HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

Apparently the sun set in the north that evening.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 5:09 AM

©ILNY

©ILNY

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 5:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camstonisland View Post
I hope there are LEDs or something along the edges of the tower and on the vents (or whatever the dark area at the top is). as seen in hunser's picture, it doesn't make a big mark on the night skyline. maybe when some billionaires move in it will stand out more

It is a stunning and beautiful building. Watch this clip...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 4, 2014 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 6:40 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 4:19 AM

Looks like they have two panels of the crown lit. I can't wait to see the full effect of the crown.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 1:15 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:07 PM

Anyone have any idea why the tower wasn't designed in reverse? By that I mean the roof would slope down toward Central Park whereas the current design is the opposite. I would think that sloping it away from the Park would help with shadowing and having the 'waterfalls' facing north would feel more organic with the surroundings.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
Anyone have any idea why the tower wasn't designed in reverse? By that I mean the roof would slope down toward Central Park whereas the current design is the opposite. I would think that sloping it away from the Park would help with shadowing and having the 'waterfalls' facing north would feel more organic with the surroundings.
It wouldn't help with the shadowing, all buildings will cause shadow. For example, the top 100 to 200 ft of the tower could be cut off, and basically the shadow would be the same.

One of the most interesting parts of the One57 super skyscrapers episode is the window washing rig placement...

http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/reso...w-washing-rig/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:09 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Feb 27...

©newyorkxglb on Instagram

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
I don't think that would make any sense at all. As it is, the building gives the impression of facing the park and trailing the rest of the Midtown skyline behind it, like the body of a beast or something. Turn it around and the building would seem to turn its back on the park, and would give Midtown in general a more insular cast.

And please remember, re: shadows: that's not actually a thing.

(Aside: I was luke-warm about this building at first, but it has really been growing on me. I especially like that south-facing facade.)

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 6:40 PM
BANNED

The south side is gorgeous.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 6:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

For anyone interested in the effect of shadows on the landscape, you can use arc gis to study this if you have ArcGIS: http://video.arcgis.com/watch/279/vo...ysis-over-time

Also, using basic trig to figure it out at certain times of day via excel, the software will give you precise indications at certain times of the day based on the angle of the sun. Google Earth can also be used using the 3D models and sunlight feature. I find the experimental lighting feature which is still in a beta form gives some very realistic shadow projections.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 10:13 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of March 7th, 2014...

©jobicny on Instagram

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:12 AM
New Yorker for life

The people making the case about shadows like to predict on what day of the year, and at what time the shadow would be the greatest.

As if that would keep anyone out of the park.

Some of these photos are older, but I do predict that at whatever day of the year they were taken, and at what time, there is a sun...

Kevin G Saunders

http://www.oyster.com/new-york-city/...ark-view-room/

http://www.oyster.com/new-york-city/...ark-view-room/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Hardly noticeable in this view...

rjdibella

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:29 AM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/03/...it-over-one57/

Extell hit with $27M suit over One57
Contractor claims developer delayed and disrupted its work

March 14, 2014
By David Jones

Quote:
Extell Development is facing a $27 million lawsuit from contractor Five Star Electric Corp., which claims non-payment for work done at the One57 hotel condo site — the location where a tower crane collapsed following Hurricane Sandy.

In the suit filed March 7 in Manhattan Supreme Court, Five Star claims it signed a contract for the project with Extell in 2010, through its construction manager Bovis Lend Lease LMB Inc. (now known as Lend Lease). The development was then known as Carnegie Tower, a 76-story hotel and luxury residential building, at 157 West 57th Street, in Manhattan.

The Ozone Park, Queens-based electrical contractor claims its work was delayed and disrupted by Extell’s failure to provide an adequate and complete design for the project, failure to properly manage the work, and failure to process change orders. The suit claims that “dramatic changes” were made during the course of the work, equal to 124 percent of the original contract price. The contact price is not disclosed in the suit.

The suit claims that Five Star was forced to complete its work in a manner that was out of sequence, resulting in substantially increased costs. Separately, the wife of Five Star electrician who allegedly died as a result of an incident at the site filed a lawsuit against Extell and Lend Lease last year, as previously reported.

As The Real Deal reported last month, the Park Hyatt Hotel at One57, is set to open for business on Aug. 28, and will occupy the first 30 floors of the Extell condo tower.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:16 AM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2014/03/16/fdny-ba...t-one57-tower/

FDNY battles blaze at One57 tower

By Erin Calabrese
March 16, 2014

Quote:
It took some 50 firefighters more than an hour to extinguish a loading dock fire at the under-construction One57 luxury tower Saturday night.

The fire started in plywood and other debris, and damaged the loading dock and some of the scaffolding, according to Deputy Fire Chief Joseph Carlsen.

newdasilva@flickr.com

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 7:26 PM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:57 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive