HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 12:38 PM

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 8:28 PM
Meh

Great pics. It's amazing seeing these two completely separate construction sites function side by side. That area of downtown is really starting to come together and the vision for it is becoming clear now. Still, though, that electrical substation is the elephant in the room.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Great pics. It's amazing seeing these two completely separate construction sites function side by side. That area of downtown is really starting to come together and the vision for it is becoming clear now. Still, though, that electrical substation is the elephant in the room.
Agreed. Also worth noting that the substation is under a CVC, and so has limited redevelopment value. Won't be much reason for a private developer to take this one on if you can't get more than a Central Library-sized building out of the deal.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Agreed. Also worth noting that the substation is under a CVC, and so has limited redevelopment value. Won't be much reason for a private developer to take this one on if you can't get more than a Central Library-sized building out of the deal.
I believe that enough of it isn't covered to allow for a tower, al la 6th and Guadalupe.
At least that's what I remember from the last time I looked at a CVC map.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I believe that enough of it isn't covered to allow for a tower, al la 6th and Guadalupe.
At least that's what I remember from the last time I looked at a CVC map.
I think a VERY slender, angled tower (think Block 87) could be built on the Shoal Creek side of the site. But current zoning requiring setbacks from the creek would then kill any tower proposal.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 12:00 PM
World Traveler

I agree with many comments before that it will probably be a while before the substation goes away. The demand isn't high enough for anyone to fork over the money to relocate the substation and I can't imagine the city moving it as a stimulus thing to generate growth in downtown or anything...without one of those two things happening, I don't see it moving. The supply of decent sites in CBD and relatively near districts as well as Domain, etc., is just too high to justify it. That said, if there's a filthy rich fellow who lurks on this site and wants to improve the aesthetics of that area of downtown, "WE WANT YOU TO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN THERE." If there is a significant CVC there, build something for Austin Ballet or another use that would be a blessing to the community at large (perhaps with an emphasis on the arts in some way) and then build a monster tower on the current Austin Ballet lot.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 12:57 PM

Yep, probably best chance of getting it moved is if the city id's it as a potential site for a cultural attraction -- either the ballet, as you said, or a library expansion or a museum, etc.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 3:20 AM
Austinite

Yesterday, 8/19.

Last edited by Mopacs; Aug 21, 2017 at 3:36 AM. Reason: Additional pics.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 6:02 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
I like this one with the arches sticking out above the trees.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 9:12 PM

Today.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 2:48 AM

Here's a screen capture from a 360 (more like a 290) pano from Cielo's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/cielopropertygroup/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:57 PM

I've heard from multiple sources including someone from CBRE that Facebook finally signed their lease at Third & Shoal. They leased about 90% of the building so it will be the largest office lease signed this year. Around 320,000 square feet. I wonder if they will change the name of the building?

UPDATE: The number was exaggerated. Turns out Facebook leased 230,000 square feet, not 320. Floors 14-23. Still a big number however.

Last edited by AusTxDevelopment; Sep 22, 2017 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
I've heard from multiple sources including someone from CBRE that Facebook finally signed their lease at Third & Shoal. They leased about 90% of the building so it will be the largest office lease signed this year. Around 320,000 square feet. I wonder if they will change the name of the building?
That's big news. But it probably means they won't be leasing a large amount of space in 600 Guadalupe. Since 600 Guadalupe is across the street from their current offices I was hoping a large pre-lease by Facebook would help get that project on the fast track.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That's big news. But it probably means they won't be leasing a large amount of space in 600 Guadalupe. Since 600 Guadalupe is across the street from their current offices I was hoping a large pre-lease by Facebook would help get that project on the fast track.
Not that I know anything, just want to play connect the dots. What if this is Facebook moving their people from 300 W. 6th to 3rd & Shoal? That would free up a lot of space for someone to move into 300 W. 6th. That could be Amazon's first landing spot.

Combine the Block 71 building, 300 W. 6th and 600 Guadalupe and you've got a strong start to a H2Q. Then go for about 1m sq. ft. at both the Post Office site and the Courthouse lot and you're almost there. If they need more then pipe dream would be to tear down the county parking garage and/or the Hobby building. Fun to dream about H2Q

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Not that I know anything, just want to play connect the dots. What if this is Facebook moving their people from 300 W. 6th to 3rd & Shoal? That would free up a lot of space for someone to move into 300 W. 6th. That could be Amazon's first landing spot.

Combine the Block 71 building, 300 W. 6th and 600 Guadalupe and you've got a strong start to a H2Q. Then go for about 1m sq. ft. at both the Post Office site and the Courthouse lot and you're almost there. If they need more then pipe dream would be to tear down the county parking garage and/or the Hobby building. Fun to dream about H2Q
I was just posting about this in the 600 Guadalupe thread. It is very telling that these projects are only fast tracked when they have huge tenants lined up. If I remember correctly, 3rd & Shoal went from concept to under construction very quickly and obviously it was because of Facebook. 600 Guadalupe seems to be fast tracked as well which makes me think they have a huge tenant, potentially Amazon, lined up as well.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post

UPDATE: The number was exaggerated. Turns out Facebook leased 230,000 square feet, not 320. Floors 14-23. Still a big number however.
I re-quoted (bumped) your post since it had an important update.

Never mind Amazon, Facebook is in the process of establishing a significant downtown campus - 300 W. 6th, One American Center and now Third + Shoal (aka Facebook Tower?)

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 2:54 AM
Meh

Quote:

Never mind Amazon, Facebook is in the process of establishing a significant downtown campus - 300 W. 6th, One American Center and now Third + Shoal (aka Facebook Tower?)
They're on a binge right now. They're taking 436,000 square feet in San Francisco's 181 Fremont (awesome tower, btw).

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...137164&page=61

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:

Do we know if they'll keep their current spaces in Downtown or consolidate into one building at Third + Shoal? I guess I just assumed they would consolidate into one building and never considered them keeping their current space which would be awesome.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
Do we know if they'll keep their current spaces in Downtown or consolidate into one building at Third + Shoal? I guess I just assumed they would consolidate into one building and never considered them keeping their current space which would be awesome.
I was wondering that too. But an ABJ article from not too long ago about Facebook said they spent millions renovating their offices at one of their current buildings - One American Center I think. So I don't see them moving out of that building.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 6:55 PM

Today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin