HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 7:15 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
It's better than nothing.
Agreed on that point.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:21 PM

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/pr...1l91V7vbv7z3N/

I'm not really that familiar with rugby. How compatible are soccer and rugby stadiums? Seems odd to have two in town with similar capacity.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/pr...1l91V7vbv7z3N/

I'm not really that familiar with rugby. How compatible are soccer and rugby stadiums? Seems odd to have two in town with similar capacity.
USSF D-2 Professional Standards (which is where the Austin USL team will be) require that stadiums have a minimum capacity of 5,000. Perhaps the rugby stadium wouldn't have been big enough for D-2. USL has also launched a D-3 league but that doesn't seem like a very ambitious goal for a city of Austin's size and economic power.

I'm guessing that field dimensions (which are relatively similar) weren't a problem. So if capacity wasn't the biggest concern, finances probably were.
The USL team had the option of being a secondary tenant in an only slightly more central (but perhaps less convenient) location and paying rent, or using existing infrastructure essentially for free.

From a fan perspective, if I were to arrive at a stadium and see it surrounded by junkyards, a bus depot, and a jail I probably wouldn't think too highly of it. COTA is inconvenient, but at least it projects a certain level of professionalism. BTW I still hope the ambition is to go all the way to MLS.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:05 AM

Major League Soccer has trademarked "Austin FC" and "Austin Athletic".

https://twitter.com/j_cortinovis/sta...38873983991808

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 6:21 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
Major League Soccer has trademarked "Austin FC" and "Austin Athletic".

https://twitter.com/j_cortinovis/sta...38873983991808

Awesome! I'm a fan of "FC Austin" personally, though I could live with "Austin Athletic" as well. "FC Austin" seems a bit classier, I suppose.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:36 PM

Supporting Athletics

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Awesome! I'm a fan of "FC Austin" personally, though I could live with "Austin Athletic" as well. "FC Austin" seems a bit classier, I suppose.
Well now....I guess This makes us all...Austin Athletic Supporters

...somebody had to say it...don't forget to tip the wait staff...."good night Austin Texas where ever you are"

Last edited by Tyrone Shoes; Aug 23, 2017 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 12:30 AM

A minor USL futbol update from the Statesman:
http://racing.blog.statesman.com/201...zens-of-names/

The current soccer field at COTA from the article:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:41 AM

Please let this be real.

"The Major League Soccer team in Columbus, Ohio, intends to move to Austin in 2019 if ownership cannot secure a new stadium deal in Columbus. Columbus Crew SC owner Anthony Precourt, a Northern Californian with few ties to the Ohio capital city, has visited Austin several times in recent years and been in conversation with Austin leaders, multiple sources told the American-Statesman late Monday."

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/so...8xFjLuFuUGWPP/

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/16...ecourt-stadium

And please build stadium at the old Disch Field just west of Palmer Event Center #AustinAthletics

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 5:30 AM
Meh

I think Austin should focus on funding better transportation before committing millions of dollars to building sports facilities. Also, the finicky loyalty of sports fans that has been on display lately across the country has only reaffirmed my position that sports franchises aren't the smartest thing to spend money on long-term.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:11 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I think Austin should focus on funding better transportation before committing millions of dollars to building sports facilities. Also, the finicky loyalty of sports fans that has been on display lately across the country has only reaffirmed my position that sports franchises aren't the smartest thing to spend money on long-term.

Paying for the new arena at the Travis County Expo grounds should absolutely take precedence over a soccer stadium that will only be used a handful of times a year. Austin needs a sports/concert arena and the Erwin Center only has a few years left.

Maybe you can try to build them both at the expo grounds along with the new expo center

EDIT:

Adler says no public money would go towards a soccer stadium.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:41 AM
World Traveler

Yeah, I agree that public money shouldn't be spent in this case because we have other more pressing needs.

That said, this is a great opportunity for that relatively unknown billionaire to buy land, build a stadium, and put his name on it so we can have a team! And if said billionaire is reading this, here are my votes on the stadium location:

1. Statesman lot
By far my favorite choice. Eventually going to be a great MUD opportunity and hopefully a better transportation plan will enable streetcar connections to handle the crowds. A true downtown stadium - perhaps with views of the skyline if the stadium is designed right.

2. Riverside
There's a lot of land that could be redeveloped if the Catalyst proposal happens (I'm looking at you, Amazon!). Perhaps a stadium surrounded by MUD could fit into their plans. If not directly a part of the Catalyst development, then maybe nearby.

3. Domain
Though not central or part of the CBD, it is a growing hub for the region. One rail stop in the area and access to Mopac, 183, and 360.

4. St Elmo area??
Okay, I'm not sure if this is realistic. However, there are a lot of older industrial lots that could be redeveloped along the with proposed(?) market - more of a "neighborhood" stadium surrounded by appropriate MUD. Proximity to South Congress could be cool also and would perhaps be a perk for future transit connections to the area as well. Highway connections to Ben White and I-35.

5. East Austin??
Maybe even more of a stretch because this would require a lot of land and possibly losing some of the grid for a stadium-sized plot of land. However, it could be a neat vibe and great for MUD opportunities. Potentially close to a metro stop (Plaza Saltillo more likely than MLK)

Least favorite choices, but not really options since the Crew doesn't want a stadium too far from downtown:

- COTA
- Round Rock or Cedar Park
- somewhere along 130, maybe Manor?
- no where else, go to another city because our city can't build a downtown stadium

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 10:35 AM

Here's a quote from the Columbus Dispatch:

Quote:
One source close to the team said a deal to host home games at the University of Texas is “all but done” for 2019. The source also said Precourt paid $68 million — above market value — for the team in 2013 because he long entertained plans to move it. Another source said plans for a “pristine, waterfront development” in Austin are gaining steam.
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171...o-austin-texas

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 12:54 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

This would be a dream.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 1:08 PM

If there's any chance of Amazon HQ2 coming, I'd still prefer it at the Statesman site or the Catalyst site. A soccer stadium could do fine somewhere further east along the river.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 1:59 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

This sounds more like we are being used as a gambling chip to pressure leaders in Columbus to speed up with finalizing a new stadium more than anything IMO. The owner of the team mentioned that he expected public financing on a stadium with either city, but we all know that isn't going to happen here.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
This sounds more like we are being used as a gambling chip to pressure leaders in Columbus to speed up with finalizing a new stadium more than anything IMO. The owner of the team mentioned that he expected public financing on a stadium with either city, but we all know that isn't going to happen here.
Yeah the dynamic as described in the article is . . . weird. The owner sounds 99% certain he'll move to Austin. Unless Columbus builds him a new stadium. But even then. He's probably going to move, regardless. If I was Columbus I'd cut bait and send him packing to Austin. If he really wants to negotiate, he's kinda doing it back assward.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Yowza, that's exactly what I was thinking. And there's probably a zero chance of them building anything along the river, especially near downtown. Not to mention if they play at UT, there would be a ton of empty seats that at the very least would look horrible for gauging its popularity here. They should save the rent money and put it towards a purpose built stadium in Columbus like I think they would prefer to do anyway. Its kind of cool that Austin is the attractive bridesmaid that encourages bargaining chipping.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Here's a quote from the Columbus Dispatch:

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171...o-austin-texas
Here's another quote from that article:
Quote:
Precourt’s purchase agreement included a promise to keep Crew SC in Columbus for at least 10 years, as well as an escape clause in the event Precourt decided to move the team to Austin. Precourt declined to discuss the specifics of the purchase agreement.
It sounds as if the team's owner has had Austin in the back of his mind from the day he purchased the team.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:14 PM

ESPN also has an article on the potential move:
http://www.espnfc.us/columbus-crew-s...n-to-austin-tx

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Every city that has ever gotten a relocated sports team started out as a gambling chip to pressure leaders in the team's current city to build them an arena.

I don't see how it would be possible to build it on the Statesman land if it's privately financed. That's very expensive private land you would have to buy as oppose to leasing city land for super cheap and you would be putting the most infrequently used type of sports venues on it. MLS stadiums are only useful for MLS teams. We aren't going to be benefited by putting a college football team in there or a Rugby team. Any marquee national team soccer match is not going to a 20,000k seat stadium.

Building it in front of Parmer Events Center if the city will lease the land for $1 a year makes more sense for a privately financed stadium. You would need to expand the parking garages there but I think there was already a proposal to do that. Anywhere an arena goes will undoubtedly influence where the next failed light rail bond goes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin