HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 4:43 PM

Here is an artists rendering from 1974 of what downtown might look like in 1985 after rail line relocation. I believe the round building at Dewdney and Albert is a convention centre

Source: City of Regina

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:37 PM

In the end, I would like to see ALT Hotels, Cineplex and Save On Foods as three main partners in the Railyard redevelopment tenant list. I also think lots of greenery and trees along the rail line would help border and hide that stretch. And evening lighting to brighten and help transition into the club district.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Here is an artists rendering from 1974 of what downtown might look like in 1985 after rail line relocation. I believe the round building at Dewdney and Albert is a convention centre

Source: City of Regina
Thank you Stormer for posting this picture; I actually remember this from when I was a young kid! At the time, mom had to explain it to me. After that, I was very impressed with this concept!

The feature that I always remembered here was the "Convention Centre."

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 9:46 PM

Fougere says developing this project tops his re-election platform.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Fougere says developing this project tops his re-election platform.
Let's hope so. Part of the project is already done. Moreover, if the CPR mainline is removed from the centre of town, that would certainly help with [potential] redevelopment of Sask Drive between Elphinstone and Albert.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:18 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Let's hope so. Part of the project is already done. Moreover, if the CPR mainline is removed from the centre of town, that would certainly help with [potential] redevelopment of Sask Drive between Elphinstone and Albert.
That's not in the plan; just the redev.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
That's not in the plan; just the redev.
I see. Thank you.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 9:57 PM

I thought I should bump this thread so we don't get too granular on this topic on the main Regina thread.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 6:10 PM

Thoughts on locating a small soccer stadium on the downtown RRI lands? I would think it would be an inappropriate use of very valuable lands.

"In addition to the pro team, it would be interesting for the revitalization of downtown Regina or Saskatoon if we could build a stadium closer to the downtown core."

For some reason they seem to have no interest in Mosaic.

http://cjme.com/article/1311425/grou...r-saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Thoughts on locating a small soccer stadium on the downtown RRI lands? I would think it would be an inappropriate use of very valuable lands.

"In addition to the pro team, it would be interesting for the revitalization of downtown Regina or Saskatoon if we could build a stadium closer to the downtown core."

For some reason they seem to have no interest in Mosaic.

http://cjme.com/article/1311425/grou...r-saskatchewan
When I read the cjme story I immediately thought of RRI as a potential site for a small soccer facility. I also wondered about the land where old Mosaic sits. Its re-development is many years away, but a soccer facility there would extend the sports/stadium history of that neighbourhood, while being close to downtown and the major hub of New Mosaic / Brand Centre / Indoor Soccer / Hockey arenas / etc.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
When I read the cjme story I immediately thought of RRI as a potential site for a small soccer facility. I also wondered about the land where old Mosaic sits. Its re-development is many years away, but a soccer facility there would extend the sports/stadium history of that neighbourhood, while being close to downtown and the major hub of New Mosaic / Brand Centre / Indoor Soccer / Hockey arenas / etc.
The old mosaic site makes much more sense, as does the University soccer pitch.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 2:28 AM

Nothing about the plan makes any sense, but I would personally chain myself to machinery if they tried putting a low density sports field at the railyards.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:14 AM

What isn't mentioned in that link is who they expect to pay for a stadium. The Lawson should be the next rec facility to be replaced, not a new soccer stadium. I think before you can talk about where to put it, there's has to be thought on how to finance it. I can't see there being much appetite for the city or province to pony up for a soccer stadium anytime soon.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:32 AM

The City is even more broke than I am and I'm eating expired noodles right now.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:33 AM

Quote:
The old mosaic site makes much more sense, as does the University soccer pitch.
Liebel field would be an interesting location as well.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 4:14 AM

There are so many other sports facilities that need upgrades or new construction before a midsized soccer facility like:

Olympic-sized pool
baseball park to replace Currie Field
upgrade or replacement of the Brandt Centre

A soccer stadium shouldn't even be on the radar.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 4:16 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Liebel field would be an interesting location as well.
Except leibel field has had pretty hefty investments for RMF and High School football, and it's heavily used for those purposes.

If someone wants to put up some temporary stadium, it likely wouldn't be at the university either. The Rams heavily use their practice field and there isn't enough room where the current soccer field is. I'm not sure there is space/capacity on the remaining university grounds to handle a field and 7-10k in stands... And I'm not sure the university will want to indefinitely lease out main campus land, though they did get into bed with Conexus on College, so who knows.

Basically, current Taylor Field feels like the only place they might be able to put another stadium within city limits though that doesn't really support the long term redevelopment plans of that area.

And it would feel like a complete waste of space to put a temporary stadium on the railyard lands that they're looking to urbanize and use as a connection between downtown and the warehouse district.

Maybe a suburban stadium on the other side of the Bypass out east?

I really have a hard time thinking it's worthwhile, but hey, I don't have millions upon millions of money to potentially burn.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 4:18 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
There are so many other sports facilities that need upgrades or new construction before a midsized soccer facility like:

Olympic-sized pool
baseball park to replace Currie Field
upgrade or replacement of the Brandt Centre

A soccer stadium shouldn't even be on the radar.
It would be completely privately financed, at least that's what the proponents are saying. Given your above points + the fact we just built a stadium, there's no way the city has funds or the public interest in giving funds to support a new stadium for a start-up league.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Except leibel field has had pretty hefty investments for RMF and High School football, and it's heavily used for those purposes.

If someone wants to put up some temporary stadium, it likely wouldn't be at the university either. The Rams heavily use their practice field and there isn't enough room where the current soccer field is. I'm not sure there is space/capacity on the remaining university grounds to handle a field and 7-10k in stands... And I'm not sure the university will want to indefinitely lease out main campus land, though they did get into bed with Conexus on College, so who knows.

Basically, current Taylor Field feels like the only place they might be able to put another stadium within city limits though that doesn't really support the long term redevelopment plans of that area.

And it would feel like a complete waste of space to put a temporary stadium on the railyard lands that they're looking to urbanize and use as a connection between downtown and the warehouse district.

Maybe a suburban stadium on the other side of the Bypass out east?

I really have a hard time thinking it's worthwhile, but hey, I don't have millions upon millions of money to potentially burn.
Soccer uses the Rams practice field way more than the Rams do. The University already had a long term proposal to build a small, multi-use stadium there. the render was posted here. Soccer is also played at Leibel Field - shown below:

Edit: They have expanded

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:57 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Soccer uses the Rams practice field way more than the Rams do. The University already had a long term proposal to build a small, multi-use stadium there. the render was posted here. Soccer is also played at Leibel Field - shown below:

Edit: They have expanded

Except the proponents want a soccer specific stadium, not a soccer/football stadium. If they use the Rams practice field for it, the Rams would need to move elsewhere and with Leibel, the RMF and High Schools would have to play elsewhere (though HS uses Mosaic sometimes).

And yes, they expanded, that's what I meant by RMF putting a fair bit of money into it lately; expansion and new change rooms/facilities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan