HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 10:33 PM

Vancouver intersection notorious for pedestrian collisions finally gets traffic light

Quote:
Residents of a of a neighbourhood on Vancouver’s west side finally have access to a long-awaited crosswalk signal at an intersection notorious for crashes.

As of Friday morning, the pedestrian-controlled traffic light was active at the intersection of West 4th Avenue and Waterloo Street.

In September, Global News reported about a series of pedestrian collisions in a crosswalk at the intersection, where people on foot must make their way across four lanes of traffic.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 10:42 PM

Think they might as well shut down that part of Waterloo altogether and make McBride one big park.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Think they might as well shut down that part of Waterloo altogether and make McBride one big park.
Isn't Waterloo closed to traffic there already, or have they reopened it? I'm sure removing the paving will happen in time.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 5:16 PM
Peddling to progress

Moved from transit thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
For that, you'll need to get City Hall to stop listening to HUB (who basically want to be able to ride anywhere, anytime).
Changing City is correct, HUB clearly instructs all cyclists to follow the rules of the road:

Source

I don't many bike advocates in favour of outright breaking the rules of the road. I know some in favour of the Idaho Stop and others who think children should be allowed to ride on sidewalks, but otherwise advocates just want everyone including drivers and cyclists to follow the rules of the road.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
...advocates just want everyone including drivers and cyclists to follow the rules of the road.
It's been my observation that there are idiots who don't follow the rules using every mode of transport. And that the worst idiots always seem to be in whatever transportation mode you aren't currently participating in.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 5:27 AM

So cyclists.

I gave up bike riding because my e scooter is just so damn enjoyable to ride, so i am still a huge advocate of bike infrastructure.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 12:24 AM

4 pm today - Flagger steps into the bike path with her stop paddle clearly facing the cyclist but cyclist refuses to stop, the cyclist even give the finger to the trucker.
The flagger is juggling 2 idiot entities here, earlier this week 2 cars accelerated past the truck on the right before the flagger finally got control of the cars and cyclist for this turn (Harwood at Burrard).

The link has the sound of the exchange between the parties involved.

https://makeagif.com/i/gxLYwk

A full view - The cyclist had a half a block to see that a truck was turn right. The cyclist is viewing his/her surroundings through the eye of a needle

https://makeagif.com/i/e8VwZ6

Last edited by Zepfancouver; Feb 1, 2024 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Added a GIF

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 1:09 AM

The flagger is also probably there because of the fatality at the Hornby & Pacific intersection a year or 2 ago.

The dump truck (with trailer) needs to take a wide turn (occupying both lanes), so cannot see cyclists in the bike lane through his/her sideview mirror.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 3:52 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
4 pm today - Flagger steps into the bike path with her stop paddle clearly facing the cyclist but cyclist refuses to stop, the cyclist even give the finger to the trucker.
The flagger is juggling 2 idiot entities here, earlier this week 2 cars accelerated past the truck on the right before the flagger finally got control of the cars and cyclist for this turn (Harwood at Burrard).
Come on down and take your Darwin award

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 4:04 AM

Is that clip going to make it onto YouTube?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Is that clip going to make it onto YouTube?
I have it on my channel

https://youtu.be/CEJiDM8Bku4

and on Imgur https://imgur.com/gallery/fJ7OuRv

Last edited by Zepfancouver; Feb 1, 2024 at 6:41 AM. Reason: Added a Imgur link

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The flagger is also probably there because of the fatality at the Hornby & Pacific intersection a year or 2 ago.

The dump truck (with trailer) needs to take a wide turn (occupying both lanes), so cannot see cyclists in the bike lane through his/her sideview mirror.
Out of curiosity, why do we think the flagger gave the truck priority instead of the cyclist?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 4:53 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeaumont View Post
Out of curiosity, why do we think the flagger gave the truck priority instead of the cyclist?
It's a good question since traffic turning right is supposed to yield to cyclists going straight in the bike lane. I would guess because the flagger is being paid as part of the construction project, and not to enforce traffic laws more broadly.

However, as a cyclist, I am not too fussed about stopping for construction equipment because a) they tend to block at least a couple lanes while completing a turn so it's in the best interest of everyone to complete said turn ASAP; and b) they could squash me like a bug.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 5:12 PM

Quote:
That’s their job, to control the unpredictable general public.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 5:19 PM

Quote:
It's a good question since traffic turning right is supposed to yield to cyclists going straight in the bike lane. I would guess because the flagger is being paid as part of the construction project, and not to enforce traffic laws more broadly.

However, as a cyclist, I am not too fussed about stopping for construction equipment because a) they tend to block at least a couple lanes while completing a turn so it's in the best interest of everyone to complete said turn ASAP; and b) they could squash me like a bug.
And it only adds like 30 seconds max to your commute. People (cyclist and drivers) just have no patience for such things these days, apparently.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 5:21 PM

Quote:
As a car driver, cyclist, pedestrian, you name it. Just wait and let the giant dump truck do their thing. Especially when a flagger is literally in front of you.

As I say to my kid "risk vs reward". That cyclist is a complete idiot and that type of behaviour will eventually send them to the ER.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 1:11 AM

Quote:
My guess would be because the truck would be blocking both lanes of traffic on the roadway (or turning from the left lane) and there could also be the possibility of a stupid driver trying to pass the truck in the right lane and getting quished when the truck turned.
As for waiting to let the cyclist pass, there would likely always be another cyclist coming, so the timing is in line with when the truck approached, not stopping any particular cyclist.
It may also be harder for the truck to stop and then start up again (well, you'd see a big puff of exhaust if it did).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 4:53 PM

The never-ending debate about cyclists wearing helmets (and the rolling through stop signs)

Quote:
Oh, and here’s a parting thought. If we were to be genuinely public health-minded, people driving cars should probably wear helmets. According to an Australian study, a mandatory helmet law for vehicle drivers has the potential to save 17 times as many people from death by head injury as a helmet law for cyclists.

Maybe until we get autonomous cars, people driving should wear helmets too? Time for legislation?
If you ever see someone pull out this "fact" as an excuse why they shouldn't have to wear helmets or a dig at fossil cars then you go read the paper and realise it's from the mid-1990s and airbags just started to become mandatory in Canada in 1999.

https://www.nsnews.com/opinion/move-...ar-one-8201345

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
The never-ending debate about cyclists wearing helmets (and the rolling through stop signs)

If you ever see someone pull out this "fact" as an excuse why they shouldn't have to wear helmets or a dig at fossil cars then you go read the paper and realise it's from the mid-1990s and airbags just started to become mandatory in Canada in 1999.

https://www.nsnews.com/opinion/move-...ar-one-8201345
For me: if you go slow and only for a few block under 20km/h speed - helmet is optional.

When I go on a 2-3 hours ride with my road bike, and speeds unto 40 km/hours (30 average), yeah it's a no brainer...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 6:33 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
For me: if you go slow and only for a few block under 20km/h speed - helmet is optional.

When I go on a 2-3 hours ride with my road bike, and speeds unto 40 km/hours (30 average), yeah it's a no brainer...
Yeah, having helmets just be a blanket "all cyclists must wear at all times" ha always been heavy-handed.

Seatbelts aren't even mandated in all situations, after all. Buses, for one, don't require them, even on highway buses. It's deemed safe enough due to heft, I suppose?

Golf carts don't require seatbelts either. Safe enough due to lower speed and usually on paths.

This logic really should apply to bicycles, imo. Riding a bike on a dedicated bike path should make helmets optional. Routes like the CVG, Seawall, Arbutus bikeway.

On street cycling and painted bike lanes can require them.

For insurance and legal purposes, you'd probably have to make all intersections helmet free (no one is taking their helmet off just for the intersection anyhow) as bikeways sometimes cross streets. There's some precedent for that at rail crossings. You don't have to follow the rules of a railways to cross railways after all. Rules can be different where different modes of transport intersect.

There are also different rules and signals for pedestrians and vehicles at intersections, come to think of it... so just make bikeway/roadway intersections the same.

If there is a problem with last-mile helmet usage, perhaps set a distance which a cyclist can ride without a helmet (to get to and from a bikeway), perhaps not requiring helmets under a certain distance when not on major roads. I don't know, just an option. In practice, if you're a few blocks from a bikeway you can make that judgment call anyhow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure