HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:14 PM

Olympic Sized Pools

I swim at the Rose Bowl Aquatics Center in Pasadena.

We Have two Olympic sized pools.

The Competition pool is 50m long by 25 Yds wide.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1512.../data=!3m1!1e3Google Maps

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

A long, long time ago we discussed a circus' winter headquarters that was (if I remember correctly) located in an area west of Culver City. . .

. . . but I don't recall the Tom Mix Circus Winter Quarters in, of all places, Compton!

Steve Minor at flickr
The caption for this photo from 'Compton' by Robert Lee Johnson claims to show Tom Mix's winter quarters in Compton. I've studied the picture for a while, and discounted several buildings, but still can't decide which one belonged to Tom Mix.

books.google.com

Even Tom Mix's own adverts don't give a street address. You just write to "Tom Mix Circus and Wild West, Winter Quarters, Compton, California."

www.americanradiohistory.com (PDF file)

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The filming locations on IMDb include Melrose and Heliotrope Avenue. I think I can see Ben Valle Co (grocers) in the background of one of the shots, and the 1932 CD lists a branch at 4315 Melrose. This appears to be e_r's "house-like" building, which still stands at 707 N Heliotrope Drive.

GSV

Another NLA'er previously mentioned this 707 Heliotrope address as the location for a late '80s-early '90s eatery: Club Mambo. Evidently, the structure served as a Phelps & Terkel men's clothing store ('28-early '30s) and a liquor store (in '35), around the time when Chester's film was produced.

Quote:
The notion of repurposing a house or small business as a restaurant, of course, invites recollections of other such places mentioned on NLA, e.g., Butterfield's (8426 Sunset Blvd.) and possibly Father Yod's The Source (8301 Sunset Blvd.). From the early '80s - Cafe Mambo, (707 Heliotrope Drive) and Cha Cha Cha (656 Virgil Ave.) There were more, I recall at least two upscale French and/or Italian restaurants in the Valley. A cursory permit search suggests Butterfield's may have started out with a different street address, perhaps on De Longpre. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=41365

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
So a *possible* explanation is that a "junior Olympic" pool was installed in 1926, promoted as an "Olympic Sized Pool" and later it was narrowed and the fancy North end shape made by filling in the corners.

I do not recall seeing any connection with nationally/internationally recognized competitive swimming at the Hotel and doubt the so-called "Olympic Sized" pool was literally designed for competitive swimming events, conforming to specific dimensions and standards. Nor was it intended to cause guests to believe olympic swimming events transpired there. Rather, the use of poetic license comes to mind and it is more likely that the characterization is but a colloquial expression used to describe an extremely large swimming pool - maybe even big enough to accommodate Tom Mix and Tony, The Wonder Horse..

Note that the Ambassador Hotel, which also boasted a large (Olympic-like) pool that may have been used for "competitive" events, but may not have tightly conformed to the Olympic Federation's standards.

https://bizarrela.com/wp-content/upl..._seal_1930.jpg

https://bizarrela.com/wp-content/upl...s_backside.jpghttps://bizarrela.com/wp-content/upl...ool_Club-a.jpg

Ambassador's Lido Club was known for "Feminine Conditioning."
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cb/d5/33/c...2dbe515386.jpg

In a discussion regarding six LA Hotel pools, the Mondrian's pool is described as follows:
Quote:
The pretty pool itself might seem somewhat small -- if anyone was here to work on their butterfly stroke. . . . . . it's resiliently Olympic-sized. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/los-angeles-best-hotel-pools/index.html

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger...4/aarider6.jpg

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l800...53644545_1.jpg

http://www.circusesandsideshows.com/...rcus8large.jpg

http://www.circusesandsideshows.com/...s10large_7.jpg

Last edited by Godzilla; Sep 11, 2019 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The caption for this photo from 'Compton' by Robert Lee Johnson claims to show Tom Mix's winter quarters in Compton.

I've studied the picture for a while, and discounted several buildings, but still can't decide which one belonged to Tom Mix.
Here's an enlargement that might help.

There's a building at lower left that might be a possibility.

This one.

DETAIL

. . .of course there are other possibilities as well.

Noir Noir, is the intersection of N. Wilmington and W. Palmer Street (formerly TEREBINTH) visible in Hoss' aerial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
May not be the location in your picture e_r but in 1935 the Tom Mix Circus winter quarters was in a Samson Tire plant.

archive.org - Variety - November 1935

I guess this means an old Samson Tire location in Compton - the company moved to the City Of Commerce in 1928.

The only address I can find for Samson in Compton.

rescarta.lapl.org

Terebinth is now W. Palmer Street.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 11, 2019 at 10:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 9:54 PM

Here's an old map of Compton (1926) that might come in handy.

Old file of mine.

I see Terebinth St. listed.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 11, 2019 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:20 PM

The person that took the Tom Mix Winter Quarter pic also took this snapshot of the Ambassador Hotel.

flickr

I don't recall the huge field of flowers out front.

A closer look.

DETAIl

odinthor, any idea what kind of flowers they are?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 11, 2019 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
The person that took the Tom Mix Winter Quarter pic also took this snapshot of the Ambassador Hotel.

flickr

I don't recall the huge field of flowers out front.

A closer look.

DETAIl

odinthor, any idea what find of flowers they are?

Hmmmm, e_r . . . [studies pic] . . . It's pretty much too indistinct to tell; but from the size and look of the plants, I'm thinking either Geraniums, Dahlias, or perhaps Chrysanthemums; if it was the Yuletide, it could be small potted Poinsettias.

At one point, Geraniums were certainly at hand:

LA Times, 1/2/1927, via ProQuest via CSULB Library

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 11:33 PM

In looking for clues about the above, I found this article, which seemed quite interesting to me; and I thought I'd share it. Much edited, and without its photo:

LA Times of 2/28/1971, via ProQuest, via CSULB Library

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Another NLA'er previously mentioned this 707 Heliotrope address as the location for a late '80s-early '90s eatery: Club Mambo. Evidently, the structure served as a Phelps & Terkel men's clothing store ('28-early '30s) and a liquor store (in '35), around the time when Chester's film was produced.
Now shuttered Café Bijou was originally home of Lou Costello on Ventura Blvd- Sherman Oaks

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:10 AM

Quote:

Noir Noir, is the intersection of N. Wilmington and W. Palmer Street (formerly TEREBINTH) visible in Hoss' aerial?

No it's not e_r. It would be back behind the camera and off to the left.

It could still be a Samson Tire Co. building at N. Wilmington/Terebinth (Palmer) in the original picture

The circus could have changed quarters to another location in Compton between 1935 and 1937.

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Sep 12, 2019 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:13 AM

So unless I'm misreading something, either the caption of the Compton photo is wrong, or the map has North oriented incorrectly. I'm going with the map is correct, and that the dark line is not Compton Blvd, but rather Main St. This puts the main left-right road just below center as Wilmington, and Terebinth would then be two blocks to the left. Does this make sense?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:42 AM

Quote:
May not be the location in your picture e_r but in 1935 the Tom Mix Circus winter quarters was in a Samson Tire plant.

archive.org - Variety - November 1935

I guess this means an old Samson Tire location in Compton - the company moved to the City Of Commerce in 1928.

The only address I can find for Samson in Compton.

rescarta.lapl.org

Terebinth is now W. Palmer Street.

October 26, 1935, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LA Public Library

Three ten North Tamarind was a little house, so maybe some circus staff lived there. The old factory was across the street.

Here is the site of the old tire factory as it has been redeveloped. Please note Arbutus St. at upper right, between Alameda and Tamarind:

Googlemap

May 1925 Compton Sanborn Map, showing the Samson Tire and Rubber plant and, in the lower right corner, the house at 310 N. Tamarind.
At upper right is Arbutus Street. Terebinth has not yet been renamed Palmer:

ProQuest via LA Public Library

September 1938 Compton Sanborn Map, with the old Samson plant now operated by U.S. Tire and Rubber:

ProQuest via LAPL

An article on Tom Mix in the February 21, 1937, Los Angeles Times says, “At season’s end, the show retires to winter quarters at Anniston, Ala., and
Tom returns to Hollywood. . . . Next winter he may house the troupe here.” So the winter of 1935-36 may have been the last one in Compton.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Sep 12, 2019 at 7:49 AM. Reason: 2 n's in Anniston

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojack View Post
So unless I'm misreading something, either the caption of the Compton photo is wrong, or the map has North oriented incorrectly. I'm going with the map is correct, and that the dark line is not Compton Blvd, but rather Main St. This puts the main left-right road just below center as Wilmington, and Terebinth would then be two blocks to the left. Does this make sense?
Main was renamed Compton Blvd and Wilmington was renamed Willowbrook.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojack View Post

Second go at this thanks to Lojack who I think is right as regards the streets. I went with the present day
map with the changed street names and got confused.

I think this is the site where the Samson and US Tire factories, from Flyingwedge's Sanborn maps, stood
at N. Wilmington and Terebinth.

I can't spot a building like the one in the Winter Quarters picture though.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Quote:
The notion of repurposing a house or small business as a restaurant, of course, invites recollections of other such places mentioned on NLA, e.g., Butterfield's (8426 Sunset Blvd.) and possibly Father Yod's The Source (8301 Sunset Blvd.). From the early '80s - Cafe Mambo, (707 Heliotrope Drive) and Cha Cha Cha (656 Virgil Ave.) There were more, I recall at least two upscale French and/or Italian restaurants in the Valley. A cursory permit search suggests Butterfield's may have started out with a different street address, perhaps on De Longpre. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=41365

Marix Tex Mex Cafe, 1108 N Flores St., West Hollywood. (Open.)

The 8795 Sunset Blvd. address, entrance is actually on Horn Ave., was a Spanish style residence which became the Café Gala in the 40's and 50's, then it was the Armenian restaurant Har-Omar through 1965. By 1969 it became Kavkaz, a Russian-Armenian restaurant, and then in 1982 it became Spago's until they relocated in 2001. It's been vacant since then, though some film companies have shot there. For quite awhile someone was trying to open a day care center--?--at that location, but no one thought that was a good idea.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:04 PM

Speaking of Tom Mix, I was watching a retro program recently and Gary Owens announced:
"Contrary to popular belief, Tom Mix is not a cowboy actor. It's the name of a popular turkey stuffing."

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 8:38 PM

The Formosa Cafe - Back to the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
[...]
L.A. Magazine article

Formosa Café: Interior
7156 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90046
This 90-year-old restaurant enjoys city landmark status, which protects the building, but not the ancient booths, lanterns, and funk inside that made this a favorite of film location scouts and fans of old Hollywood noir. A remodeling in July stripped the interior and replaced it with less.

A commenter (Scott Frank) says:

The Formosa renovation is absolutely horrible - it's like they removed all traces of personality and made it as bland as possible. It's doesn't even look like a McBar, it looks like whoever renovated it couldn't be bothered to do any decorating at all, it's almost blank inside. The situation is weird, since the personalityof the interior was really the only reason you went. Now...no reason to go at all.

Article link: HERE.
[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
The Formosa Cafe Has Suddenly Shut Down
Los Angeles Magazine / January 6, 2017
http://www.lamag.com/askchris/formos...suddenly-shut/

A friend and I have been planning to get to the remodeled Formosa Cafe, but haven't made it yet, but it's gotten rave reviews. After the disastrous remodeling (stripping) in 2012 or 13, which took away everything that anyone liked about the old place, this 1933 Group stepped in and brought it back to the past!

The 1933 Group spent two-and-a-half years and a reported $2.4 million resurrecting the landmark property. The team brought in master craftsmen to meticulously restore what remained of the original Formosa–which operated from 1945 until 2016–while staying true to the look from the spot’s mid-century heyday. They located and kept many of the most memorable bits of decor, from the autographed black-and-white photos, to the silk lanterns, to that green neon script along Route 66.

The new menu by chef David Kuo harks back to the last owner, Vince Jung, grandson of Lem Quon. Quon’s Cantonese fare is updated with Chinese-American dishes like General Tso's cauliflower, orange chicken, and beef with broccoli. Handcrafted old fashioned Hollywood cocktails are part of the restored restaurant menu as well.

Above: It opened in 1939, so not sure of the 1945-2016 reference in that paragraph.

Info above from KTLA; link has news videos of the reopening:
https://ktla.com/2019/06/24/formosa-...est-hollywood/

Bobby Green, designer and co-owner of the 1933 Group gives a little tour of the remodeled Formosa Cafe.

Video Link

He references the bar from the Yee Mee Loo location, see below.

Quote:
[edited]
"The absolute king of all small bars is also the bar where I was served my first drink. Although it no longer exists it was located in the Chinatown section of downtown Los Angeles. It was attached to a restaurant called Yee Mee Loo.

The bar was probably 25 feet long and no wider than a large automobile. It was long, narrow and dark as night any time of day. There were no windows and the ornately carved bar with Chinese motif was itself a work of art. It was the bar where time stood still.
-a vanishing world - the world's smallest bars

Here's a look at Yee Mee Loo in the 1940's.

LAPL

The Formosa Cafe

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks to Lojack.

I think this is the site where the Samson and US Tire factories, from Flyingwedge's Sanborn maps, stood at N. Wilmington and Terebinth.

I can't spot a building like the one in the Winter Quarters picture though.
We're getting closer and closer.

I can add this....

San Bernardino Sun Nov. 21, 1939

It's certain now. The building has NOT survived.

Has the Fry Roofing Co. been mentioned? --perhaps it will lead us to additional photographs of the place. (pre-fire, of course)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
We're getting closer and closer.

I can add this....

It's certain now. The building has NOT survived.

Has the Fry Roofing Co. been mentioned? --perhaps it will lead us to additional photographs of the place. (pre-fire, of course)

I did a Google search on "Fry Roofing Company" and came up with a 1944 California Supreme Court decision. It seemed to be about a land transaction, but it did have plot numbers(Boland Track). Searching for "Boland Track", I came up with a real estate listing for an adjoining plot. I think Fry Roofing was located on Mona Blvd(which was Wilmington) north of Rosecrans(then Orange). It's currently a Owens Corning Roofing location. So if this is the location, it'd be off the photo to the left.

ETA: Here's the history of the Fry Foundation and includes the company history as well. They had 7 plants(including Compton), and supplied roofing to Sears. By 1976, they had 24 plants and that were sold to Owens Corning in an all cash sale.

Last edited by BillinGlendaleCA; Sep 12, 2019 at 11:36 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos