HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 11:22 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
That would be outstanding. I remember this rumored MACC project though:
http://downtownaustinblog.org/2009/1...reet-district/

They have that sizeable lot to the north that they could potentially build something on.
Well, the MACC hasn't moved on this in a while - I forgot all about it. Anyone know anything? If anything ends up being built by MACC on that lot, I'd be surprised if it's all that tall, but who knows? Empty lots do pose threats to views in urban areas, unless they have a CVC or something guaranteeing a protected view.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:59 AM

It looks like two levels of retail:

https://www.facebook.com/SeventyRainey/photos_stream

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
It looks like two levels of retail:

https://www.facebook.com/SeventyRainey/photos_stream
This had exceptional street interaction. I think they intend to keep the green elements to the parking garage based on a quote from Sackman about wanting to incorporate the natural intrigue of the Rainey District into the design. Really excited about this one.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 1:38 AM

Looking at this closer, I don't think the green is for show and I am skeptical as they come about greenery on renders. The closer renders show the parking garage to have planters covering the facade. This one is starting to get me excited.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 1:43 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
Looking at this closer, I don't think the green is for show and I am skeptical as they come about greenery on renders. The closer renders show the parking garage to have planters covering the facade. This one is starting to get me excited.
Those could just be boxes...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 3:36 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Pretty sexy tower!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 7:42 PM

Kevin, you have been quoted in the Statesman:

"Kevin Lehnhardt: They’re not empty. In fact, Austin’s residential occupancy rate right now is around 96 percent. It is insanely high, and it’s exactly the reason why there are high-rise condos and apartments being built. And I’d rather see them in downtown than see a bunch of hilltop houses in West Austin with thirsty lawns. Yes, $3 million is expensive, but there are $10 million homes in West Austin. I’d rather have this in downtown than houses covering the hills any day."

The article:
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/o...housing/nkqgM/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 8:42 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Ha! I know Mark Schram, too.

And I thought I coined "thirsty lawns." Maybe not. Either way, I'm now famous in my own head.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 12:50 AM
Meh

Nice. People complain about these towers in downtown, but I'd rather all that housing get built there and lose a few parking lots than to see them level the hills and replace the trees with huge houses. If people are going to be moving here in droves, I'd rather them be housed in downtown since it's more sustainable for our water resources and road infrastructure. Besides, if for some reason those people move away and the demand slows in Austin, it won't mean we'll have some empty house sitting on a hill that forever changed our natural landscape only to sit empty for a while. Instead, it'll be an empty apartment or condo that no one will notice is empty in its building among all the other units. And since the residential units in downtown are still typically cheaper than those mansions in/on the hills, the downtown living spaces won't stay vacant for long when they're a third or less of the cost of some of those West Austin homes. And then there's the bonus of having housing costs come down in downtown if they market slows a bit.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Nice. People complain about these towers in downtown, but I'd rather all that housing get built there and lose a few parking lots than to see them level the hills and replace the trees with huge houses. If people are going to be moving here in droves, I'd rather them be housed in downtown since it's more sustainable for our water resources and road infrastructure. Besides, if for some reason those people move away and the demand slows in Austin, it won't mean we'll have some empty house sitting on a hill that forever changed our natural landscape only to sit empty for a while. Instead, it'll be an empty apartment or condo that no one will notice is empty in its building among all the other units. And since the residential units in downtown are still typically cheaper than those mansions in/on the hills, the downtown living spaces won't stay vacant for long when they're a third or less of the cost of some of those West Austin homes. And then there's the bonus of having housing costs come down in downtown if they market slows a bit.
Preaching to the choir...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 12:30 AM

70 Rainey Launch Party!

Quote:
We’ve partnered with Austin Way to bring you the best of Rainey Street with cocktails on the MACC Plaza. Austin Way will release their new spring issue, and we’ll provide the inside scoop on luxury living at SEVENTY RAINEY.

Invitation + RSVP Only

Please RSVP to Info@70Rainey.com

www.70Rainey.com

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 12:32 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Loving the branding on this one. Amazing idea to have the R be a 70 flipped to the side.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 1:16 AM
Meh

With all that marketing suggesting the greenery, I really hope that stuff stays on the building beyond the renderings through to reality.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
With all that marketing suggesting the greenery, I really hope that stuff stays on the building beyond the renderings through to reality.

As much as I hope so, too, I won't be holding my breath.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post

As much as I hope so, too, I won't be holding my breath.
They'll be like..."The only GREEN around here is yo DOLLAS, SUCKAS!!"

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 3:59 AM

As contentious an issue of this building is with the MACC, I'm really surprised that they're hosting the launch party there. If any of the local activist groups catch wind of this, I wouldn't be surprised to see some protesters there.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd1076 View Post
As contentious an issue of this building is with the MACC, I'm really surprised that they're hosting the launch party there. If any of the local activist groups catch wind of this, I wouldn't be surprised to see some protesters there.

Article from today's Chronicle on their goals and so on: http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/...ainey-coexist/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 7:35 PM

Excerpt from The Austin Chronicle article:

Quote:
For its part, Sackman has vowed to cooperate with concerned community members. C.J. Sackman, local director of development (also see "Council," p.14), wrote in an email to the Chronicle that he agreed with community leaders about transforming the city-owned land into parkland, and had reiterated support for the parkland vision at a recent MACC board meeting. He wrote, "We have had preliminary conversations with the city to discuss the viability of utilizing 64 Rainey St for our construction staging. In consideration for the usage of the property during our construction (estimated 18-24 months), we made a presentation to the MACC Advisory Board on April 15th that included: a commitment to collaboration with the community to design a park on-site; contribute funds toward the design and park installation; and we committed to its maintenance."
So is that little pocket park shown in the below rendering just to the south of the tower what they're talking about?

http://austintowers.net/wp-content/u...s-01-01-01.png

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 7:43 PM
Meh

I guess so. It's right across the street from the museum. I like that idea, just as long as it's maintained. Unless they turn it over to the city, it would be up to them to maintain it. I'm looking forward to this one. it's going to have some things about it that will be cool to see followed through on like the park and all the greenery.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 7:55 PM

They (Sackman Enterprises) have agreed to maintain it.

You can look at the backup information for the April 1, 2015 meeting of the Mexican American Cultural Center Advisory Board here

Click on that link that says "Sackman Enterprises/Freemont Holdings Asks and Offers Re: 64 Rainey."

Quote:
1. Pay for Design of pocket park with MACC AB and community input
2. Pay to build pocket park once condo construction is complete
3. Pay to maintain, in perpetuity, including irrigation
4. Includes both 58 and 64 Rainey Street lots.
5. Provide the same exterior finish on south face as will be provided on east (Rainey) and west
(alley) side of building for garage levels only.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin