HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 7:49 AM

On the plus side it might pull us out of drought for a bit... On the downside is of course the probable flooding will have on residents and construction projects, so with this info I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the tunnel is online. Thanks for the link, Kevin.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 9:25 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Please God, let us get a strong El Nino and some big time rain events this Fall/Winter.

Farmer's Almanac predicted a very wet winter for us. Maybe they were off by a few months.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:37 PM

The weird part about our current conditions is that we aren't in a drought regarding plants and such, but our lake levels are still so low because a lot of the rain we have received over the last 6 months wasn't further to the west. We have actually been at or above precipitation averages the last couple of years I believe.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecreek View Post
Well I think this actually might get started. The City's permit site has "Trenching and Conduit Plans for Relocation of Overhead Lines along Red River" which were approved last month and I saw some work being done on the north end of the lot. The first attachment shows Manchester Texas Financial as the developer. SPL-SP-2013-0273DS_0~001.
I can confirm, I leave for work and pass by this every day around 845am. I always see 4-5 construction workers in the lot/alley.

In due time.. I hope!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 11:13 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
The weird part about our current conditions is that we aren't in a drought regarding plants and such, but our lake levels are still so low because a lot of the rain we have received over the last 6 months wasn't further to the west. We have actually been at or above precipitation averages the last couple of years I believe.
While its true we have been at or above average for yearly rainfall the past 2 years, when you have 2 to 3 months of bone dry weather than a month or two of flooding, it does little to help even the soil moisture let alone the lake levels. This winter is ranked as the 4th driest on record. What soil moisture that was replenished with the floods this past October is gone. We need the rainfall to be distributed throughout the year so considering we recieved nearly half our annual rainfall last year in one month to push us over our average is just a number and really doesn't take into account how abnormally long the dry periods have become. Also people forget that when we have a ton of rain fall in a short amount of time, most of that runs off before really soaking into the ground. Another thing to remember is only pockets of Central Texas ended up at or above average, that includes our two official recording areas but the majority of the region did not fare so well.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 11:25 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

That big rain we got late last year, if it had been just a few miles west, it would have filled our lakes.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 11:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
That big rain we got late last year, if it had been just a few miles west, it would have filled our lakes.
Thats very true, had it been 20 miles west, it would have done wonders for Lake Travis.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 9:03 AM
Meh

We really need more frequent average rains to get us back to where we need to be rather than huge floods. The way I heard it described, which made some sense, was imagine taking a bone dry sponge, all hard and dry, and dunking it into a sink basin very fast and then pulling it back out. The sponge would be wet but wouldn't have had time to soak up a lot of water. That's what those huge rains do. We might get a ton of rain, but most of it just becomes runoff. That's why it floods in the first place. The ground can't soak up the water fast enough, so it just runs off. A slower rain of 10 to 12 inches over 2 weeks would be more what we'd need and would end our drought. I remember back in 2007 we had rain like that where the lakes were actually above flood stage. I remember it raining here nearly every day for 2 weeks. It was incredible. It wasn't even heavy rain, just slow steady rain. Of course if you get a heavy rain like we had back in October right on top of the lake it would simply fill the lake. It's when we get it over dry land that it just runs off and also evaporates before it can reach the lakes.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:41 PM

By the way, there's a huge tent on the Fairmont lot right now, so yeah, all of that activity we saw was for SXSW.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 7:25 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

That's a great analogy Kevin.

If im not mistaken, MTV's Woody Awards will be on that site as it has been for the past couple of years. Lets hope they have to find a new spot next year.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 9:04 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
That's a great analogy Kevin.

If im not mistaken, MTV's Woody Awards will be on that site as it has been for the past couple of years. Lets hope they have to find a new spot next year.
Actually...I think the Woody's were held on Auditorium Shores.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 9:13 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Auditorium Shores is where they have the SXSW Free Concert shows throughout the music portion.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Auditorium Shores is where they have the SXSW Free Concert shows throughout the music portion.
I thought they were at Austin music hall...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 9:20 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Attending the Woody's is free. In fact, I just spoke to an acquaintance who attended one a few years back. It was held at Auditorium Shores.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 10:27 PM
Member since 2001

Are we talking about the Woody's or the Fairmont here?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Are we talking about the Woody's or the Fairmont here?
I get a woody thinking about the Fairmont.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 2:58 AM
Meh

^I'm glad someone else said it, because I wanted to.

By the way, the free SXSW concerts are at Butler Park the 13th through the 15th - http://sxsw.com/free

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 12:22 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Im not trying to argue but look online. The Woodies are not at Auditorium Shores. The woodies are and have for the past couple of years been at Red River and Cesar Chavez. If you do not believe me here is a link from last year.

http://schedule.sxsw.com/2013/events/event_OE02709

Thursday, March 14
1:30PM -10:00PM

Venue Info
1st & Red River Parking Lot

118 Red River St

Age Policy: All Ages

Nuff Said...

As for Austin Music Hall, there are assorted concert events each day with Perez Hiltons SXSW party held on Saturday.

I go to SXSW every year and I have been to the woodies as well as events at the concert hall, I'm not brain dead on where events are held in my own city. Sheesh

Now that the confusion has been cleared up once and for all, back to Fairmont. Hopefully we will hear some news about the project once SXSW is over.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Im not trying to argue but look online. The Woodies are not at Auditorium Shores. The woodies are and have for the past couple of years been at Red River and Cesar Chavez. If you do not believe me here is a link from last year.

http://schedule.sxsw.com/2013/events/event_OE02709

Thursday, March 14
1:30PM -10:00PM

Venue Info
1st & Red River Parking Lot

118 Red River St

Age Policy: All Ages

Nuff Said...

As for Austin Music Hall, there are assorted concert events each day with Perez Hiltons SXSW party held on Saturday.

I go to SXSW every year and I have been to the woodies as well as events at the concert hall, I'm not brain dead on where events are held in my own city. Sheesh

Now that the confusion has been cleared up once and for all, back to Fairmont. Hopefully we will hear some news about the project once SXSW is over.
JDawg is now the official SSP Woody expert.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:26 PM
Member since 2001

It would be kind of hard to have a Woody...sorry, hold a Woody...dang it; The Woody's would not be able to use Auditorium Shores this year since its currently going through a refurbishment/upgrade.

In any case...let's move on, please.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin