HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 7:56 PM

Smile

^My company is bidding the work to excavate, shore, and construct the "train box" portion of the Transbay Terminal - basically everything below ground level. I'm not sure if demo of the existing structure is included (it's not the type of work we usually do), as I'm currently assigned to a different project.

Initial "train box" proposal packages are due later this month, which may be used to limit the number of qualified applicants, and the job bids in September. Work typically begins a month or two after the bid date (I'm not sure of the exact time frame of this contract, however).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 4:35 AM

For those interested in keeping updated on construction activity for the Transbay Transit Center - Phase I see:
http://www.webcor.com/current.html?proj_id=263

Related links are given in the page above. Of particular interest regarding construction updates can be found here:
http://transbaycenter.org/constructi...rrent-activity

...Also check here:
http://www.webcor-obayashi.com/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 4:04 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
For those interested in keeping updated on construction activity for the Transbay Transit Center - Phase I see:
http://www.webcor.com/current.html?proj_id=263

Related links are given in the page above. Of particular interest regarding construction updates can be found here:
http://transbaycenter.org/constructi...rrent-activity

...Also check here:
http://www.webcor-obayashi.com/
Thanks for those links! I have to admit, I'm getting pretty excited that we're getting closer and closer to seeing this start up. I've gone ahead and bookmarked the pages so I can check frequently and see any changes. This is great news for SF

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 4:31 AM
Get me out of here

Transbay Parking Lot Getting Sifted Through By Archaeologists

As some of you familiar with urban construction projects may know, one of the first steps in building something new in a city like ours is bringing in the archaeologists. Today, digging begins in the parking lot behind the existing Transbay Terminal, marking one of the beginning stages of the new Transbay center project, and archaeologists will spend the next couple of months sifting through the land there to make sure there aren't any important historic (or pre-historic!) items buried underneath.

The temporary terminal on the block between Beale, Main, Howard and Folsom opens August 7. The massive Transbay project, including S.F.'s first legitimately tall building, is expected to be done sometime around 2018, give or take.

Article Here: http://sfist.com/2010/07/12/transbay...ing_sifted.php

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 7:05 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantw View Post
As some of you familiar with urban construction projects may know, one of the first steps in building something new in a city like ours is bringing in the archaeologists. Today, digging begins in the parking lot behind the existing Transbay Terminal, marking one of the beginning stages of the new Transbay center project, and archaeologists will spend the next couple of months sifting through the land there to make sure there aren't any important historic (or pre-historic!) items buried underneath.

The temporary terminal on the block between Beale, Main, Howard and Folsom opens August 7. The massive Transbay project, including S.F.'s first legitimately tall building, is expected to be done sometime around 2018, give or take.

Article Here: http://sfist.com/2010/07/12/transbay...ing_sifted.php
This is really cool! I can only imagine the things that might be hidden under there. It is after all, a huge piece of land, and I'm sure they'll be excavating pretty deep for the train box and so. I was thinking maybe they'd find some sort of old remains from fishing boats, but I'm not sure if the original shore reached that far inland

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:09 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The eastern half of it did. I found this map with the original shoreline superimposed over today's grid so you can see pretty much exactly what used to be bay. Lots of potential for Ohlone artifacts as well.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Funding fears won't delay transbay transit work

Despite concerns that the sagging real estate market and the state budget crisis could leave the Transbay Transit Center underfunded, transportation officials plan to forge ahead with the $1.6 billion project.

The existing terminal will shut down in the wee hours of Aug. 7, and five transit agencies and Greyhound will move their buses about a block away to an $18 million temporary terminal that will serve as the main downtown transit center for an estimated seven years. Demolition of the Transbay Terminal, which opened in 1939, will start a few days later and include the ramps to Interstate 80.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAUT1EDQJN.DTL

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:18 PM
Everywhere all at once

If this is built exactly as envisioned in that rendering, let's just say it is a place I absolutely need to step inside at some point in my life. Absolutely humbling, and so uplifting at the same time. How I love my transit buildings!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:58 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
The eastern half of it did. I found this map with the original shoreline superimposed over today's grid so you can see pretty much exactly what used to be bay. Lots of potential for Ohlone artifacts as well.
Wow, that's amazing to see just how much has been filled in. The entire NE and E shores are pretty much man-made. Thanks for that map

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 1:01 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Hard to believe almost everything from Candlestick to the Presidio is fill. You're welcome!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 12:56 AM

I was dissapointed when SOM was not chosen but I have to say I like the new renderings. The original renderings were kind of tacky and reminded me more of a suburban shopping mall or office park. The SOM design really had a grand rail terminal feel to it because of the large space and roof. The new design does look more like a rail terminal than the originals.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Mayor urges homeless to leave Transbay Terminal

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom didn't get the warmest reception Friday morning when he approached a homeless encampment under a bus overpass for the soon-to-be-demolished Transbay Terminal.

It's part of a final push by city officials to find homes for about 30 die-hards who have used the Transbay Terminal and its web of overpasses as a shelter for years, repeatedly resisting the city's stepped-up efforts to get them into transitional housing.

Calling the Transbay Terminal home won't be an option in a week. That's when demolition is scheduled to start on the dank and graffitied bus terminal at First and Mission streets to make way for a gleaming hub for commuter trains, high-speed rail and buses dubbed the "Grand Central Station of the West."
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0vK8YUGhv

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 1:07 PM

Wow it feels like it has taken forever for them to start tearing this thing down. Good riddance. Lets get some photos of it up!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 10:32 PM
BANNED

TRANSBAY TERMINAL

January 15, 1939- August 7, 2010

Last edited by dr_strangelove; Aug 7, 2010 at 1:02 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 10:03 PM

The ramps are already coming down near the temporary terminal.

http://temporaryterminal.org/the-terminal/webcam/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 2:59 AM
Get me out of here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
The ramps are already coming down near the temporary terminal.

http://temporaryterminal.org/the-terminal/webcam/
Awesome!!!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 10:35 PM

Cool. Anybody know when the actualy building will start to comedown?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post
Cool. Anybody know when the actualy building will start to comedown?
http://transbaycenter.org/constructi...ition-overview

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 4:20 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^ I was just checking out that page earlier today. Very detailed overview of the entire demo process -- they're basically working east to west. I wish I still worked right next door, but I imagine it would be a pain dealing with the noise and various closures.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 6:17 PM

Someone, please help me...

Is this whole development approved, proposed, under-construction? ... Some one please tell me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development