HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
"The Lorax", [url=http://allandale.typepad.com/allandale/2007/02/rg4n_meeting_in.html]Morrison ... ran for, and won a seat on, the city council on a platform of stopping projects like 7Rio (her campaign ads used a bad rendering of the Green redevelopment to try to scare the old hippies into thinking the condo monster was devouring their city). Morrison was heavily, heavily endorsed by RG4N.

I see no evidence since then that she has become more mature, less reactionary, or more reasonable. Have you?

As for "how could she have any impact on this project" - are you kidding me? She could stop the project dead in its tracks if she got a couple more councilmembers on her side. Yes, the city would lose, eventually, in court, since, just like Wal-Mart's project, the law would be clear (assuming what H20 says is the actual complete truth; I doubt it's anywhere near that cut-and-dry). But, still, you don't think she'd do it? Really?
Based on the Lorax' response I could be wrong about the zoning being grandfathered, but provided the current Density Bonus Program passes as proposed, the project's new zoning would be less restrictive than their current zoning, so they would not require to enter the Density Bonus Program for additional entitlements. The DBP is based on entitlements above and beyond the base zoning of a site, and their current base zoning is tailored to the project.

I am not a fan of LM, but I can provide one example of her using her political savvy above and beyond her political posturing. At her first Council meeting after being elected, the Green Water Treatment Plant zoning (which she campaigned against) was on the agenda. She new the zoning was specified by a Council Resolution from her new colleagues. She did not say a word the whole time so as to not draw attention to herself, and neither abstained nor voted against the zoning.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I am not a fan of LM, but I can provide one example of her using her political savvy above and beyond her political posturing. At her first Council meeting after being elected, the Green Water Treatment Plant zoning (which she campaigned against) was on the agenda. She new the zoning was specified by a Council Resolution from her new colleagues. She did not say a word the whole time so as to not draw attention to herself, and neither abstained nor voted against the zoning.
The Green WTP was used in her ads - but she never said anything publically about it, and it's far from her home. 7Rio, on the other hand, she'll be able to see out her front windows. Just like Spring, in relation to which she said "I tried to stop that one" on at least one occasion (overheard by an in-law of mine).

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 4:47 PM

Speaking of scare tactics . . .

First, we don't even know if they need or are submitting something that would require ANY discretionary review. Second, assuming #1, is there any indication at all that CM Morrison could sway THREE (3) members to join her in opposing whatever was being requested?

On a broader note, if CM Morrison was truly elected based upon the materials you cite, isn't the blame not on her, but on the sliver of the electorate that participated and was moved by such a pitch? Isn't it our responsibility to build a reasoned and articulate argument for responsible growth, help our fellow Austinites recognize the importance of density, instead of sustained sniping about a single CM?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 7:32 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

That is true, not many people voted in the city elections, and the ones that went out in large numbers were the NIMBY's of central Austin. I agree that the broader population needs to get more involved with city issues.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 2:56 PM

The City Council forced a large delay on the Northcross project despite it being an absolute cut and dry issue, and that was without Morrison on the dais. There was no actual discretionary review in play - but the neighborhood pitched a gigantic fit, and the CC leaned on Lincoln to delay, and they did (this led, partly, to the change in the project from the slightly less awful 2-story project to the standard one-story sprawl model they're now going to get).

As for 'sniping' at her - it's important to understand, realistically, the environment in which you operate. In THEORY, the project should have no problems. We don't operate in theory; we operate in reality, and in reality, Morrison will try to stop this project if at all possible (or delay it, like the previous council did with Northcross, in the hope it'll go away in the meantime).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 8:54 AM

You can view sketches of the architectural elevations that were submitted previously, but were just approved and released for the project here: https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/devrevie...erRSN=10661412

Then, by viewing attachments SPL-SP-2011-0289C_0~016 and SPL-SP-2011-0289C_0~017.

No renderings yet and not many details on the elevations.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 6:26 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
The height is now 263'1.5"

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
The height is now 263'1.5"
I posted on this last year when they updated their site plan in October (2011) to change from 36 stories into... “24-story building with approximately 221 multi-family units [for rent] and associated ground floor uses, along with parking and utility improvements.”

Looks like it's 24 stories + mechanical up to about 263ft.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 4:33 PM
Austinite

Sevel RIO

Saw this snippet on the REBusiness Online site regarding the Seven Rio project. Looks to be in good shape.

http://www.rebusinessonline.com/main...6&region=Texas

Quote:

BEHRINGER HARVARD INVESTS IN NEW LUXURY HIGH-RISE IN AUSTIN

AUSTIN, TEXAS

Behringer Harvard Multifamily REIT I Inc. has provided equity capital for the construction of the 24-story Seven RIO, a 220-unit luxury high-rise development in the West Sixth Street District in downtown Austin. The multifamily tower will be located on the northeast corner of West Seventh Street and Rio Grande...

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 8:02 PM

Some pics from 5/1/13

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the update ivanwolf.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:34 PM

Today 5/8/13

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 3:10 AM

There's a giant hole in the ground:

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 7:59 PM

Update 6/6/12

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 8:51 PM

I'm glad this one finally got started. But I will always be disappointed that the original version wasn't built instead.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I'm glad this one finally got started. But I will always be disappointed that the original version wasn't built instead.
I looked back through the 4 pages on this thread, and didn't see any photos or renderings of the current and/or previous design of this building. Can someone provide an update with what this building was originally going to look like compared with what the design is now?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsalpha View Post
I looked back through the 4 pages on this thread, and didn't see any photos or renderings of the current and/or previous design of this building. Can someone provide an update with what this building was originally going to look like compared with what the design is now?
I'm too lazy to post an old rendering. But do a Google image search for "7 Rio" and you'll see that this was originally planned to be much taller.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 9:27 PM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 9:44 PM
Meh

It almost looks triangular there, even though the building elevations don't indicate that.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 10:29 PM
Rundberg & I35

I know last we heard this project was going to be 24 stories and ~220 units. The new rendering looks to have 16-17 stories of units atop unkown levels of parking. In addition they are digging underground .....so there may be another reduction in height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin