HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'm sure you know what my view is on that.

It would be interesting to see how Ontario would manage public funding for Catholic schools if it became a political issue the public started caring about.

Would they abolish the Catholic school funding, or would they extend funding to schools of all religious groups?
Or, absent a court ruling to the contrary, maintain the status quo.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Ontario has allowed Catholic and Jewish faith-based tribunals to settle family law matters on a voluntary basis since 1991, but the practice got little attention until Muslim leaders demanded the same rights.
There is no such a thing as "Catholic family law" that would regulate things like inheritance, guardianship of children, etc. There is canon law, which regulates only Catholic religious marriage. And canon law exists even in completely secular jurisdictions like France, because it is an entirely private matter that regards individuals' choices. Canon law has no power over civil marriage of course.

So it's nice to make everything equivalent as the woke crowd like to do, but it's totally absurd. Canon law has nothing in common with shariah, which pretends to dictate all aspects of societies, and pretends to be superior to civil law, wherein the problem lies.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Or, absent a court ruling to the contrary, maintain the status quo.
Court rulings aren't the only things that force governments to act, thankfully.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
There is no such a thing as "Catholic family law" that would regulate things like inheritance, guardianship of children, etc. There is canon law, which regulates only Catholic religious marriage. And canon law exists even in completely secular jurisdictions like France, because it is an entirely private matter that regards individuals' choices. Canon law has no power over civil marriage of course.

So it's nice to make everything equivalent as the woke crowd like to do, but it's totally absurd. Canon law has nothing in common with shariah, which pretends to dictate all aspects of societies, and pretends to be superior to civil law, wherein the problem lies.
Islam is an all-encompassing societal and life framework that is posited on the idea that everyone in a society (and eventually, the world) will abide by it. This is why there is such resistance from Muslims to secularism and stuff like Quebec Bill 21. For them, their religion isn't something they can "check at the door" when they arrive at work or school.

Christianity, and especially Catholicism, used to be like that of course. I mean, the word "catholic" actually means "universal".

But Christians including Catholics long ago moved beyond that and have adopted a more pluralistic world-view.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:12 PM

In other news:
Quote:
A Montréal, de plus en plus d’expats français viennent chercher un « esprit d’entreprise » moins rigide et plus « collaboratif »

Avec 200 000 personnes, la communauté française de Montréal est la plus importante établie hors d’Europe. Parmi ces expatriés, nombre de cadres ou d’entrepreneurs.

Le Monde
14 avril 2024

https://www.lemonde.fr/international...7888_3210.html

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Yes this has been the big trend of the 21st century though I wonder if it isn't going to run out of steam soon as Canada's economy and governance sputters and the gap in cost of living and affordability starts to narrow between Quebec and France, to the latter's advantage.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:24 PM

"Au Canada ET chez nos cousins du Québec". Thierry de Cabarrus is a rather well-known (pro-Macron) journalist.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
"Au Canada ET chez nos cousins du Québec". Thierry de Cabarrus is a rather well-known (pro-Macron) journalist.

Is he most upset that most of the French press thinks Quebec is insignificant or that his party isn't getting the positive coverage he thinks they deserve?

I think we know the answer.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:39 PM

French media don't cover international news all that much (except the obsession with Israel/Gaza and Russia). Foreign trips by French president or ministers are not usually covered. But that annoys him as a pro-Macron guy. Note that a trip to Washington DC wouldn't have been covered more than a trip to Montréal.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Is he most upset that most of the French press thinks Quebec is insignificant or that his party isn't getting the positive coverage he thinks they deserve?

I think we know the answer.
They don't speak of it every day, but I can tell - and Brisavoine would probably agree, if his legendary stubborn character allowed him to, lol - whenever they do, it is in positive terms.

As quickly mentioned in the article Bris posted above, Québec has widely been seen as more business- and opportunity-friendly than France by the French in general and not just by the so called elite.
Something many actually envy in France, aside the enraged leftists who'd rather have everybody impoverished anyway, because poor people are easier to brainwash and enslave.

And it's been this way for long, eh. I can remember long ago, former PM Alain Juppé found shelter over there when he got in trouble with French courts, due to some corruption involving the French Conservative party.
When he came back from Québec, the guy seemed in a better shape than ever, almost youthful and happy, which is quite something in the case of a man like Juppé, lol.
He only had good things to say about his experience over there.

The time when they made fun of your accent is long gone, dude... Just move on.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 10:23 PM

I suppose this would be considered super racist in Anglophone Canada:
Quote:
L’islamologue Razika Adnani : «Il faut en finir avec l'idée que l'islamisme n'est pas l'islam»

Le Figaro
15 avril 2024

https://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-fr...islam-20240415

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you know what my view is on that.

It would be interesting to see how Ontario would manage public funding for Catholic schools if it became a political issue the public started caring about.

Would they abolish the Catholic school funding, or would they extend funding to schools of all religious groups?
Well just look back at the 2007 Ontario provincial election. Remember when former PC leader John Tory proposed funding for religious-based schools other than Catholic ones? That issue alone sunk the PC campaign.

As for Catholic schools I'm very sure that the vast majority of Ontarians support abolishing them. There have been some campaigns to start looking at alternatives but no government has taken on the issue as of yet. It would not be an easy task bureaucratically and would be very time consuming. Some people do like having catholic school boards just for the simple fact that it offers an alternative but is publicly funded so that the boards are in competition for students which equals more funding.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Islam is not a race.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Some people do like having catholic school boards just for the simple fact that it offers an alternative but is publicly funded so that the boards are in competition for students which equals more funding.
If this is the appeal, it would make infinitely more sense to implement a charter school system than to maintain Catholic school boards.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Well just look back at the 2007 Ontario provincial election. Remember when former PC leader John Tory proposed funding for religious-based schools other than Catholic ones? That issue alone sunk the PC campaign.

As for Catholic schools I'm very sure that the vast majority of Ontarians support abolishing them. There have been some campaigns to start looking at alternatives but no government has taken on the issue as of yet. It would not be an easy task bureaucratically and would be very time consuming. Some people do like having catholic school boards just for the simple fact that it offers an alternative but is publicly funded so that the boards are in competition for students which equals more funding.
I don't know that you'd want to put that to the test. I wonder if there are any poll results on the issue?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Racist? No. Of the few who would think about it, Islamism would probably be seen by most as a distortion of Islam.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:36 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
No one does studies like this in Canada, much less gets opinions like this published in major newspapers.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:39 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Once again this is an example from the past. I know 2007 isn't that far, but things have really changed a lot since then.

There was an initial shift around 2015, not because of Justin Trudeau though he did ride on it. (It wasn't just in Canada.)

And then we had another one pushing things even further along in the 2020s.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
If this is the appeal, it would make infinitely more sense to implement a charter school system than to maintain Catholic school boards.
I definitely don't see charter schools happening in Ontario. What I could see is the Catholic schools becoming specialized schools for the arts or trades and maybe some other things.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I don't know that you'd want to put that to the test. I wonder if there are any poll results on the issue?
I Googled it and every poll that came out over the last decade had the majority of Ontarians against funding separate Catholic school boards. Support for the Catholic system has fallen over time as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada