HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 9:56 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

2500 Smallman Street additional renderings.

http://www.2500smallman.com/drawings/renderings.html

"Starting at $1.2m; Delivery of fall 2015"

Pretty nice aerial video of construction:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 10:13 PM
Ex Houstonian

I still dont get that development and why its so incredibly expensive, makes no sense to me but whatever, at least it will bring money into the area.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 11:42 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Early 1900's The strip reached 18,000 residents. Now less than a thousand? Would love to see that go up. The strip could turn into the chic neighborhood for Pittsburgh yuppies. Everything over priced. Like Soho.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 1:21 AM
JasonInPGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
1.)So:

1,366 under construction/approved
481 recently opened
100+ proposed
I stand corrected.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post
1. Buncher - 800 Units
2. Wholey Building - 144 Units
3. Three Crossings - 300 Units
4. Pittsburgh Brass Building Conversion - 14 Units
5. 1100 Smallman - 59 Units

Total: 1317 Units

I consulted my Pittsburgh Development map, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...w.k68uIzHJHFn8
Thank you for sharing this. I been looking for a map like this. It is easy to find for crime and pedophiles, but for some reason not for construction and proposals in your city.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviderik View Post
Early 1900's The strip reached 18,000 residents. Now less than a thousand? Would love to see that go up. The strip could turn into the chic neighborhood for Pittsburgh yuppies. Everything over priced. Like Soho.
I've been arguing for awhile in some ways the Strip developing into that is the best-case scenario for the city as a whole. Making an area which had barely 200 residents in the year 2000 become the new high-end yuppie neighborhood means virtually no one is being gentrified out. And if enough development is thrust into the Strip/Downtown, it should ease rental prices elsewhere in the city nominally (although not so much for homeownership, because the Strip just isn't going to be offering the same sort of housing stock as somewhere like East Liberty, or even South Side or Lawrenceville).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 12:15 PM

I'm not sure it matters where it happens, but I agree the more new units the better if you are concerned about the future pricing of the pre-existing older units in the City.

However, I also hope a decent percentage of these units are on the small side, because that will affect future affordability.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 12:56 PM

Hmm, more details which have me a bit confused:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201412180265

Quote:
The Buncher Co. is jumping into the burgeoning Strip District housing market in a big way, teaming with a Cleveland developer to build 400 luxury apartments along the Allegheny riverfront. NRP Group LLC has reached a deal to develop the $100 million complex along the river’s edge stretching from 19th to 21st Street as part of Buncher’s $450 million Riverfront Landing residential and office development. The project would go a long way toward fulfilling Buncher’s goal of building more than 750 residential units on 37 acres of prime riverfront property it owns off Smallman Street, much of which is now used for parking.
. . .
In all, the Cleveland firm expects to develop as many as 800 units at Riverfront Landing, with a total investment “north of $200 million,” said P. Christopher Dirr, NRP vice president of development. Although the company has been doing work in other parts of the region, this will be its first project in the city. NRP will develop the 400-unit complex on two parcels starting at 21st Street and Waterfront Place, a new road being built by Buncher behind the produce terminal.
And with this picture:

So the first thing that has me confused is the reference to 19th Street. That is because in the PLDP, the four parcels are defined by 16th, 17th, 18th, 20th, and 21st. 19th Street would be right in the middle of the third parcel (counting from 16th Street):

The second thing that has me confused is the "Proposed site of development" outlined in the attached map. That goes down just short of 17th Street, not all the way to 16th. I don't think I have seen that broken out as any sort of unit before--Buncher had planned a widened 17th as a sort of plaza when they were going to tear down that end of the Produce Terminal, but had always indicated another residential building between 17th and 16th along the same lines as the others. Note though that 19th is around halfway through that area. Also, there is a road of sorts at that location a bit east of 17th:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...f915a15aa21b34

So one interpretation of all this is that the entire 800 units is going in that outline area between 17th and 21st, with 400 units to start between 19th and 21st. That is not as good as 400 units to go from 20th to 21st, but it is better than 400 units from 18th to 21st, which is what two parcels would have meant in the old plan. And at the same scale, there would now be room for another 300-400 units or so to the west short of 16th, assuming that is outside the 800-unit area.

If that is what is planned, then I have to adjust my height estimate. The area between 19th and 21st is a pretty close match to the area Three Crossing is going into--again, a bit narrower actually because of the river. So with 400 units instead of 300 units, that might be a couple more stories than Three Crossings, although with a sufficiently dense design it could be just one more, and with more of a base for parking and amenities it could be as much as three more. So, call it in the 7-9 range.

I liked 10-12 better, but 7-9 would not be so bad. That is a good match for the Cork Factory, which has always been my sort of minimal goal. You might also have to add another story or two for Phase 2 to get to 800 units--the area between 19th and the apparent new street short of 17th is smaller than the area between 19th and 21st as the distance from Railroad/Waterfront Place and the river continues to narrow.

But again, a lot of this is still speculation.

Last edited by BrianTH; Dec 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 4:53 PM

I believe the area marked out in the PG graphic is more or less what I marked in red, with the approximate location of 19th Street marked out in purple:

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:09 PM

The free fare zone for Downtown/North Shore T stations is going to be continued, probably on more favorable terms for PAT:

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/7...#axzz3MLhDBIoz

It makes sense they could get better terms--in the first round it was still not clear how popular the NSC would be, but in fact it has greatly outperformed expectations and so the marketing value is higher.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:20 PM
Eurosceptic

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/7...ttsburgh-share

Quote:
German firm Nextbike to provide first 500 bikes for Pittsburgh sharing program

By Megan Harris
Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, 11:33 p.m.
Updated 5 hours ago

Five hundred German bicycles will arrive in Pittsburgh when officials spend $500,000 from a federal grant on a bike share program set to begin in the spring.

Provided by Nextbike, the share system will pepper pedaled vehicles in 50 stations throughout Downtown, the North Side, South Side Flats, Oakland and the East End.

Users would pay for the short-term rentals with a credit card that unlocks the bike from a wired or solar-powered station. Typically, someone would dock it later at another station and pay.

Bart Yavorosky, executive director of Pittsburgh Bike Share Partnership, said foundations ideally would support the project indefinitely, letting Pittsburgh become the first American city that treats its bike-share system as a public service, rather than a money-making venture.

“Prices in other cities can really take advantage of two types of users — those with annual memberships, and tourists,” he said. “We didn't want that. Bikes should be accessible to everyone, so to make that happen, we'd like to keep it down — no more than 50 cents an hour — and way cheaper than your typical bus fare at $2.50 a ride.”

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 9:54 PM
Eurosceptic

Howard Hanna and Langholz Wilson Ellis announce merger; will locate HQ Downtown.

http://www.post-gazette.com/breaking...s/201412190197

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 11:28 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Howard Hanna and Langholz Wilson Ellis announce merger; will locate HQ Downtown.

http://www.post-gazette.com/breaking...s/201412190197
Wow.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 12:16 AM

Not development, have to post this though, Ross Twp content. TROLOLA LA LAAA.

How One Man Is Terrorizing Neighbors With a Hostile Holiday Decoration Display
http://abcnews.go.com/US/man-terrori...ry?id=27671282

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 3:38 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Not development, have to post this though, Ross Twp content. TROLOLA LA LAAA.

How One Man Is Terrorizing Neighbors With a Hostile Holiday Decoration Display
http://abcnews.go.com/US/man-terrori...ry?id=27671282
Reminds me of a putz... named Jack Putz... Used to live at 3707 Oakleaf Dr. Pittsburgh until my parents bought the house in 1982. He terrorized the street with a bus! This guy used to drive Port Authority buses and park them on the front lawn because he was too lazy to drive them back to the garage...

Watching 20/20 now. I hope I didn't miss it.

On the side of development, it would be nice if those Bunchar buildings end up taller...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 11:50 AM

Nice article on the booming local hotel market leading to a hotel construction boom:

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/7...#axzz3MRBei5pK

Quote:
The year-to-date average daily occupancy rate in Pittsburgh hit 69.4 percent through November, according to data from Smith Travel Research. That's up from the 66 percent average through November 2012, and up from 61.8 percent in 2009. A hotel does well if its occupancy rate hovers around 63 percent, Ford said. “Even if you add a couple thousand guest rooms and that occupancy settles back to 65, 64 percent, you still have a very profitable market,” Ford said.

Pittsburgh area hotels raked in an estimated $669.1 million in revenue this year through November, up from $622.6 million during the period last year, a significant improvement from $453.5 million during the tail-end of the economic downturn in 2009, Smith Travel Research data show. This region's hotels generate an average daily return of $80.97 per room, up from $76.19 per room in 2013 and $62.61 per room in 2009. Year-to-date revenue per room is up 6.3 percent — nearly double the 2.5 percent national average.

By year's end, the national average daily occupancy is on pace to hit a 17-year high, and average daily rates and revenue-per-available-room should finish at record highs, Lodging Econometrics reports. The industry's favorable figures caught the attention of lenders, making it easier for developers to secure financing, Lodging Econometrics found. The research firm expects interest rates to stay at near-record lows through mid-2015.
The question, of course, is how long this sort of local growth is sustainable. I don't know, but I wonder how much of this is driven by increased visitation from the Northeast Coast, because that is a very big pool to be drawing on.

On other tidbit: apparently the scrapped AWC hotel was going to be a Radisson Blu. That's even more of a bummer--that would have been a nice brand to add. However, this sounds interesting:

Quote:
The developer — jilted when the sale of the August Wilson Center went to the Pittsburgh Foundation — has three projects in the works within city limits, GreatStay Hospitality partner Matthew Shollar said. He declined to specify locations but noted one would be a substantial project Downtown. “We are in the midst of dealing with a very exciting Downtown project that will bring another hotel with a unique set of features to Pittsburgh,” said Shollar of Squirrel Hill. “We've been interested in preservation and in adaptation.”

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 11:58 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Okay...

After reading that Trib article, I am psyched about the hotel rooms going up. More jobs are coming to Pittsburgh each year along with increased tourism, so is it any wonder why occupancy rates are increasing along with the amount of rooms being built?

I really want to find out what is in the wings as far as this "major" hotel development is concerned! Also, I wonder if any interest in the Mt. Washington hotel proposal will return given these new figures. I really hate what became of that proposal! They scrapped that 20-floor gem of a building for utter CRAP!

Now, especially with concrete residential/retail planned for that parking lot at the bottom of the incline, maybe someone might show more interest, especially with hotel funding getting a little easier to secure??

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 5:12 PM

It is great to see all the Strip development news, but the area still feels quite cut off from downtown, I guess because of not being on the same street grid. It would be interesting if the residential developers could partner with the strip district shops to sponsor a free shuttle/trolley between the strip and somewhere downtown like Market Square. A T extension would be better, but seems like that really just can't happen.

One other thing I am wondering about, regarding the discussion a few pages back about bringing a younger, carless demographic into downtown living... is there recent news on a downtown grocery?

Also wondering if any downtown residential developers are doing anything to attract them like getting some permanent zipcar spaces installed in front of the buildings, or offering remote parking options for those who have cars but won't use them often?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks2006 View Post
It is great to see all the Strip development news, but the area still feels quite cut off from downtown, I guess because of not being on the same street grid. It would be interesting if the residential developers could partner with the strip district shops to sponsor a free shuttle/trolley between the strip and somewhere downtown like Market Square. A T extension would be better, but seems like that really just can't happen.
A streetcar, probably along Smallman, was one of the recommendations of the recent planning exercises. Obviously cost is an issue, but I agree this is a good situation for that approach. But maybe a frequent, well-identified shuttle would work in the meantime.

Quote:
One other thing I am wondering about, regarding the discussion a few pages back about bringing a younger, carless demographic into downtown living... is there recent news on a downtown grocery?
The last I heard was a while back, and just that grocers were scouting locations but not committed. My understanding is the population is still too low to make the numbers work on grocery itself, so you would need prepared foods, maybe beer if you can get a six pack license, and marketing benefits to make up the difference.

Quote:
Also wondering if any downtown residential developers are doing anything to attract them like getting some permanent zipcar spaces installed in front of the buildings, or offering remote parking options for those who have cars but won't use them often?
I think the biggest thing like this is bike amenities, although I did hear once about owners talking to Zipcar.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 6:35 PM
Eurosceptic

Market Street Grocery will be opening soon in former Ciao Baby space.

And Strip District is on the same street grid as the Allegheny side of Downtown (Penn/Liberty). Strip feels disconnected due to swaths of surface parking controlled by Buncher between shopping area and convention center. Those lots will be developed soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations