completely gentrified we wouldn't have as many lower class people or as much cheap housing in the city (there goes "little Saigon", along with a large chunk of SF's Vietnamese population for example), or as many cheap restaurants or historic bars, or as many old historic apartment buildings. And those are all things I appreciate. I firmly believe that not everything needs to be completely gentrified and made ultra "perfect" and expensive, and inaccessible to non-rich people. And I like the fact that the presence of the tenderloin means that downtown SF is one of the most economically and racially diverse downtowns in the nation.

And i mentioned racism only in reference to the urban renewal of the Fillmore, and I'm guessing to a lesser extent Manilatown, which were demolished in the 1950s-1970s after being declared "slums" (conveniently: the Fillmore was SF's first majority black neighborhood ever, in a city that 2 decades earlier had barely any black people. The fillmore was actually the most prosperous and famous black area as well, and was filled with black-owned Victorian homes, businesses, night clubs, etc...but It lasted only about 10 years before getting "renewed"). You better believe racism played a part in those decisions back then (though I agree that money was most likely by far and away the first thing on the mind of the city. Nowadays, I'm sure it's all about the money, and racism plays little to no part).
To each his own, pal. Keeping people in their homes is not the priority in a society that is market driven. We all live on the real estate we can afford, it is a fact of the system. Location = land value. Prices shouldn't be kept artificially low to satisfy some segment of the population. I don't complain that I can't afford to live in the top locations in the country and I accept the locations that I can afford based on my acceptance of the system. This should apply to everyone.

Although I prefer the pure market driven approach to real estate, there are compromises. You don't have to make an area 'ultra-rich' to make it safe and welcoming. There are ways to develop mixed class areas that are diverse. Having a crime infested district right in the middle of your downtown is just ridiculous waste of resources and sends the wrong message to tourists and investors.

Also, historic preservation and zoning ordinance can protect old apartment buildings from being torn down. Instead, they can be retrofitted and saved.

I am all for multiculturalism and having affordable housing to keep a city lively, but not if it means having a prime center city piece of real estate turning into an ugly crime infested no-go zone. That is the worst thing possible for the city's long term health.

Just modify the are, it isn't working. Crime in your downtown area must be eradicated. Land values must be allowed to appreciate and buildings retrofitted. The immigrants will find their own niche, they always do. Downtown SF land is too valuable to be allowed to decay and not to be utilized to its highest potential in bringing in the most revenue to the city. The city is insane to waste such an opportunity.

Last edited by aquablue; Mar 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 7:38 PM
testify

wow, cuca, thanks for that rendering from the iconic view at the top of dolores. amazing.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 8:31 PM
Khurram Parvaz

The current design ABSOLUTELY rocks. It is NOT a bad design, not at ALL. But to know something better (as with 432 Park Ave) could've been built, is a bit sad, and depressing.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 9:09 PM

Is J Church still around? Can we update the title page and images with the new stats and renderings?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
A very large photo from this week of the proposed site of the tower and transit terminal:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pbo31/6...n/photostream/

That is stunning picture, I havent seen any shots from Rincon before.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 11:56 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I disagree with you. California has a lot of identity and one of them is unequivocally skyscrapers. Some of the first skyscrapers in the world were built right here in San Francisco. When visitors (and even locals) think of San Francisco they think of the Victorian houses with the skyline in the background, they don't think of Ocean Beach.
California is a lot more like the east coast than people here would like to admit. Sacramento's skyline looks like New Haven, Conn. San Diego's skyline reminds me of Boston. Los Angeles' skyline is like Brooklyn/ Long Island. San Francisco's skyline is very Manhattan. I can't think of any other state with as many skyscraper cities as California.
Not really. There really are only about three really iconic towers in this state that the general public outside California might recognize: LA City Hall, the Capitol Records Building, and the Transamerica Pyramid. For as many towers as there are in this state, one would think there would be more truly eye-catching towers...but alas there are not.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Maybe Roadcruiser1 is confusing San Francisco with San Jose or San Diego? All our cities look the same to him.
I didn't. My aunt lives in San Francisco and I know what the city looks like. This tower was proposed to rise to 1,200 feet at one point until the FAA complained and it was REDUCED TO 1,070 FEET. Again the FAA not me. This is a response to everyone else too so it's not just you.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:36 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
I didn't. My aunt lives in San Francisco and I know what the city looks like. This tower was proposed to rise to 1,200 feet at one point until the FAA complained and it was REDUCED TO 1,070 FEET. Again the FAA not me. This is a response to everyone else too so it's not just you.

Yea that is sad, but maybe it will pave the way for taller buildings in the future, you know help get over the NIMBYism.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 3:21 AM
them bones

Quote:
I'm calling BS. Source for this?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 5:20 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I've followed this pretty closely and the FAA has never been mentioned publicly by anyone involved. I think you are mistaken.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 5:40 AM

The FAA was never involved with this. Period.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
BANNED

I love SF, but it has a lame skyline. Other than the TA pyramid, its skyscrapers suck.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ I love the SF skyline. But I can agree that the skyline is a one hit wonder. You look at it and it's not memorable, but it is beautiful. The SOM proposal would've MADE the SF skyline.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 3:48 PM

I think pretty much everyone agrees that the current proposal is not exactly exciting, but it's what we have, love it or not. That said, it's not bad, it's attractive in fact, and looks better now that it did when the height was first reduced. It will help with the uniform color of the skyline, it will help with the uniform height (other than the Transamerica and Bank of America tower), and these are both good things. True, if someone came up with a more interesting, iconic proposal, that would be great, but it's not happening.

The tallest building in a city is not always its most iconic.

The FAA having something to do with the height being reduced? I think you're mistaken.

As for the anti Tenderloin sentiment, this isn't the place.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 3:56 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
The building itself isn't bad, it's just uninspired IMO. That's not the worst thing in the world except this will be the tallest, most prominent building in the city for the foreseeable future (certainly in my lifetime). There is this one chance to make it something beautiful and iconic, but instead it will be bland and safe. And knowing the history, to me it will always seem stripped down to a certain extent. But that's just my personal perspective. We're all little blips on the timeline of history and someday a hundred or so years from now this might just be another tower among other taller ones. Life will go on and San Francisco will be fine.

Since the Transbay project came up I've expected it, but not until the next boom cycle (whenever that might be). As to your other points, historically the opposite happens. A new tallest will just make the anti-highrise crowd that much more determined and entrenched in their views. Generally, a new tower gets proposed, then it gets chopped up, downsized and hammered by every NIMBY group in the city. The Pyramid was supposed to be over 1000' and Embarcadero 4 was supposed to be about 800'. It happens to almost every proposal. I don't see this building changing that dynamic for the better.

Nothing else will be taller than this for as long as I can realistically envision. Things can always change, but this should be the tallest for a very long time.

Tallest building in your lifetime? How can anyone make that prediction (Unless you're already 85)

I just don't see how it could make NIMBYism worse, the NIMBYs have lost if a 1070 foot tower goes up, then maybe someone will be inspired to build a taller building after. No one would have ever thought an 850 footer would go up in OK city but it did, so you can't realistically predict the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development