HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Today, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
True, we have a long road ahead for a healthy, vibrant downtown and the loss of tenants on that block sucks. I think it's no news / surprise to anyone that the area around Voodoo is not what it was in 2019. It's right at the edge of Old Town. But I'd say it's much better than a year or two ago from my own experience - I walked around there on a recent Monday afternoon and it was clean, felt safe and zero tents or drug users in sight. a few newish businesses a block south of Voodoo. We parked on NW 1st/Davis, again no tents in sight. Too quiet of course but honestly a pleasant walk along the waterfront, to Midtown Beer Garden, back to Old Town.

I'm not around your neighborhood much and I totally believe you about the crap going on at the Safeway etc. I hope that new city leadership, a new sobering center and new drug use/possession laws come this fall, will steer us in the right direction and they saturate that area with more police and social service people rather than just move it around. Seems the shutdown of drug activity at 4th/Washington has pushed it to the library/Safeway area.

Meanwhile -- not a starry-eyed denial of DT issues -- but recognition of some people investing in the city and helping us turn the corner. The situation DT isn't black or white. (These are actually separate articles even though it doesn't look like it haha):

Portland apparel brand moves flagship store, recommits to downtown core https://www.koin.com/local/portland-...downtown-core/

Menswear store Milworks opens second U.S. store in 'high drama' downtown Portland space https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...-shipping.html
I agree. Hopefully, the re-criminalization of fentanyl and other drugs, effective in July or August this year, along with some movement of street camping bans (I know this is controversial) will make a difference.

Civic investment is core to effect change and start to create a more positive perception of downtown.

Concerts, ice rinks, and light festivals - although good - aren't going to do it. It needs to be permanent and sustainable.

I believe a market district could achieve this, but there are probably other investments or demonstrations of civic investments that could accomplish this as well.

Old Posted Today, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
I agree. Hopefully, the re-criminalization of fentanyl and other drugs, effective in July or August this year, along with some movement of street camping bans (I know this is controversial) will make a difference.

Civic investment is core to effect change and start to create a more positive perception of downtown.

Concerts, ice rinks, and light festivals - although good - aren't going to do it. It needs to be permanent and sustainable.

I believe a market district could achieve this, but there are probably other investments or demonstrations of civic investments that could accomplish this as well.
Yeah the events alone alone aren’t going to solve everything — but they’re important in terms of bringing people DT who otherwise wouldn’t be there. I’d guess that most find a city that has challenges but is nothing like the dumpster fire portrayed by the Fox News outlets of the world. The more people who discover this, the more the narrative changes and a positive cycle starts to happen.

Old Posted Today, 5:14 PM

I wish it were true that everything was fine, but I also don't think that someone reading this thread would come away with an accurate impression of the state of downtown. Indeed, the owner of Stumptown Otaku had some thoughts about that particular article about his business.

As downtownpdx posted, Portland Gear opened a new store in the Ace Hotel relatively recently. They'll soon be joined in the building by Los Burros Supremos. In 11W, Stumptown just opened their new cafe and will soon be joined by Milworks. Nike is recommitting to downtown with a remodel of their store to the current 'Rise' concept, and has opened an interim store in Pioneer Place (which is feeling a lot busier since Din Tai Fung opened). BASED General store is moving into the space vacated by Frances May, who moved into the former Santos Gallery rug store. Mahler Jewelers just opened a new store in Block 216 and Ben Bridge will expand their current store (and take over a vacant space at Broadway / Yamhill while work is happening). Ikon Lounge just opened where Saucebox used to be in the Broadway Garage, not long after Kilo d'Coffee and Sixt opened in the same building. Kim Jong Grillin just moved to the Cart Blocks and Tokyo Sando to the Midtown Beer Garden; two food cart pods that have opened since the pandemic. Seattle's Can Can Culinary Cabaret is working on a remodel of the Paris Theater adjacent to Voodoo; gay club Badlands is now hiring so that they can open in the former Embers space; and music venue the 400 looks like it may finally open this year.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland