HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 8:20 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Try getting a seat at Fatburger on a Saturday afternoon.

I don't disagree with your point, though.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
Beard Papa? That is the strangest/creepiest name, but those cream puffs sure do look good.
I prefer the Bearded Clam.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 8:39 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I prefer the Bearded Clam.
Mmm, creamy.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I was down in the Ikea area last night and had a chance to walk through the pedestrian outdoor circulation food area (opa, fat burger, avacade etc...). These pedestrain malls are very empty at night and these types of developments only seem to work if there are condos or houses within walking distance. Im sure they are very busy during the day for the industrial and construction crowd but at night.....wow.....nothing but two people in each place. The plus side is that the absolutley stacked out plates at the OPA souvlaki place!! It is kind of a shame that there are not more of these complexs in the beltline area...... the spacial organization was great and was a very comfortable environment (complete with trees, benches) but just no one there.....what a waste. The owners are practically begging for people to eat there for dinner.

Anyway......
I seem to remember that the developers had a condo project in mind as a future phase. Not sure if that's been kiboshed or not. Walnut Grove in Langley, BC, which has a great mixed use retail/condo/hotel/entertainment area, comes to mind. Grocery store and retail pads along the highway frontage, low rise residential atop retail uses set back along a environmental strip with a pathway to a movie theatre and restaurants on the other side of the green space. That place is always active!

If Deerfoot Meadows wants to increase traffic, then the developers should look at Walnut Grove's example!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 11:20 PM
Great White Norf

I've been to Tanger outlets in Myrtle Beach, SC. I think of it like I do CIM. nothing special

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 11:50 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I seem to remember that the developers had a condo project in mind as a future phase. Not sure if that's been kiboshed or not. Walnut Grove in Langley, BC, which has a great mixed use retail/condo/hotel/entertainment area, comes to mind. Grocery store and retail pads along the highway frontage, low rise residential atop retail uses set back along a environmental strip with a pathway to a movie theatre and restaurants on the other side of the green space. That place is always active!

If Deerfoot Meadows wants to increase traffic, then the developers should look at Walnut Grove's example!
I haven't been to Walnut Grove, but I like how they are doing some of the new retail out here. I checked out the new Thrifty's grocery store in North Van which I think is the first Thrifty's off Vancouver Island. There is some parking out front but there is also a moving ramp to a lower level of parking below the store.
Next to Thrifty's is Bed Bath & Beyond, but upon entering the store, I realized it was just an escalator/elevator lobby and the actual store was up above the Thrifty's.
I have seen this in West Van at Park Royal where Home Sense is above the street level stores but it looks like it is one of them. A tighter better use of space I think.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Try getting a seat at Fatburger on a Saturday afternoon.
or 5 Guys for that matter... it's worth it though!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
I've been to Tanger outlets in Myrtle Beach, SC. I think of it like I do CIM. nothing special
If they have the stores that should have opened at CIM in the first place like Polo, Reebok, Nike and so on... I'll think it's special.

We stumbled across San Marcus Outlets while driving from San Antonio to Austin a few years ago, and it was literally a 200 acre power center with every brand you could think of, in the middle of nowhere... and cheap as hell!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 4:53 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
It is kind of a shame that there are not more of these complexs in the beltline area...... the spacial organization was great and was a very comfortable environment (complete with trees, benches) but just no one there.....what a waste. The owners are practically begging for people to eat there for dinner.

Anyway......
But then wouldn't you guys start complaining about how it was a crime against nature that such "power centre" type development was being allowed with immediate demands they be demolished so that more condos could be built on the site, perhaps with special zoning to allow only for non-chain retailers and restaurants to operate on the ground floor on the new condos?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 2:57 PM

Wrong thread NM

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
If they have the stores that should have opened at CIM in the first place like Polo, Reebok, Nike and so on... I'll think it's special.

We stumbled across San Marcus Outlets while driving from San Antonio to Austin a few years ago, and it was literally a 200 acre power center with every brand you could think of, in the middle of nowhere... and cheap as hell!
yeah - an outlet mall is an outlet mall but I think there are two big players in the states for outlet malls tanger and prime outlets - and some stores/brands are associated with one or the other usually and tanger has some better brands they can offer

you have to be a savvy shopper too when shopping some outlet stores aren't that great you can often find better deals in the regular store and than some outlets - like gap and banana republic the stuff they sell in their factory stores isn't available in their regular stores so its not really a saving since its price is being compared to a non-existent comparison

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 12:30 AM

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here or not but The Core's website now shows H&M opening there in April of this year... I guess that giant false facade they created back in the fall must of paid off for them.... Hopefully an Apple store won't be far behind....

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 8:51 PM

Chinook is totally hitting it with their leasing:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Mankind...961/story.html

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 10:12 PM
BANNED

I think Chinook might be the best mall for shopping in western Canada now.
Metrotown in Burnaby's pretty big and also modern but i think Chinook is still nicer inside and out and has a much nicer food court and movie theater. I love Chinooks' food court. The expansion has also added nicely to the variety of quality shops.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 10:34 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
But then wouldn't you guys start complaining about how it was a crime against nature that such "power centre" type development was being allowed with immediate demands they be demolished so that more condos could be built on the site, perhaps with special zoning to allow only for non-chain retailers and restaurants to operate on the ground floor on the new condos?
Who are "you guys?" And what is your question? You lost me. I was referring to the scale and walkability of these small sections of sprawling malls. Mostly I was refferring to the nice pedestrian area in front of the restaurants with trees and benches........kind of like some of the developments in Kensington that you can walk from the street front to the back alley with a gap between buildings.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
I think Chinook might be the best mall for shopping in western Canada now.
Metrotown in Burnaby's pretty big and also modern but i think Chinook is still nicer inside and out and has a much nicer food court and movie theater. I love Chinooks' food court. The expansion has also added nicely to the variety of quality shops.
Once Victoria Secret, True Religion & 7 For All Mankind open, I'd definetly say it's the best for shopping selection, but ya have to give credit where credit is due... If you want a weekend getaway under one roof, 80's-ish or not... WEM's still the place!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 6:29 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
If you want a weekend getaway under one roof, 80's-ish or not... WEM's still the place!
The 80s look is a huge part of the charm for me. But that's cuz I'm pretty solidly an 80s kid.

I'm actually a bit saddened to hear of the makeover. Gonna have to make a few trips up north, and soon.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 7:12 PM
not a NIMBY

I'm sure MEC announced they would be opening a second store in Calgary a few years ago. Anyone know what happened or is that still a future possibility?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 9:55 AM

nice score for calgary

7 For All Mankind to open first Canadian store in Calgary's Chinook Centre

BY MARIO TONEGUZZI, CALGARY HERALD

CALGARY — Another high-profile American retailer will open a new location at Chinook Centre.

The popular shopping centre in southwest Calgary will be home for 7 For All Mankind beginning March 9 as the Los Angeles-based premium denim-lifestyle brand aggressively expands with its first fully-owned stores in Canada.

The brand has been available in Canada since 2003 through high-end department stores including Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen and Simons. But the company said it made a decision to focus on a "direct to consumer strategy due to the Canadian consumers' increasing demand" and "the strong, resilient buoyancy of the Canadian market."

It is planning to open 10 to 15 stores in mall locations within the next five years. Currently the brand operates 119 stores worldwide.

"The new Canadian stores will feature design characteristics similar to other 7 For All Mankind retail locations but will also uphold a regional feel," it said in a news release. "7 For All Mankind will offer shoppers a broad assortment of the brand's collection for men and women including denim, sportswear, and eyewear."

The company was founded in 2000.

Darryl Schmidt, vice-president of leasing at Cadillac Fairview Corp. Ltd., said the American retailer's decision to make Calgary the launching point for Canada was primarily driven by two factors.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Mankind...#ixzz1DjksYS4L

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned on here or not but The Core's website now shows H&M opening there in April of this year... I guess that giant false facade they created back in the fall must of paid off for them.... Hopefully an Apple store won't be far behind....
It's like Walmart clothing a year before Walmart gets it.... I don't get it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy