HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:12 AM
Austinite

There is now a sign with renderings for the "Domain 8" office building. Looks to be 9-10 stories tall, facing Burnet Road.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:18 AM
Meh

Nice. Here's the site plan. It's still awaiting update.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11223623

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 9:07 PM

Snapped a few pictures at The Domain yesterday

Like there new sign that they installed not to long ago.

Work is well underway for the 2nd building.

New apartments going up next to the Aloft Hotel.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 5:33 PM
Austinite

Here's a closeup shot of the Domain 8 renderings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
There is now a sign with renderings for the "Domain 8" office building. Looks to be 9-10 stories tall, facing Burnet Road.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 12:08 AM

The first attachment to the site plan at about page 17 has a letter from Big Red Dog that says it's 12 stories of office and possibly three additional levels of parking as well as a five story parking garage. It certainly doesn't look that tall.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11223623

Edit: After looking at the rendering some more it does appear that it could be 12-stories and the three parking levels are connected to the office building (as opposed to being a podium) as seen behind the trees in the billboard rendering on the left.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 1:10 AM
Honored Member

It's odd to me that the sign for Domain 8 specifically mentions walking to Whole Foods, considering the fact that it's currently very awkward to attempt to walk anywhere from the Whole Foods parking lot. They do have provision for walking to the mall but you have to go up some stairs and across the upper level of another parking lot. It's weirdly designed and seems to be yet another situation where cars are the presumed method of getting everywhere. In fact, aside form the mall itself, I find the Domain to be poorly designed for pedestrians. It's just not appealing, and it looks like it's an after-thought.

I wish the entire Domain had been designed with walkability as a core objective, more like a compact little city instead of like a glorified office park and shopping mall. But still, it's interesting, and certainly better than an ordinary suburban office park/mall. I look forward to seeing how it turns out when fully built, as there will probably be a lot more amenities that may silence my whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
...After looking at the rendering some more it does appear that it could be 12-stories and the three parking levels are connected to the office building (as opposed to being a podium) as seen behind the trees in the billboard rendering on the left.
I hope so. The podium type of design is so odd looking, but I've yet to see one of the projects where there's ground-level retail with parking starting on the next floor up. Maybe that's not so bad, other than the appearance from a distance. One of the main problems with walking around the Domain, toi me, is that it seems like one is constantly walking by parking garages and surface parking lots. This is the main reason I find it an unappealing place to walk, aside from the mall.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
The podium type of design is so odd looking, but I've yet to see one of the projects where there's ground-level retail with parking starting on the next floor up. Maybe that's not so bad, other than the appearance from a distance.
Instead of a podium, Colorado Tower concealed their parking garage as part of the glass facade of the building - you can only tell that they have parking levels above the ground floor retail from the 2 sides of the building where the parking level ventilation is:

Source: CorvairKeith's post to the Colorado Tower thread. Click to see all the photos: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=452

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 8:36 AM
Meh

Yeah, the wording on that site plan is confusing. Is it 12 floors or 15? It even mentions another partial level. Anyway, if it's 12 floors that would officially be the highest floor count for any office building outside of downtown and the UT Campus. The 9-story Stonebridge Office buildings up on Mopac at 183 are 140 feet each to their mechanical penthouses. This would probably be more than 150 feet for sure, which would make it one of the tallest office buildings outside of the core.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
It's odd to me that the sign for Domain 8 specifically mentions walking to Whole Foods, considering the fact that it's currently very awkward to attempt to walk anywhere from the Whole Foods parking lot. They do have provision for walking to the mall but you have to go up some stairs and across the upper level of another parking lot. It's weirdly designed and seems to be yet another situation where cars are the presumed method of getting everywhere. In fact, aside form the mall itself, I find the Domain to be poorly designed for pedestrians. It's just not appealing, and it looks like it's an after-thought.
That's because it will (already is) very easy to walk there from this lot. There are sidewalks that lead to Whole Foods already in place.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 6:15 PM

Just saw a crane going up behind the Quarry I &II at Breaker and Stonelake. Any idea on the project?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecreek View Post
Just saw a crane going up behind the Quarry I &II at Breaker and Stonelake. Any idea on the project?
It's a build-to-suit project for BazaarVoice. Riverside Resources is building Quarry Oaks Atrium III for them.

Austin Business Journal
BazaarVoice To Move 500 Workers To Northwest Austin
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...northwest.html

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yeah, the wording on that site plan is confusing. Is it 12 floors or 15? It even mentions another partial level. Anyway, if it's 12 floors that would officially be the highest floor count for any office building outside of downtown and the UT Campus. The 9-story Stonebridge Office buildings up on Mopac at 183 are 140 feet each to their mechanical penthouses. This would probably be more than 150 feet for sure, which would make it one of the tallest office buildings outside of the core.

On the Endeavor website it says 11 stories

http://www.endeavor-re.com/property/...-quarter-2016/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 5:01 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyLine View Post
On the Endeavor website it says 11 stories

http://www.endeavor-re.com/property/...-quarter-2016/
Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of it, though. The rendering there seems to show it with 10 floors.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 6:23 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
That rendering shows 11 floors, Kevin.

One lobby/ground floor, three floors in the next section, and seven floors above that.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 5:18 AM

A small infill project planned for 6444 Burnet Rd.

Levy Architects

Quote:
Located along the thriving Burnet Road Corridor, this project includes 36 apartments with ground floor retail. Materials such as brick, stucco, metal panel, and a rain chain accompany the design.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11216098

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 9:55 AM

Here's a screen shot from the backup files of the 04/16/2015 City Council meeting showing the project at 8528 Burnet Road. This is the one that was recently discussed in the Election & Politics thread. Sackman Enterprises is the Developer (also the developer for 70 Rainey) and the project was designed by Wilder Belshaw Architects who also designed The 704.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 6:29 PM

It looks nice but it would be better if they could incorporate some first level retail.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
It looks nice but it would be better if they could incorporate some first level retail.
Certainly better, but I don't altogether blame them for not. Despite the address, the property actually has most of it's frontage on Rockwood Lane (the property is L shaped and isn't on the corner). In fact, the posted view is from Rockwood (you can tell from the street lanes). Any retail would have a lot less visibility and foot traffic.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
I'm not so sure more retail is really needed in this area since there is a strip mall right across Rockwood with quite a few empty shops.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 12:22 AM

I know that ground floor retail is all the rage right now, but I honestly don't think every project needs it. In some cases I'd rather see the first floor used for more living units - especially if there's lots of other retail nearby. We have a housing shortage here and I think it's sometimes more important to have more vacant apartments to lease for people to actually live in than it is to have more retail space to lease just so we can have another day spa/juice bar/nail salon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin