HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:00 PM

I know we've had this discussion before (back when the mixed use tower was being considered), but where exactly should the county build a new civil courthouse? Back then the consensus seemed to be that it should be downtown due to proximity to law offices. etc. I suggested that it might be a good development within the county owned office strip located on Airport just southeast of Highland Mall. A 12 to 15 story building would work nicely there and add to the density of the area at least during the daytime. Where do SSP forum members think the county should build their court house?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I know we've had this discussion before (back when the mixed use tower was being considered), but where exactly should the county build a new civil courthouse? Back then the consensus seemed to be that it should be downtown due to proximity to law offices. etc. I suggested that it might be a good development within the county owned office strip located on Airport just southeast of Highland Mall. A 12 to 15 story building would work nicely there and add to the density of the area at least during the daytime. Where do SSP forum members think the county should build their court house?
I like your suggestion, mostly for the accessibility of it. The only advantage I see to putting at the current proposal would be local businesses such as restaurants would benefit from the 12 hours of foot traffic it would generate during its hours of operation. I'm not so much concerned about the height of the structure at that location as I always thought a museum, planetarium, or aquarium would work well there. Many of the museum type attractions in DC are next to parks. That being said, I wish they would have built the Federal Court House at or near the Capitol complex.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 12:15 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Where do SSP forum members think the county should build their court house?
You might not like this idea, but I think it would be great to put it...
Quote:
...within the county owned office strip located on Airport just southeast of Highland Mall. A 12 to 15 story building would work nicely there and add to the density of the area at least during the daytime.
In fact, that seems like a no-brainer. It's very accessible and isn't all that far from the geographic population center. That land is severely under-utilized and surely much cheaper to develop. In the weirdly-bellowed words of a doped-up Rick Perry during a speech in New Hampshire, "WHY NOT?!?"

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 1:25 AM

There are probably good reasons to locate the civil court house downtown, but I think the County should find a new location for this building. There must be many other possible building sites downtown that would suit this purpose and allow for the construction of a 12 to 15 story building. I am sure a site could be purchased for about one half the value of the land on Republic Square. The county could make money in a land sale and still remain somewhere downtown with some extra money available to use for design or what have you. I am sort of uncomfortable with the idea of moving the court house out of downtown. I think there might be unforeseen consequences to the downtown office market as a result. Lawyers like to be near the court house, and law firms are a big part of the downtown office market.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 12:07 PM

Really don't understand why they simply don't build on half the lot and sell the other half. Sounds like public private deal is too difficult.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 5:11 PM

Here's the slides from last night's presentation to the Downtown Commission: http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=226232

Here's the video of the presentation as well.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 5:40 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwx View Post
Here's the slides from last night's presentation to the Downtown Commission: http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=226232

Here's the video of the presentation as well.

That was an interesting read. So the Airport Blvd. location looks like it's been dismissed already. I'm mystified by the city's height restrictions in that area.

Clearly there will not be any retail at ground level, but they make provision for "great streets" amenities such as space for vendor carts, trees, nice sidewalk.

The nighttime parking availability would not suck; it's needed. But otherwise, this is disappointing and yet possibly a necessary evil. Of course we'd all like to see retail and a taller slimmer building, but neither is going to happen.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
That was an interesting read. So the Airport Blvd. location looks like it's been dismissed already. I'm mystified by the city's height restrictions in that area.
Of course, they totally don't address why it would have to be that tall at that location, and not wider.

Or getting a variance from the city.

And the transit "analysis" basically assumes that transfers are impossible.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 7:35 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

But it won't shade the park at only 14 stories.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Of course, they totally don't address why it would have to be that tall at that location, and not wider.

Or getting a variance from the city.

And the transit "analysis" basically assumes that transfers are impossible.
The transit analysis basically assumes that nobody would arrive by car which is absurd. The Airport location is much more accessible by car, and probably 90 to 95 percent of the people going to the courthouse are going to go by auto. Also, I don't think it would be at all difficult for the county to obtain a variance to build a tall structure at the Airport location. What seems clear is that the county has not seriously considered building on Airport and wants a downtown courthouse. I probably agree that a downtown location is preferable, but I really hate the way this presentation fails to entertain a serious discussion that weighs the pros and cons of the Airport Blvd location versus the Republic Square location. They seem to assume that their intended audience can't or won't see beyond their clumsy attempt to dismiss the Airport Blvd. location from consideration.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Of course we'd all like to see retail
Around minute 27 in the video they start talking a bit about the possibility of retail. They said they are working with the Sheriff's department who will secure the building on that and if they were to entertain the idea of retail, it would probably be in the area on the north side marked Agency and listed as Safe Waiting or Non Profit support on slide 36. They start discussing retail and private use again at minute 55. They would also like to privately lease one floor until they need it.

Q&A starts at the 37 minute mark for those interested.

From the Q&A portion, they will need a variance from the city since they don't have the required 120 foot setback on 4th required by the downtown parks overlay. They are still welcoming feedback on the bollard design and mentioned that they had seen some bollards disguised as large planters or seating. They also mentioned that part of the reason they are putting the courthouse on 4th is because they want the taller building to be on 3rd, to benefit the park. They are thinking the building on 3rd will be 22-23 floors, but only slightly taller since the courthouse is 18 feet floor to floor.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 3:37 AM

Austin Monitor Radio: Travis County Civil and Family Courthouse and other development plans

http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories...lopment-plans/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 1:52 AM

AURA will be hosting a discussion at the Howson Branch Library on Wednesday, the 17th at 6:00pm titled: "Should we build this courthouse?" Here's the Facebook event page for it: https://www.facebook.com/events/913534498704874/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 6:02 AM
Meh

Yes, but with retail and a neighboring mixed use tower.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 4:42 PM
Member since 2001

NO!

Kevin, they cannot have retail (security issues) and they have chosen not to work with a developer in a PPP for a mixed-use tower. So, by default, those are off the board...not an option.

"No" will be my vote in November.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
NO!

Kevin, they cannot have retail (security issues) and they have chosen not to work with a developer in a PPP for a mixed-use tower. So, by default, those are off the board...not an option.

They have a space that they said could be used for retail. Just one space though. I believe that is mentioned in the "Austin Monitor Radio" link I posted above.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 8:32 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
NO!

Well, I feel the same way you do, but I was hoping to appeal to their more sensible side. I've already shared how I feel about it on that Facebook link that airwx posted.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 6:34 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

I'd vote: "ABSOLUTELY NO!" ...if I could.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 8:37 PM

Looks like someone is paying attention to the criticisms. They are now going to accept proposals from private developers for development of the southern half of this block:
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...-new-co/nmjdw/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 11:59 PM
Meh

Well that's kind of a game changer. I still wish they'd allow retail in the courthouse, but at least they're planning to sell off the southern half of the block for another tower. Whatever gets built on that southern lot will likely be very tall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin