HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think they need a ton of space for VIP & player pickup and drop-off, security, broadcast trucks, media areas, tents, etc etc, that they thought it would be way too chaotic to have busses running all over the place.
Sorry but fewer players per NHL team than per CFL team. Sure there will be more VIPs but it would likely be similar in range to what they had at the Grey Cup last year. Broadcast trucks, media area, and security would be on par with normal IGF game day operations. The tents, etc would match the Grey Cup. Outside of the ice plant the Heritage Classic will fall closer to normal game day operations than the Grey Cup but will otherwise be in line with other events held at IGF and actually be on the smaller side compared with the Grey Cup and some of the concerts.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There is clearly a generational shift taking place on the issue of rapid transit.
You mean like older people who pay taxes are against BRT expansion and younger people who pay less or no taxes are in favour of BRT expansion!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
You mean like older people who pay taxes are against BRT expansion and younger people who pay less or no taxes are in favour of BRT expansion!
Who do you think will be paying for BRT? It's not the retired 65 year old guy.

Times have changed, our city will not remain in the mold cast by the boomers. Your cohort has had its day

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
^Yeah BJ 100% at the very least the roads and access to stadium will done for it. City set large bonuses/fines for early/late days. IIRC Bituminex is the contractor, they're very good.
Yeah I know all about it. Just have been disconnected from the IGF stuff as I'm busy paying attention elsewhere. I haven't heard anything about having the station open to buses for the HC. Just the ice pant stuff. The station structures wont be complete until next year for sure. But maybe they'll let the uses in.

Both Bituminex and Borland will be involved. I had thought it was Borland working at the stadium, but may have got them mixed up.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Could've fooled me haha

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Sorry but fewer players per NHL team than per CFL team. Sure there will be more VIPs but it would likely be similar in range to what they had at the Grey Cup last year. Broadcast trucks, media area, and security would be on par with normal IGF game day operations. The tents, etc would match the Grey Cup. Outside of the ice plant the Heritage Classic will fall closer to normal game day operations than the Grey Cup but will otherwise be in line with other events held at IGF and actually be on the smaller side compared with the Grey Cup and some of the concerts.
I know the VP of Marketing of the Oilers. He was at the Grey Cup and said this is a significantly bigger event than GC was. Security will be waaaay more intense: Gretzky, Messier, Bettman, Daly... coverage from way more media. Way bigger starts. It doesn't compare. What did GC have.. Gary Orridge??

This event is far beyond the scale of the Grey Cup in numerous areas.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 6:17 PM

^ Of course someone from Edmonton would think that Gretzky and Messier are the biggest sports stars in the history of the world and any appearance is automatically A Huge Deal.

Get a grip, it's a regular season NHL game with some old timers playing the day before.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 9:42 PM

Quote:
I know the VP of Marketing of the Oilers. He was at the Grey Cup and said this is a significantly bigger event than GC was. Security will be waaaay more intense: Gretzky, Messier, Bettman, Daly... coverage from way more media. Way bigger starts. It doesn't compare. What did GC have.. Gary Orridge??

This event is far beyond the scale of the Grey Cup in numerous areas.
IGF actually is more secure and more segregated than MTS Centre. There are dedicated VIP entrances in the facility and the event level is fully isolated from the stands. They already have in place screening processes to keep the VIPs separated into the lounge or suite level. There is nothing even comparable at MTS Centre. In terms of broadcasting/media side, the tv production side is fairly built in. You don't notice the production trailer like you would at the old CanadInn Stadium. If they have an on-site production trailer it is well out of public view. For CFL events the teams, coaches, etc mostly use the lot next to the stadium and have special passes. The larger "U lot" across the street has its own special designation for IGF event day. That lot could quickly be fenced in, passes issued to VIPs, etc without any real issue if needed.

Sure the NHL might want to think the HC is bigger than the Grey Cup but the possible pay attendance to both events in Winnipeg clearly shows the Grey Cup had more (possible) people there which is what is going to matter in terms of transit.

In terms of VIPs at the HC, them leaving the event could be where issues come up. Currently there is horrible gridlock post-event. If the buses are moved to the IGF station route that could free up the usual bus route to be dedicate to VIP exit.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 2:00 PM

MTS Centre has the entrance off Carlton that goes under Hargave down to event level. Don't think you can get much more secure than that really. Private underground entrance. IGF has a similar entrance too.

Anyways, will be interesting to see how they have things set-up.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 2:58 PM

I would expect the Heritage Classic event setup is similar to the Grey Cup with the possible change of busses to the transit loop on the north side if it is ready.

Overall, IGF is better setup for authorized, covert entry and exit if needed that MTS Centre. It is nearly impossible to get to the suite level at MTS Centre without going through the general entrances but at IGF there are ways around that.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 6:10 PM
Aspiring.

Vintage Winnipeg posted this picture on Facebook today - they found it on Twitter yesterday.
The caption on FB reads:
"This was a promotional image of what Portage Avenue would look like with a light rail system. This image was created in 1959."
They then ask that if anyone out there has other info or images to please get in touch.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 7:28 PM

That's Stephen Juba's wacky monorail, notable for having staircases built directly from the curbs, rendering curb lanes impassable.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
Vintage Winnipeg posted this picture on Facebook today - they found it on Twitter yesterday.
The caption on FB reads:
"This was a promotional image of what Portage Avenue would look like with a light rail system. This image was created in 1959."
They then ask that if anyone out there has other info or images to please get in touch.

Once upon a time, someone had a vision for Winnipeg...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 10:23 PM

I would trade the skywalks for that. Or have the skywalks as the access points to the platforms!!!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Once upon a time, someone had a vision for Winnipeg...
I've heard those things are awfully loud...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:53 AM
BANNED

Does anyone know if the diamond lanes will return to operation on Regent Avenue now that the Plessis Underpass is complete? Currently the signs are still removed from the overhead posts and the diamond markings are still missing from the curb lanes.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:03 PM

Are they actually needed on Regent east of Peguis? I find traffic flows very well from there to Plessis, as there is only one traffic light. With 3 lanes and no on street parking, I have almost never ran into traffic problems.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:33 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I've heard those things are awfully loud...
Can be. I was in Chicago in 2007 and walking near the Loop Line (Brown) it was and the steel girders holding up the track weren't exactly pretty...but hey, the trains move A LOT of people at once. So it's not bad at all.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:35 PM

CT Bus 659

I spotted one of those 23 yr. old Calgary Transit buses last week on the 162 (?) route at Main @ Broadway.

I noticed that the front and side electronic signs were not working.

I rode it to Main @ Stradbrook.

I noticed that the seats are CT style colours, and were the vinyl type like days of old.

Yes, sometimes they'd flash the route but something electrical is not working properly.

This was rebadged bus # 659.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
I would trade the skywalks for that. Or have the skywalks as the access points to the platforms!!!
Yeah, the thing about the Chicago El train is having to climb steep stairs up and down.

In Toronto, they have escalators, or if you do have to climb stairs then they are short, like at King St. Station.

Worst station I've ever had to use -- Montreal's Lucien L'Allier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan