HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:53 PM

That wall needs to go.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 5:01 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
This IMO is disappointing in terms of height and design. Maybe having Frost down the street doesn't help, but to me this looks like something that would be built in the Houston burbs. Yes, it is helping density, but these developers really need to start thinking outside the box with respect to design. Austin's downtown deserves better than these bland towers that are being thrown up.
Ditto!

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 9:13 PM
Everywhere all at once

One has to keep in mind that a lot of the time when a blank wall like that appears, it's in anticipation of another building that may rise on the neighboring lot, so as to not have a windowed facade blocked at some point in the future. That being said, I feel that by building Frost, they set a precedent for office construction that has yet to be met again. Designers should keep that in mind when designing these buildings.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 10:18 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
This IMO is disappointing in terms of height and design. Maybe having Frost down the street doesn't help, but to me this looks like something that would be built in the Houston burbs. Yes, it is helping density, but these developers really need to start thinking outside the box with respect to design. Austin's downtown deserves better than these bland towers that are being thrown up.
Yeah, it looks like a modern version of the Bank of America Center, which is actually a decent building considering it's almost 40 years old. This, though, not quite up to snuff for 2014. I still say I'm not a fan of modern design. It's either crazy futuristic and weird, or it's this "sleek" but boring look. And totally agreed on the suburban building look. It looks like it belongs along 183 in North Austin.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 1:08 AM

Snapped this picture today. They've added a sign amongst the food trailers.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
Snapped this picture today. They've added a sign amongst the food trailers.
So realistic, I got concerned about traffic alignment for a moment.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:32 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngreenlee View Post
So realistic, I got concerned about traffic alignment for a moment.
Lol it does look odd the way the have the building Angled. If it went up exactly like that, it would totally throw off the vibe.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:56 AM

Construction starting soon...

From Paul78701's post in the update thread:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ess+Journal%29

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:56 PM
Meh

They've approved and released the site plan. The elevations are files 39, 40 and 41.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11077540

So...the height that I had seen before with a PDF that was posted to the city's FTP site, had the height listed at 248 feet to the main roof, and approx. 269 feet to the mechanical penthouse roof with 19 floors.

These elevations that were released most recently show it to be just 18 floors of office space and only 224 feet to the main roof and 242 feet to the mechanical penthouse roof. So it looks to me like they reduced it by one floor. It also looks like they did something to the garage levels, because their heights aren't the same anymore. In the original it listed the top garage level as 10 1/2, now it only goes to 10.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:10 PM

This project is just more wasted air space. With the recent increase in demand for downtown office space I hope we see a big tower get announced out of the blue.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:26 PM
Meh

Unless parking requirements are removed, I'm thinking anything on that lot would face the same issues the Colorado Tower did.

I totally agree, though, it's a shame these interior lots that would face no height restrictions are being wasted on such short buildings.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:28 PM

I'm actually glad this one isn't that tall given its location in the heart of the warehouse district. It'll be a nice fit for the area.

Last edited by SkyPie; Sep 16, 2014 at 4:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:55 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Construction to start immediately.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...tin-tower.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:11 AM

woo hoo!!! So excited for this beautiful parking garage!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:36 AM

The one building I least wanted to get started does.....hope it doesn't make any of the other office proposals harder to get going.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:52 AM

^^Yeah, I hate this building. I get that this is a great sign for Austin's office market, but this shit is so horribly boring and faux urban...it'll probably be razed in 30 years or less.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:41 AM
De Lurk Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
^^Yeah, I hate this building. I get that this is a great sign for Austin's office market, but this shit is so horribly boring and faux urban...it'll probably be razed in 30 years or less.
I agree. This building offers nothing to the fabric of downtown. Boring design, short height and car centric 8 story parking garage. What a waste of prime real estate. Hope your listening Lincoln Properties!!! We do not want your product.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:58 PM

This is the type of regressive "architecture" Austin doesn't need. Enough is enough. IT'S UGLY. What was their thought process when designing this? Simplicity can be nice, like with 432 Park Ave in NY, but this reads as tired and uninspired. It's a short square building with about as many parking floors as there are office floors. Oh and just throw some, oh I don't know, MORE BLUE GLASS because there isn't enough of that in Austin. UG

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:12 PM

In case nobody noticed, every downtown office building that has gone up in Austin in the past 15 years is built on top of a significant parking podium. I am not sure how this came to be, but I don't know a lot about parking requirements and development codes downtown. All of the tall buildings that went up in the late 1980s were built in a traditional manner with no parking podiums at the base. I guess some of them have parking structures attached, but not all of them do. What happened downtown to require these ugly podiums to be built?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
In case nobody noticed, every downtown office building that has gone up in Austin in the past 15 years is built on top of a significant parking podium. I am not sure how this came to be, but I don't know a lot about parking requirements and development codes downtown. All of the tall buildings that went up in the late 1980s were built in a traditional manner with no parking podiums at the base. I guess some of them have parking structures attached, but not all of them do. What happened downtown to require these ugly podiums to be built?
Yes, and it's very rude. I'm not shocked by this, just very disappointed that it's still happening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin